Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Libtech Hot knife size help! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/121321-libtech-hot-knife-size-help.html)

ek9max 01-20-2014 08:35 PM

Libtech Hot knife size help!

Ok. Well it looks like i'm wokring my way through the whole libtech line up.

This year I've bought the 155cm gnu impossible, 154cm TRS HP, 153cm TRICE HP. Got about 8 days on each of them.

I like the TRICE HP the best.

Yesterday I was ripping a hard pack groomer day with my buddy on his Burton custom X and I really just couldn't hold a carve like he could with my c2btx Trice.

I wanna try out the C3btx Hot knife as I've read a few awesome reviews.

I'm 5'8" 160lbs. Intermediate.

Should I get a 153cm or 156cm? I like my 153cm Trice but I think I like it because the the blunted tip makes it ride like a bigger board....

Thanks in Advance.

Lstarrasl 01-20-2014 09:52 PM

Are you serious? You bought all those boards this year?

ek9max 01-20-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lstarrasl (Post 1455217)
Are you serious? You bought all those boards this year?

Ya. 3 boards in the 2.5 months this season has been open. And I just started at the tail end of last season.

Totally addicted to riding. So I'm just trying a lot of stuff to see what I like the most.

Once I find it I'm sure I'll slow down on the purchases.

Lstarrasl 01-20-2014 11:12 PM

Well there's a good chance he kept his edge better than you because of his skill. I think you should pick one of those boards you have and just ride the crap out of it rather than get a new board. A Lib with camber won't make you a better rider, you riding with better riders will get you to where you want to be. Any of the 3 boards you have will be good for you.

But good choice of board manufacturers! Where do you ride?

ek9max 01-20-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lstarrasl (Post 1455457)
Well there's a good chance he kept his edge better than you because of his skill. I think you should pick one of those boards you have and just ride the crap out of it rather than get a new board. A Lib with camber won't make you a better rider, you riding with better riders will get you to where you want to be. Any of the 3 boards you have will be good for you.

But good choice of board manufacturers! Where do you ride?

Alberta, Canada.

No doubt that he's better than me. So I could use any advantage that I can get! lol

I know that I'm gonna get some haters out there telling me not to buy so many boards. But I'm in a position that I can try a lot of boards and not have to worry about it. So I may as well take advantage of it! And really.... Who doesn't like riding a brand new board all the time! :)

When I started last year I went through a couple used boards to see if I even liked snowboarding. I had a 2009 Burton X8 155cm and a 2009 Custom X 163cm.

Both were traditional camber and obviously the Custom X was way too big for me. But I do remember that flat basing was VERY stable. Ever since I switch to these hybrid rocker libtech's I don't feel that stability in flat basing. And I'm 50x better now than I was last year.

So I'm really looking forward to trying out the C3btx, but I just can't seem to decide if I want the 153 or 156cm.

The 153cm trice hp I have has a contact length of 118.5cm which makes it rides much bigger than 153cm..... So I'm thinking the 156cm Hot Knife because it has a 117cm contact length..... But the 156 vs 153cm scares me for some reason.

Lstarrasl 01-20-2014 11:48 PM

Get the 156, you'll be fine. Look on a ruler how big 3 cm is and then get back to me...

ek9max 01-20-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lstarrasl (Post 1455513)
Get the 156, you'll be fine. Look on a ruler how big 3 cm is and then get back to me...

According to my personal man organ ruler 3cm is huge! LOL

ryannorthcott 01-21-2014 03:16 PM

haha as soon as i read you bought all of those boards i was thinking yep, must be from alberta the land of excess.
to answer the question i would go with the 156, sounds like you like to rip fast so i would lean towards a longer deck. 3 cm is not a big difference though as has been noted. although i am not sure if you are going to find what you are looking for by trying out another board, i'd stick with the t.rice if you dig it

lab49232 01-21-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ek9max (Post 1455489)
And really.... Who doesn't like riding a brand new board all the time! :)

Not hating, but actually a lot of people here will say they don't like riding a new board all the time. Take time to fully LEARN your board. A few days doesn't do it. Each board will have a different ride and will take a while to master it to where youre actually getting everything out of the board. Switching boards constantly will actually slow down your learning and have you behind your friend. And with you riding everything from Gnu's most expensive board to a smattering of the Lib line is definitely going to keep you guessing about exactly what the board is gonna do under your feet.

Put a mediocre guy on a board he knows like the back of his hand and a slightly more experienced rider on a board he's never ridden before like the Impossible and the mediocre guy will keep up with/if not outperform the guy on the new board most of the time. Just something to think about. Very jealous you have access to all those boards though :bowdown:

ek9max 01-21-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lab49232 (Post 1457105)
Not hating, but actually a lot of people here will say they don't like riding a new board all the time. Take time to fully LEARN your board. A few days doesn't do it. Each board will have a different ride and will take a while to master it to where youre actually getting everything out of the board. Switching boards constantly will actually slow down your learning and have you behind your friend. And with you riding everything from Gnu's most expensive board to a smattering of the Lib line is definitely going to keep you guessing about exactly what the board is gonna do under your feet.

Put a mediocre guy on a board he knows like the back of his hand and a slightly more experienced rider on a board he's never ridden before like the Impossible and the mediocre guy will keep up with/if not outperform the guy on the new board most of the time. Just something to think about. Very jealous you have access to all those boards though :bowdown:

I got 8-10 days on each board before I go to the next. Since I'm late getting into the hobby, I think i'm trying to make up for lost time! lol

Like I said before. I'm sure I'll find something I really like and stick with it.

The 3 previous boards this year were all some form of hybrid rocker. So going to a camber dominant is really what I need to try.

I do really like the TRICe more than the TRS and Impossible.