HELP: Changing Burton Boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP: Changing Burton Boards

Hey ladies/bros. I'm here for a little help since I need a new board after 7 seasons and it feels like I'm breaking up with my long term GF or something - I don't have any perspective on what has changed and is out there today.

Basically, I have been riding a 159 Burton T6 on a variety of terrains (except park). I like cruisers, trees, pow, groomers, back country - and operate like an all mountain rider, sans park. The old T6 is camber stiff and light, great at speed, and tough in packed/ice when necessary. Ive taken it in plenty of trees over the years, and it never felt fully right for that.

Now, after learning more about how I want to ride, I would like something a little less stiff and slightly more flexible/forgiving (possibly shorter?), without losing the all of confidence that the T6 has given me at speed and on edge (with zero vibration). I'm basically looking for something between the Mystery or T6 and the Custom or Process Flying V (yes, I realize that these are only Burton boards and there are other options too - this is just the brand I know).

So the Antler Flying V has peaked my interest and I'm comparing it to the Custom and the Mystery (insane $) lines. I have heard that the Antler can get splashy at high speeds which worries me. I am an intermediate to advanced rider so I don't know how much that will affect me in that I may not push a board as much as others do. My stats are 5'8", 160, 9shoe - I don't ride goofy or switch much. I ride everything I can in the midwest and northwest territories (t-ride, whistler, boat, taos, park city, vail, etc).

If anyone has advice on the Antler, Mystery, Custom (or suitable alternatives) based on the context here, it will be greatly appreciated and the keepers of valhalla will prepare a special place in the great hall for your coming.

Many thanks.
cashnugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't see why you are loyal to a brand that is shit to its customers. Quiet honestly I would go with a better brand if I were you. However I am not you therefor I will help you. If you want a good board at high speeds do not go with a shit rocker. Rocker is going to buck your ass all over the place. Rocker only is for park and insane pow. I would go with an Easy Livin 152. It has Jimi on it so you can't go wrong graphically.
Bamfboardman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

I bought a used Antler off Ebay last year. I love it for the right conditions but I do not think it is a one board solution unless you get great snow all the time. The board is playful and forgiving but it lacks camber's edge hold when it gets firm and icy and at really high speeds. I got to take a few laps on this years custom camber that a friend of mine has and I think it maybe what you are looking for-a bit more mellow than the X or T6 while still retaining the good properties of a traditional camber board.
kojack19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default RE: HELP: Changing Burton Boards

Thank you kojack19

Fathers shall tell sons of your wisdom and kindness

Appreciate the help
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks dude
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...om-antler.html

Recent discussion on custom vs antler above.

Will you keep the T6? A nice pairing is a Flying V board and a cambered stiff board in my opinion.

If so then You could go antler to hit the other side of the spectrum and have a nice 2 board quiver.

If you don't get much ice then a one board quiver with Flying V could work quite well.

It it's fairly icy where you ride then a cambered custom would still give you edge hold but would be more maneuverable, esp if you went a little shorter.

If it's not icy and you get lots of fresh snow then maybe a Sherlock, which is also good for playing in the trees etc, but not great on ice (I have one).

Also consider a used vapor, really a nice board that rides a little easier than your T6 as it's a little softer, but is very fast and has very good edge hold. No longer in production, replaced by cambered mystery as of this year. (I have owned two of these)

The Flying V mystery is stiffer than the antler, very light, very quick edge to edge and is a decent board if it's icy but not as good as a cambered board like the vapor or a custom X. In soft snow it's really nice to ride, very fast, turns quick, really fun. I think it would be good in trees for turning but it's not durable and expensive so dinging it up isn't appealing. I have a mystery and really like it unless it's icy or very hard packed snow, then I prefer camber.

I'm skipping any discussion of pow boards like trick pony, fish etc, and also skipping the rocker boards as you don't seem to want to go full rocker/flat top type profiles.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfboardman View Post
I don't see why you are loyal to a brand that is shit to its customers. Quiet honestly I would go with a better brand if I were you.

OP, have you looked at the Burton Landlord? You mentioned doing a fair bit of trees, off-piste and backcountry, and I think this board is better suited to that than the Custom Camber.

It's only available in 159 and 163. What's your weight?

For what it's worth, I had a 2010 T6, a 2011 T7 and a 2012 Custom Camber. I ride similar types of terrain to you (minus the backcountry) but also chutes, cliffs, etc.

I prefer a mild camber profile with medium-hard stiffness, but the early rocker nose really makes a big difference.

Are you close to a hill that Burton does demo days at?!? I'd try the Landlord if it was available. Should be a real great all around board...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfboardman View Post
I don't see why you are loyal to a brand that is shit to its customers. Quiet honestly I would go with a better brand if I were you.

how can you say that, has burton shit on you?
i sent a broken board after the warranty expired and recieved a new board no questions asked, thats pretty good in my book
lj79615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post

OP, have you looked at the Burton Landlord? You mentioned doing a fair bit of trees, off-piste and backcountry, and I think this board is better suited to that than the Custom Camber.

It's only available in 159 and 163. What's your weight?

For what it's worth, I had a 2010 T6, a 2011 T7 and a 2012 Custom Camber. I ride similar types of terrain to you (minus the backcountry) but also chutes, cliffs, etc.

I prefer a mild camber profile with medium-hard stiffness, but the early rocker nose really makes a big difference.

Are you close to a hill that Burton does demo days at?!? I'd try the Landlord if it was available. Should be a real great all around board...
Yah. Demo days are your friend.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

to follow up on my earlier post, if you can swing two boards go for it. I totally agree with Lamps in that if you can own a camber custom and then one of the flying V boards, you would be really happy. Given the time of year it is now and especially once February hits, you could likely find some great deals on ebay where you could maybe pick up both slightly used for the retail cost of a 2014 board a few months ago. I bought my Antler literally at 50% off and could not even tell it had been used.

Demo days are def your friend too.
kojack19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antler, burton, custom, flying v, mystery