IM A NOOB!!!!!!!! hello everyone - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wardog826

Default IM A NOOB!!!!!!!! hello everyone

Hello my name is Jake, im 16, I live in Massachusetts, and here is my story.....

I have always wanted to learn to snowboard and now that I have a girlfriend who loves to snowboard I figured that I should actually take action because its something that we can both do together.

But lately everyone has been telling me that I shouldnt including my girlfriend her mom and my best friend. My girlfriend doesnt want to have to feel like she has to be with me (a noob) and that I will stop her from going off and doing what she wants. My friend and gf mom just think that I will suck and I shouldnt even attempt it.

But I still want to do it for my own benefit and because I have always wanted to try it.

I have afew questions that I would like to ask to you kind snowboarders out there in the forum.

1) Is there anyway i could do to prepare for my first few times?
such as muscles I should work or excercises I could do to make learning a lot easier.

2) I plan to buy my own equipment....What do you guys recommend? send me some links of stuff that you think I should buy or just cool lookin boards, boots, jackets etc.

3) I really want to dedicate a good amount of time to learning snowboarding and getting good. But also looking forward to having a lot of fun once I learn

4) Last question....what do you think I should do about the situation with everyone trying to discourage me and tell me not to try snowboarding cuz I cant do it?

All posts are appreciated thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well for the discouraging part, I suggest you stick two fingers up clearly in front of their face and tell them where to shove it. Maybe go for some lessons first to get the hang of it and once your able to string turns together head out a bit with your gf.

Also as for having fun when your learning, just chill out and dont take it too seriously, yes your gonna fall and you might feel silly in front of people. But everyone was once like that and if you can laugh about it you'll probably end up having a great time.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

1) Don't worry too terribly much about being prepared physically. There's not much you can do for the aches and pains until after the fact.

2) Rent first. It's generally not a good idea to invest close to a grand's worth of equipment, only to find out you don't really like the sport.

3)

4) Discouraging you from trying to learn how to snowboard? Tell them to can it. At least you're willing to get out there and try. Those who are discouraging you...have they even TRIED the sport yet?

As for the gf thing, take a few lessons to get the hang of things, and if she still doesn't wanna hang with you cause you're a n00b then...I probably shouldn't go there.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

thats kinda shady she doesnt want you to take up the sport cause she doesnt want to hang with you on the mountain...but like everyone else said- go for it, rent equipment or buy cheap used stuff and then once youre a baller on the slope throw that shit in everyones face that said you couldnt do it
X1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wardog826

wow guys thanks for the advice its all apreciated greatly keep the comments coming and I will definitely take all of these things into consideration and guys i really do apreciate it
Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
st.stark

Yeah man, take some lessons and if it turns out you like it we can throw some brands and prices up in the air for you. Renting is definately worth it considering you are going to invest $300-400 at least no matter what your skill level. Oh, and one last thing, what is your gf able to do on the slopes?? If she just rides the hills and doesn't go in the park you should be able to learn enough to ride with her in a few weeks if you often enough. But yeah Wardog826 don't worry about what anyone thinks no matter if you like the sport or not! Cause if you do you'll be able to say I told you so, and if not there's no harm done cause you should've had fun just trying it. ^-^ Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
st.stark

Oh, and if you want to check out some kool places to buy some gear check out the links below.
The House Boardshop Snowboards Snowboard Boots Bindings Clothing
BuySnow.com
EternalSnow.com
Burton Snowboards and Skis, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews
Old 10-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains

Dude that is f'ed up. If it is something you want to do for you go for it. Don't let someone discourage you from doing what you want. As far as buying your own gear it depends on how much you are gunna go riding in a season. If you are only gunna make it out a few times then I wouldn't say buy your own stuff.
Dcp584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
kriscougars

just board man...If you don't have that much of a budget chech out some forum rides and burtons for jackets and stuff like that just buy watever looks cool.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Girls lie like no other.... She might be able to snowboard but I wouldn't think she will show everybody up on the mountain. Or maybe she can. Girls exaggerate. EX: one time we were playing beach volleyball and we needed 1 person. Well we called up this chick who said she played in a league and how fun and good she actually is. She couldn't hit the damn ball over the net. Couldn't return/serve I dont know if she got the sport confused or what.
rrrtx is offline   Reply With Quote