new board for a newbie woman - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new board for a newbie woman

I am hooked. Want to buy a board, binding and boots and helmet. I plan on green circle riding this year progressing to more challenging trails. I don't see myself doing any freestyle or tricks. I am 5'2" and was comfy taking lessons on a 140. I have small feet, size 6 and felt fine in two pairs of rented Burtons. Any suggestions? Will board in New England only.
caribchakita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations! My wife and I started at the same time and we both got hooked together.

Definitely recommend and all-mountain, middle of the road board... meaning not too freestyle and not too freeride. You never know until later on what you might be interested in. You say no freestyle now, but that was me 3 yrs ago and now I spend most of the time doing that on the mountain now.

Some recommendations...

We recommended the NeverSummer Infinity my wife's friend and she loves it. Another good choice is the GNU Ladies Choice. Both have a little rocker underfoot which will help you on those good powder days, especially in Vermont. If you plan on going on the hardpack/icy days a lot and can't make it to the mountain on powder days, the GNU Ladies Choice has a bit of magnetraction which is a little better on ice, but some find it a little too grippy on powder.

Good Luck!
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
I am hooked. Want to buy a board, binding and boots and helmet. I plan on green circle riding this year progressing to more challenging trails. I don't see myself doing any freestyle or tricks. I am 5'2" and was comfy taking lessons on a 140. I have small feet, size 6 and felt fine in two pairs of rented Burtons. Any suggestions? Will board in New England only.
Here are a couple of links that should help you in deciding what you want to get,..

First is our very own Wiredsport "Fit Tip" page! LOTs of helpful info from boots to boards etc:
FIT TIPS

These two links are a lot of reading, but they are the best "One Stop" source for snowboard camber/profile/riding/style info I have found!
Rocker/Camber/Etc.

snowboard community forums - Ippy's Snowboard Buying Guide - Page 1

There's a shiton of reading for ya! Don't let it overwhelm you. Those links have just about EVERYTHING you could think to ask. I still find it helpful to refer to them from time to time!

I hope that will help you to narrow your options and choices down!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am liking the specs on the Feather by Burton. Am 5'2" 120-125 and have a size 6 foot. I think the 144 would work BUT do I need a board 24 cm in width? I saw a sizing chart somewhere and am confused. I am not sold on this board but want a nice easy beginner board for two seasons. There are some great deals on new 2013 Feathers. I don't want to invest too much until I really start to fly with this sport. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks Chomps, those links are great..gotta chew through them but also find some time to work
Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Since you're in NE check out the Burton Outlet at the Wrentham Outlets. With a AAA card you can get a coupon for an extra 20% off when you purchase a board, boots, and bindings together. There gear is all new from previous season and starts at 30% off.

With the deal you can usually get all good stuff for less than the original cost of the board.

I have used it, a friend of mine, and my wife too! Its the least expensive way I've found to get into the sport with good, comfortable equipment besides finding stuff used.

Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy!
Elit3PwnZ0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Elit, was up there two weeks back shopping with a friend. It's good to know about their additional discount because when I compared prices, there was not too much of a savings. They seem to have high base prices to mark down to their 30% off rate. When there is an additional savings, phew, good deals to be had. What are your thoughts on the width issue?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have small feet myself (7.5 mens). I have ridden boards up to 24.8CM without an issue. 24CM sounds about right, but a little above or below shouldn't be an issue. The best thing to do would be to get to a store and check out some different setups. There should be a little bit of overhang on your heel and toe side so you can get good leverage on the edges.
Elit3PwnZ0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribchakita View Post
I am liking the specs on the Feather by Burton. Am 5'2" 120-125 and have a size 6 foot. I think the 144 would work BUT do I need a board 24 cm in width? I saw a sizing chart somewhere and am confused.

I am not sold on this board but want a nice easy beginner board for two seasons. There are some great deals on new 2013 Feathers. I don't want to invest too much until I really start to fly with this sport. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks Chomps, those links are great..gotta chew through them but also find some time to work
1st issue - You might try a search on the forum for Wiredsport and board width. I know they have several posts here detailing a method for measuring your feet and calculating the optimum board width/waist range. Im at work so I cant look it up, but they very willing to provide help and are very quick to respond to any direct email request for info as well.

2nd item - ...the idea of an "easy" beginners board is really a bit of a myth! Your desire not to spend a fourtune in the begining is a good idea, and even tho you have clearly stated your "plan" for your riding progression. I think you will be suprised at how quickly that modest, reasonable goal might change.

For example, planning to "ride the greens for a while." If you are anything like most of us, as soon as you are even moderately adept at linking turns with any level of confidance? You will likely start putting that skill to the test on harder, steeper, more challenging runs. I mean, that's why were all here and taking the risks in doing this in the first place, right? It's how we all want to progress to one extent or another.

The myth of an "easy" board is usually perpetuated by proponents of Rocker boards. The logic being they are less prone to edge catches. While this is true to a degree, ALL boards can catch n dump you hard. Rocker, Hybrid or Camber.

I am telling you this only because you mentioned you weren't necessarily sold on the Burton board, and learning to ride and progress into a slightly more advanced board can actually have it's advantages too!

I bought and learned to ride a very stiff, full camber, directional twin, setback stance board that was actually too wide. (Size 10.5 boots. Didn't need a wide board!) I should have sucked "A" at ever getting good on it. In fact, my two worst, most painful injuries occurred on the "easy" beginner rentals my 1st two times out. I did learn to ride that board tho, relatively easily and when I eventually switched to a reg. width twin, hybrid camber deck? Man O man!! Was it sweet. It seemed easy and almost effortless in many ways.

The "Tl;DR" short version of my point is,... Consider cost? Yes! But Also take into account the advantages and cost savings of starting with something you can progress into and won't outgrow in a season!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Holy Smoke, thanks Chomps..this is complicated..I think I need a snowboard break...I thought the variables with windsurfing (fin, board, sail) were complicated to understand...yikes..can I just give my cc to someone and they get me a snowboard kit? Thanks all..
Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

just get a gnu/ roxy board with mtx on it like roxy ollie or alley model or gnu b-nice or gnu street.

This will give you edge on ice.

You should be able to buy the board for b/t 2-300$. last year models are pretty much the same.

after you progreesed you could buy a bigger more techinical board and use the small for when not much is going on.

burton frostebite is a joke. don't bother with that.
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote