Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Excessive screwing/unscrewing of bindings? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/121817-excessive-screwing-unscrewing-bindings.html)

ThisIsSnow 01-22-2014 12:59 PM

Excessive screwing/unscrewing of bindings?

So I currently have one set of bindings but two boards. I'm currently switching my bindings onto whichever board I use - one is an old, beat up rock board i use to practice jibs, the other is a proper all-mountain, and so far i've been alternating between park and freeride and thus I'm screwing/unscrewing the bindings after almost every day on the slopes to switch boards. I've heard that doing this too much will cause the screw threads to slip/kill the screwholes faster. Is that true?
Thanks!

ksup3erb 01-22-2014 01:13 PM

There's probably some truth to this. Wear and tear happens. By doing this every day you're just accelerating the process.

CassMT 01-22-2014 02:09 PM

maybe there's a bit more wear but w/e, you gotta do it

i'd be more concerned about the screwhead getting trashed than the threads, just don't crank like a madman and this is a non-issue

Lamps 01-23-2014 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassMT (Post 1460345)
maybe there's a bit more wear but w/e, you gotta do it

i'd be more concerned about the screwhead getting trashed than the threads, just don't crank like a madman and this is a non-issue

And by all means get the right sized screwdriver...

ridinbend 01-23-2014 05:59 AM

Or a second set of bindings

ThisIsSnow 01-23-2014 08:47 AM

i have the right screwdriver and don't crank it crazily tight - but i'm more worried about the screwholes (which would ruin the board) than the screws (which cost $.30 on Tognar).

I think I recall some other thread where some people claimed to loosen their bindings daily to let their board dry though...

poutanen 01-23-2014 10:32 AM

I try to avoid R&Ring bindings as much as possible. As long as you gently thread the screws before tightening you should be fine, but again I try to avoid it. Chalk up another plus to the Burton channel. You ever strip the inserts, just pop a new pair in! Wish all boards would start coming with the channel...

neni 01-23-2014 10:49 AM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsSnow (Post 1462753)
I think I recall some other thread where some people claimed to loosen their bindings daily to let their board dry though...

You'll also find plenty of ppl who wash n wax their cars every Saturday or ppl. who wear magnetic collars.
Many levels of meaningfulness in human actions.

I've changed bindings a hundred times, never cared if there's water in an insert or not (besides of wax n edge, I don't make a fuss in terms of board maintanance or storage in general - they have done their jobs as being snowboards nontheless :dunno:). Never had an issue expect trashed screwhead, which - as you mentioned - are easyly replaced.

CassMT 01-23-2014 11:42 AM

also, never take the bladders out of your boots to dry them, all that wear'n'tear will ruin them fast

Lamps 01-23-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 1463049)
I try to avoid R&Ring bindings as much as possible. As long as you gently thread the screws before tightening you should be fine, but again I try to avoid it. Chalk up another plus to the Burton channel. You ever strip the inserts, just pop a new pair in! Wish all boards would start coming with the channel...

Cue the burton haters....