Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Guessing I Need a Good Re-Wax? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/120905-guessing-i-need-good-re-wax.html)

paul 01-19-2014 08:10 PM

Guessing I Need a Good Re-Wax?

hoping to ask a stupid question here wondering if anyone has encountered such a thing..... was out last weekend during the warm spell; rode through rain, sleet, and snow. Board was fast while it was rainy with fog. Slowed down a bit through the day as it got colder.

Fast forward to tonight, myself and someone else that I was with put their boards on and there was basically no glide to them at all. It was like there was a set of brakes on. Going down the hill was painful and unsafe feeling. Temps tonight were much cooler (-16 C). Heelside braking was hard to do and would almost make you feel like falling. Things got a little faster though the night but not much of an improvement. Is this a sign of wax that isn't rated for the cold temp on my board or, the need for another wax job? Is it possible the warm conditions last weekend stripped the board and/or did something to the base?

The bottom doesn't really seem like it is drying out by looking at it

Oldman 01-20-2014 09:23 AM

Are you on an Extruded or Sintered Base?

When was the last time you waxed and what wax did you use?

paul 01-20-2014 12:37 PM

co-extruded (according to gnu)

Board was hot waxed at the end of last season at the shop, and just some rub on cold wax this year.

speedjason 01-20-2014 02:09 PM

rain and sheet really make the wax wear off quick. I rode one day in rain and sheet all the wax was gone on my board. usually lasts about 3 days on okay groomer but only like half day on rain and sheet.

baldylox 01-20-2014 03:19 PM

Rub on wax is pointless. It's gone in one run and is bad for the environment. Hot wax with a cold temperature wax every 2 or 3 days on the hill.

The reason a snowboard glides is because the friction of the base against the snow melts a very thin layer of water, which the snowboard glides on. The colder it is the less the snow melts. At extremely cold temperatures, <10F, the ice crystals actually stick into the base creating that awful drag.

paul 01-20-2014 05:25 PM

thanks guys, that's kind of what I figured too. off to the shop I go until I break down and buy myself an iron :)

Bones 01-20-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedjason (Post 1453417)
rain and sheet really make the wax wear off quick. I rode one day in rain and sheet all the wax was gone on my board. usually lasts about 3 days on okay groomer but only like half day on rain and sheet.

The warmer the snow, the bigger the ice crystals that form. Slush, spring corn, etc. will strip your wax faster than steel wool.

Save your money on paste waxes and and buy an iron. Even a hot wax with a walmart iron and cheap wax will serve you better.

baldylox 01-21-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 1454209)
The warmer the snow, the bigger the ice crystals that form. Slush, spring corn, etc. will strip your wax faster than steel wool.

The opposite of this is true.

KIRKRIDER 01-21-2014 11:15 AM

Probably too cold for the wax you were using. I had the same happening to me in a really cold day. All temp / cold weather wax should help.

stickz 01-21-2014 12:21 PM

iron is $5 bucks at value village or goodwill