When to stop renting and buy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to stop renting and buy

I am a newbie coming from the world of windsurfing (where I bought gear right away).

I am renting gear day by day but wonder, at what point do I buy a board? What is the learning curve and when would I advanced to a point to use the same board for a few years at least? I honestly see myself boarding 10 times a year so don't want to pack in a lot of cash yet do want a nice board eventually.

Thanks in advance
caribchakita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

if you already went snowboarding and really like it I would say go buy it and if your gonna go 10 times a year its a good investment
Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I rode 40 times on my first board/binding kit I picked up used for $200. If you like riding, pick something up soon. You'll be glad ya did.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I weigh 120-125 and am 5'2". I rented a 140 and a 138 I think. What would be recommended and are there any great used gear forums or is buying new more advised? Again, I come from a windsurfing perspective where buying used gear is the norm.
caribchakita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
I weigh 120-125 and am 5'2". I rented a 140 and a 138 I think. What would be recommended and are there any great used gear forums or is buying new more advised? Again, I come from a windsurfing perspective where buying used gear is the norm.
I'd definitely look into used. Geartrade is great, but I got my first stuff at play it again sports. There's probably a used sporting goods store near you (or theres always CL). Size wise is weight, riding style, and type of board dependent. Height is irrelevant. Sounds like they have ya in the ballpark though.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Eventually the costs add up to warrant buying cheap second hand gear.

From memory renting a snowboard twice cost the same as my first (second hand) board.
Jollybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Also might want to look at last years closeout deals. I spent a little more on bindings so once I progress past my beginner style board I can just transfer them to new board in future. There are some good deals if you look around
sdm74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Buying used may limit you a little bit but be patient for something that will work for you in terms of snowboard lenght and profile. Either get the board and bindings as a combo or seperate but be sure to do a quick google search/review or ask some of the guys/girls on this forum. I will say if your feet are done growing to buy boots new as they will last you a while with ~10 days of riding a year. Even if the tech gets "old" before you retire your gear don't be discouraged as it's still very rideable.
zoom111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

If money isn't a big issue, I recommend buying a better first board. If you can demo boards from a mountain store that's great. When I was starting out I had a cheap board that was pretty hard to ride. I got a second board on sale. It was much better but still pretty tough. Then I demoed a Never Summer Infinity and it was really fun to ride, not too stiff, more flex. My riding really changed when I had a board I felt more comfortable on. I usually ride a Roxey now, similar rocker camber and a little stiffer, but still have the infinity.

I thought I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on demo's because I was a beginner, but that wasn't true at all.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

buy right away if you are determined. stop wasting money on rentals.
I've put more than 10 days on my setup so I am pretty close to making my money back. besides rentals suck.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote