First time using a rocker board - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Damn.. I really need to learn how to post a comment without writing a freaking book!
DaryleTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDrive00 View Post
Good advice is not saying your probably horrible take lessons. Good advice would be maybe you should try adjusting your bindings, or yeah your going to need to ease up on turning on this board it's really sensitive,
It is a poor workman who blames his tools.

You can adjust your bindings until the cows come home, but it won't make a bit of difference to being able to simply stand up on your board without sliding down the hill.

And if you have problems doing something as simple as standing up on a flat board, then you have fundamental problems that no screwdriver is going to fix.

It's understandable, you've been off for 3 years, you didn't ride much before that, you have a short season, you're impatient to get riding like you did before and you have a new to you board.

Short of someone else jumping on your board and riding the snot out of it without adjusting anything, you're not going to listen to anything you don't want to hear.

So get get a screwdriver and do whatever you were going to do in the first place.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It is a poor workman who blames his tools.

You can adjust your bindings until the cows come home, but it won't make a bit of difference to being able to simply stand up on your board without sliding down the hill.

And if you have problems doing something as simple as standing up on a flat board, then you have fundamental problems that no screwdriver is going to fix.

It's understandable, you've been off for 3 years, you didn't ride much before that, you have a short season, you're impatient to get riding like you did before and you have a new to you board.

Short of someone else jumping on your board and riding the snot out of it without adjusting anything, you're not going to listen to anything you don't want to hear.

So get get a screwdriver and do whatever you were going to do in the first
place.
Let me get this straight, so if my binding is set farther back my body would not naturally lean farther back due to my wider stance leaving me UN-centered or do the laws of physics not effect you as well.
xxxxxxxxxxDarkDrive00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
it is a poor workman who blames his tools.

So get get a screwdriver and do whatever you were going to do in the first place.
[/thread]

advice don't come better than that right there. ..
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Somebody post the video of those dudes riding the 2x4's.
Is this the one?
Got Wood? Pinewood Derby Snowboard: Every Third Thursday - YouTube

OP don't sweat it. I'm considering getting coaching even because I want my technique to be better. I want to make the most of my time on the snow.
KansasNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Let me get this straight, so if my binding is set farther back my body would not naturally lean farther back due to my wider stance leaving me UN-centered or do the laws of physics not effect you as well.
Then put it farther forward. Is that what you want to hear?

Don't forget to adjust your canting, forward lean and rotate your highbacks
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasNoob View Post
55 mph on a 2x4
Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
DIRECTLY FROM EVO's SITE
As for consulting evo or other online shops fore information on gear... take their information with a pinch of salt. Just as an example: the Flagship was rated as intermediate board some weeks ago (they corrected this by now), blue-tomato shows a profile of a hybrid rocker for it (instead of a hybrid camber which would be correct), and the size charts on blue-tomato gives EUR sizes of US men's sizes for women's boots. It's always best to check on the manufacterers sites, them shops are full of mistakes.

OP, it can well be that having the wrong stance set up affects your balance, especially in the beginning. I need some runs on a new board till I find the right position and have a screwdriver in my pocket the first day. I always begin to set up centered stances i.e. symmetrical from the middle inserts. If the baseplate don't allow to take the middle ones or the stance is too narrow/wide, go one further outwards or inwards mirrored with both bindings, depending on your stance width. My stance width usually doesn't fit the inserts symmetrically thus I have the hind one one insert further back.

Considering the lessons... I never had one which I sometimes regret. Decided to learn to ride switch recently and made a complete idiot of myself, not being able to link two turns (which was a bit embarrassing; I'm riding many moons and expected it to be easier). It took a friend - who was an instructor - only some minutes to point out the major faults and give me some hints how to work on them, and see, I was mastering the hill backwards (still very clumsy but no longer on my butt ) Point is: I would have figured it out somehow somewhen as well, but progress is so much easier if someone who has learned to teach (learned to use the right words and to analyze movements) can give hints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryleTN View Post
Damn.. I really need to learn how to post a comment without writing a freaking book!
I'm so guilty of that as well

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 01-20-2014 at 02:54 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
They mean centered as in your center mass (hips) being centered between your feet. Binding location has nothing to do with whether or not your core is between your feet. You are referring to whether or not you are centered on your board, they mean whether or not your weight is centered on you. Your board has a set back stance, so no matter where you put your bindings you will never be centered on your board.

Their advice is make sure your center mass is not over your back foot, because if it is then that is pulling your nose off the ground (i.e. a constant butter) if your nose/ front foot is not getting good contact with the snow, then any board is going to be unstable and terrible when turning, your front foot is your steering wheel.

Try and understand what they are saying, whether it is the situation or not. You misunderstanding and firing back aggressively is why their comments got harsh. Chill, diagnose the problem, thank everyone for advice, and enjoy snowboarding

Last edited by a4h Saint; 01-19-2014 at 07:44 PM.
a4h Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
As for consulting evo or other online shops fore information on gear... take their information with a pinch of salt...

.... It's always best to check on the manufacterers sites, them shops are full of mistakes.
It honestly never ocurred to me that the specs listed on the site would be wrong, but I was just using the link the OP provided and was using to keep telling everyone it was a rockered board. When the link he provided clearly said it was a flat profile. Regardless good point about going straight to manf. site for specs.

Evo listed it as a twin board with directional flex. If that's actually the shape of this board? It shouldn't have a setback stance should it? I know some riders will add setback to a twin to ride POW. But you wouldn't want to do that on a twin for everyday riding would you?

EDIT ADDED:
....Damn, misread my own copy n paste. It is listed as a directional twin. So as mentioned it will always have the bindinngs off center. If you actually center them on a directional board? That would fuck up the ride characteristics.

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 01-19-2014 at 08:34 PM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote