hovercraft or raptor - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hovercraft or raptor

hey everyone,
just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice.
i'm looking for a second board for my 2 board quiver
i am 6' tall
193lbs
size 12 boot
7the season riding
i have a jones mt twin right now 161 to have fun around the mountain, i got it this season.
i'm trying to decide between the jones hovercraft, and the NS raptor.
i've owned a heritage and enjoyed it, i wanted something more playful and ended up with the mt twin.
i know the 2 boards are different but, i get out west from NYC unto 15days a season, would it be worth me getting a powder board? i am headed to japan this winter for 9 days of riding. would the hovercraft be marginally better in the pow or will it be a world of difference compared to the Raptor?
MrRaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

honestly the raptor will mot be much difference from your mountain twin in powder. the hovercraft is a pow specific board, basically you're looking at a freeride board or a pow board here.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Those are two really weird boards to be deciding between. The Hovercraft is a pure pow stick while the Raptor is a freeride beast, but not really pow specific.

If you live on the ice coast, I wouldn't buy a pow stick. If it's dumping when you come out west, demo one for a day or two.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Those are two really weird boards to be deciding between. The Hovercraft is a pure pow stick while the Raptor is a freeride beast, but not really pow specific.

If you live on the ice coast, I wouldn't buy a pow stick. If it's dumping when you come out west, demo one for a day or two.
well thats what i'm kind of getting at, would a pow specific board be worth it over the raptor which is suppose to be gray of what it is in pow.
i don't mind shelling out the extra coin if it is going to make the days i am riding pow that much better.after demoing a board 4-5 times a season, thats my pow stick.. unfortunately i missed the NS demo day out here,and i'd kind of have to get lucky to catch a demo day out west unless i plan my trip around one.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
honestly the raptor will mot be much difference from your mountain twin in powder. the hovercraft is a pow specific board, basically you're looking at a freeride board or a pow board here.
if that is the case, the hovercraft would be my better option..i know it might seem like a dumb comparison. but there are a lot of insightful people on here. i'm just thinking out loud. but your response did help.. thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nothing like riding a true pow stick on a pow day. Like having sex for the first time with no rubber.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

brand new there's a decent difference in price between the 2. Based on price alone for a board you will only really use on trips, the hover would be the winner in my opinion. When you add in a trip to japan, the hover becomes the clear choice. I'd size up for japan though. Added bonus the hover handles decently on groomers, but your twin will be the go to for groomer days
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote