First time using a rocker board - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

So last night I went to Cataloochee in NC to board some.. And I had 2 surprises.. 1- MLK weekend is their most popular weekend (who knew) and 2- I'll be damed if they didn't have a rep from Burton there, a concert, and all kind of stuff.. So I was actually able to get about 5min talk time with the rep regarding my Burton Blunt V-Rocker. So right or wrond I'm gonna share what he told me. Most of you guys probably already know this and when you think about it is common sense(ish). Obviously I can't remeber what he said word for word, but I told him some of my issues and his response is..

" When you buy a Rocker throw out the old mentality of my weight=? and my height=? so my board must=?. You weigh 240 , are 5'10" tall, and have a narrow stance riding groomers 90% of the time. For a camber board I would recommend a 158-160. For a Rocker I would recommend a 153-155. The reson being is the effective angle of the Rocker is design to have "X" amount of contact with the snow when on the board. This X value is a result of where a certain weight is applied to the board. Me being on a 160, but with a narrow stance, I'm not applying nearly enough pressure to the tip and tail of the board to get effective edge contact. Which is why I am getting major "drift" when riding and needing to lean excessivley when carving. Obviously the effects are not as drastic when riding pow, but the concept still apllies. If I want to stay with a Rocker I need to either widen my stance and keep my board, or get a shorter one to give more equal weight distribution. But enless I ride much park, for east cost groomers, he would never recommend a rocker. I should be on a camber or RCR or CRC. And also to let you know all rockers are not created equal. Some rockers are more "rockered" than others. For example. Sitting on a flat table.. and all mountain rocker will have less distance between the tips and the table than a freestyle rocker(which is more "Rockered")."

Ok.. Again just what he said regarding my situation. I thought was good info.. some stuff I never really thought about. If you guys disagree don't shoot the messenger, email Burton..lol.. Just thought I would share. I widened my stance after that and wow did my board perform better, but it killed my legs....
DaryleTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Anyway, I give up.
LOL. Sometimes you just can't win.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

You'll never win following the rules. Every board is different. Just because there is a list of some common cambers and rockers doesn't mean they all ride the same. And different companies have different ideas of what their cambers are.
xxxxxxxxxxDarkDrive00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDrive00 View Post
You'll never win following the rules. Every board is different. Just because there is a list of some common cambers and rockers doesn't mean they all ride the same. And different companies have different ideas of what their cambers are.
When you know how to ride, you can adjust to any board fairly easily. You're blaming equipment for your own shortcomings and taking offense when others try to point it out. You will do what you want, of course, but being defensive is not going to help you handle your board better. You've been given a good advice: learn to ride, take lessons.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

DIRECTLY FROM EVO's SITE;

Salomon Pulse Wide Snowboard 2013
Salomon Pulse Wide Snowboard redefines value and performance with features like a mellow flex and Directional Twin shape that will make riding more fun everyday day....
Rocker Type
Super Flat - All terrain versatility comes in this flat profile for catch free spins, honest presses and stability.

Anything NOT Camber seems to get referred to as "Rocker!" But neni & others are right,... It is a flat profile board! It might be raised some at the tips for float etc, but that is still technically NOT a rocker board! Not according to those specs!

I have a Rome Garage "Rocker!" It is a flat profile board, having the entire edge's running length in the snow at all times, except right at the contact points where it raises up slightly. I find it to be reasonably stable and turns just fine. In the right conditions!! It's not an ice rider, or super hard charging board. In soft snow, fresh & nice soft groomers! It Flies!! It will wash out on really hard carves and it's nowhere near as soft/flexible as yours BUT,.. as soft as your board is? I wouldn't expect it to carve all that well except maybe for the most experienced of riders!!

-edit-
Oh,.. and for the sake of clarity. I learned to ride on an 2010/11 Arbor Roundhouse 163W. Full Camber, directional twin, with a 2" setback stance! My other two boards are a Rome GR 159 and 2012/13 Never Summer Proto CT. Hybrid CRC 157,

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-19-2014 at 03:36 PM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Thank you!
Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
When you know how to ride, you can adjust to any board fairly easily. You're blaming equipment for your own shortcomings and taking offense when others try to point it out. You will do what you want, of course, but being defensive is not going to help you handle your board better. You've been given a good advice: learn to ride, take lessons.
I'm switching my board out because I don't like the feel of it. Good advice is not saying your probably horrible take lessons. Good advice would be maybe you should try adjusting your bindings, or yeah your going to need to ease up on turning on this board it's really sensitive, or asking what kind of snow do you typically ride on and gathering information to give the best advice. Unless all you guy's are instructors and need extra cash. let's get past the Rocker thing and just say it's not Cambered.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDrive00 View Post
I'm switching my board out because I don't like the feel of it. Good advice is not saying your probably horrible take lessons. Good advice would be maybe you should try adjusting your bindings, or yeah your going to need to ease up on turning on this board it's really sensitive, or asking what kind of snow do you typically ride on and gathering information to give the best advice. Unless all you guy's are instructors and need extra cash. let's get past the Rocker thing and just say it's not Cambered.
Nobody said you were horrible. People told you don't blame your equipment. Maybe your equipment ISN'T set up right, but springing for a lesson they would be able to let you know that too.

Somebody post the video of those dudes riding the 2x4's.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

...I will say this. After re-reading some of your earlier posts and the stuff you said about your rear foot being "too far back? Too much weight on the rear, Move the rear an inch?" If your stance & bindings are not centered tip to tail on the board, or for that matter, across the width of the board for your boots. Doesn't matter what the profile of the board is. It'll ride like shit if it rides at all!!!!

Have you checked and double checked all those things?

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #30 (permalink)

Just like that Burton guy told me. It's not that I have a bad board or I don't know what I'm doing. It's just for me and the kind of riding I like I needed to adjust my setup or get a different board or just keep riding until I adjust my skill-set to my setup. However, like has been said, if one knows how to ride, it may not be pretty, but you should be able to get on ANY board and make it down the mountain. You may be miserable by the time you get there, but you should get there. But it is easy to get a board that just doesn't suite you or feel awkward to you. If you cannot overcome that then it is just going to magnify your bad habits or lack of skill (if any). Like with my board that really is a rocker.. Adjusting my bindings helped, but I've determined it's just not for me, my local slope conditions, and riding style.

It seems a lot of times when people have trouble they blame the board and when they ask others(don't necessarily mean people on here) opinons they say it's a lack of skill.. IMO more times than not it falls somewhere in the middle. Wrong board for your conditions/skill level..

DarkDrive.. try not to get to defensive.. Neni, chomps, and others have given me and other people some damn good advise on here (they may not know it cause of me just reading other postings they've done). You could have the BEST board for your conditions, and best bindings in the world, and 50hrs straight of practice with it. But if your bindings/setup are wrong you will still be struggling. And that's on ANY board... I did the same thing.. Until I swallowed my pride and took a lesson (per the recommendations of others on here) best decision I ever made. He was able to point out things wrong with my technique and setup...

Last edited by DaryleTN; 01-19-2014 at 04:02 PM.
DaryleTN is offline   Reply With Quote