First time using a rocker board - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you are constantly spinning out and you say you put too much weight on your back foot that's the problem. you should not put more weight on your back foot. you are doing what people call noob error sitting in the back seat and when you try to turn, what happens is you kick the back of your board out and you start spinning. always initiate turn with your front foot not back. weight more on your front foot.
rent a camber if you think its your board but mostly not.

Last edited by speedjason; 01-20-2014 at 09:34 AM.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasNoob View Post
Is this the one?
Got Wood? Pinewood Derby Snowboard: Every Third Thursday - YouTube

OP don't sweat it. I'm considering getting coaching even because I want my technique to be better. I want to make the most of my time on the snow.
Yep. That's the one. Perfect for anybody who says it's their board's fault they're having challenges.

I sought out some coaching last year too. If you recognize a limitation in your progression, the fastest way past it is to get help. If your days are valuable, then get the most value out of them.

Troll -- 1
Afton -- 3
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #43 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Yep. That's the one. Perfect for anybody who says it's their board's fault they're having challenges.

I sought out some coaching last year too. If you recognize a limitation in your progression, the fastest way past it is to get help. If your days are valuable, then get the most value out of them.
Who/where did you go to?
KansasNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I went from a stiff camber to rockered board and while the feel was different, it wasn't even close to what you describe. Once you stand up, all boards flatten out and the effective edge is in contact with the snow. It's what they do when you unweight or "overweight" them that makes them different.

But not being able to stand up because you couldn't get on edge? Ummm...that's not the board

Sounds like your weight isn't close to the center.
I agree with that too.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 AM   #45 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasNoob View Post
Who/where did you go to?
I just booked an hour private with a guy at Afton. I don't really know anybody who rides anywhere near as much as I do around here, so I just told them what was up and they gave me a guy that was pretty experienced. He rode with me a bit, had me do a couple things to see what was I was doing. Told me what I was doing, I fixed it (and learned how to tell if I slipped into it again). Saved me a ton of time on wasted progression.

Troll -- 1
Afton -- 3
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDrive00 View Post
Let me get this straight, so if my binding is set farther back my body would not naturally lean farther back due to my wider stance leaving me UN-centered or do the laws of physics not effect you as well.
Look you got a pretty sweet entry level board to refine your skills. If it's going to take a brand spanking new board to get you stoked again & on the hill then go for it. But until you put in the time & practice don't expect dramatic results. What most people that know there shit are trying to point out is a lesson or two will help you maximize that time & practice, Thus equaling faster progression.
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #47 (permalink)

Just read through this whole thread. Its a bit sad. From what I see this is what I think is really happening...
The OP, coming from a skateboard background where he was sponsored and better than the average rider, really feels some type of way about not being able to take to snowboarding as easily as he did skateboarding. Hence his opposition to the suggestions of taking lessons. People have given some really great advice about centering yourself (body weight) but it appears to have fallen on deaf ears. He doesn't want to accept that his skills are possibly the issue and would instead choose to place blame on the board.

I have sort of been in the same boat. First time I went riding I only watch a couple of youtube videos and used a rental (its was like a 149 they gave me). I road fine all day. No problem turning, stopping, getting up, etc etc. Next year bought my own board; Burton Flying V 157. Fell A LOT. Had a hard time controling my turns. Couldn't get up to any speed without getting squirrely. Started thinking it was the boards fault for being a hybrid. But I humbled myself. Thought to myself, "This board was made this way intentionally. I'm not the only one out here with hybrid. So clearly it CAN be ridden....just not by me right now." So I needed to find out what I was doing wrong. Luckily I found this forum. Read lots of threads and comments from people who could ride a lot better, harder, faster and steeper than me. Help me TREMENDOUSLY. Perhaps thats what the OP needs to do. Humble himself, let go of the defensiveness and heed the advice of those who CAN ride the same type of board that he is having trouble with.
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote