Ideal waist width for freestyle riding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ideal waist width for freestyle riding

I was wondering what everyone's take on the effect waist width has on freestyle performance. I recently trashed my Arbor Blacklist in the park and had to switch back to my old board which is about 8cm narrower. I really liked the Blacklist which is a midwide board and felt comfortable on any jump I could find but now that I've switched back to my old board, about 8cm narrower, I couldn't help but feel like the board was a little unstable when hitting jumps. Maybe I just need some time to adjust to the difference, or maybe the jumps they had setup were just poorly built (a common occurrence). What kind waist widths does everyone else look for in a good freestyle/jump board? For the record I'm 6'1 205 lbs and wear size 12 boots with a 15/-15 stance.
Bear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mid/Upper 250s to low 260s for your size. I'm 5'10" 185lbs with 11.5 boots and have a 258cm waist width and I feel its just about right. I wouldn't go too much bigger though, it would feel too wide.
BiG NicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I prefer a wider board width for freestyle. It allows to ride a shorter board while providing stability, especially when landing bigger jumps. I also like more surface area of the board to put down on a box or rail.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input, I took my blacklist to a board shop and they did what they could to get a little more life out of it but I'll probably try and snag a wide freestyle board when the end of the season clearances start up and just keep the old one around for backup.
Bear42 is offline   Reply With Quote