Convex base (edge-to-edge). Thoughts? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Question Convex base (edge-to-edge). Thoughts?

Iíve an almost new board (RCR; mellow rockered tip/tail) which felt slightly (read as: really only tiny bit) squirrelly straight lining if weighted a bit more on the front. Had the impression, that this wasnít the case with the demo model (same size), but hey, could be different conditions, form of the day, false memory and what not. It is perfectly ridable, big fun; but still, there were this eeeh moments flatbasing when it didnít hold a line as well as I would have liked/expected, i.e. I had to be very focused riding flat with weight more on the front (speed gain mode).

When I brought it to our service station to get the edges sharpened - they use a huge fancy machine for edge/base grinding - the guy told me, that the board had a flawed base. It is not flat edge-to-edge at the front just where the contact points are as it should be, but slightly convex; the machine couldnít sharpen the edge at the front without grinding away part of the base in the middle (edge-to-edge). He showed it by using a metal ruler, and yes, the base is effectively slightly convex edge-to-edge at the front, perfectly flat within the rest of the board. By eye judging it's about 1.5mm.

He recommended to sacrifice part of the convex bit of the base i.e. flatten the base by stone grinding. But he also said, that he wouldnít grind till itís perfectly flat, Ďcos too much base-depth would get lost, which would shorten the lifetime of the board.

Iíve no clue, if this is entirely right, if it actually is a flaw (euphemistically: manufacturer variance) or intended. I never gave a thought about how the edge-to-edge base profile has to look like, assumed flat is key Ė itís complicated enough to keep track of all the profile differences tip-to-tail - but this service guy is usually pretty reliable, and it made sense to me; I agreed, base got grinded a tad, now only a tad convex, and I indeed have the impression that it actually improved the superficial squirrelly feeling.

What's your take? Base should be flat edge-to-edge, not? If not, why? If yes, should I grind it till it's flat? Or will the lifespan really suffer? Talking in days/years/decades? What's the problem if the base is thinner at some spots?

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Iíve an almost new board (RCR; mellow rockered tip/tail) which felt slightly (read as: really only tiny bit) squirrelly straight lining if weighted a bit more on the front. Had the impression, that this wasnít the case with the demo model (same size), but hey, could be different conditions, form of the day, false memory and what not. It is perfectly ridable, big fun; but still, there were this eeeh moments flatbasing when it didnít hold a line as well as I would have liked/expected, i.e. I had to be very focused riding flat with weight more on the front (speed gain mode).

When I brought it to our service station to get the edges sharpened - they use a huge fancy machine for edge/base grinding - the guy told me, that the board had a flawed base. It is not flat edge-to-edge at the front just where the contact points are as it should be, but slightly convex; the machine couldnít sharpen the edge at the front without grinding away part of the base in the middle (edge-to-edge). He showed it by using a metal ruler, and yes, the base is effectively slightly convex edge-to-edge at the front, perfectly flat within the rest of the board. By eye judging it's about 1.5mm.

He recommended to sacrifice part of the convex bit of the base i.e. flatten the base by stone grinding. But he also said, that he wouldnít grind till itís perfectly flat, Ďcos too much base-depth would get lost, which would shorten the lifetime of the board.

Iíve no clue, if this is entirely right, if it actually is a flaw (euphemistically: manufacturer variance) or intended. I never gave a thought about how the edge-to-edge base profile has to look like, assumed flat is key Ė itís complicated enough to keep track of all the profile differences tip-to-tail - but this service guy is usually pretty reliable, and it made sense to me; I agreed, base got grinded a tad, now only a tad convex, and I indeed have the impression that it actually improved the superficial squirrelly feeling.

What's your take? Base should be flat edge-to-edge, not? If not, why? If yes, should I grind it till it's flat? Or will the lifespan really suffer? Talking in days/years/decades? What's the problem if the base is thinner at some spots?
In a perfect world all bases are flat. In reality not many are. You can grind it till its flat or you grind through the base which is usually 1.2mm thick.
Personally I would give it a slight grind and an edge bevel of half or one degree more than it has now.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

This isn't a Bataleon board, right? Cause they are shaped like that: Bataleon And they are ground in 3 steps.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
In a perfect world all bases are flat. In reality not many are. You can grind it till its flat or you grind through the base which is usually 1.2mm thick.
Personally I would give it a slight grind and an edge bevel of half or one degree more than it has now.
Thanks! Gonna check my other boards with a ruler, curious if all have such divergences I was oblivious to so far Good to know the number! The service guy said he's not sure but thinks, bases are about 3mm thick, so lucky me that he cautiously only grinded a tad

Just to be sure: you're talking about side edge bevel (and not base edge bevel)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstinky View Post
This isn't a Bataleon board, right? Cause they are shaped like that: Bataleon And they are ground in 3 steps.
No, it's a Ride but thanks for the hint, gonna read about Bataleon. First guess is that it's for things as rails? There's so much to learn

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 01-20-2014 at 07:38 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I'd be checking to see if I could warranty the board for one with a flat base. I love what a base grind does for the speed of the board, and wouldn't want to limit how many times I could get a base grind!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

re: bataleon

i really enjoy TBT, and i would imagine that the convex bit in the front would give you some awesome float in the soft stuff. perhaps even grinding it in a few steps like one would tune a bataleon board would leave the base thickness intact and enable you to get the edges crispy.

could be that you have a hybrid board by luck/mistake and can prove to be really awesome once you get your legs confident on how to handle it flat based!
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote