Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   new board advice (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/121825-new-board-advice.html)

pojama_people 01-22-2014 02:20 PM

new board advice

alright so i realize there's tons of info out there already but i'm looking at purchasing some new gear and i'm torn so...figured it couldn't hurt to hear from the people

anyway, about 3 years back i was riding an 08 custom and even though i was probably only average skill level, i do remember feeling like i could really rip on it. like i could go pretty fast and it felt stable. but it also felt kind of stiff to me so i bought a skate banana with the intention of trying to learn to spin and get better at park. but that never really happened since i mostly stuck with my friends and they weren't doing park. i felt really uncomfortable at higher speeds on the banana so i got rid of it and got the board i am currently riding, a 2012 lib tech TRS

overall i like the trs but i will admit i still don't feel super comfortable at higher speeds, maybe because its softer or maybe because of the rocker or a combination of the two? or maybe just because i suck? ha i don't know

so part of me is thinking maybe i want to go back to something more camber dominant (maybe not 100% camber but more camber than what i have now)...on the other hand, i am starting to actually spend some significant time in the park now. i avoid rails and don't know that i'll ever want to do them but i will hit 20-30 foot kickers and the next thing on my list is to learn to ride switch (well) and spin (for real this time). so i'm kind of worried that going back to regular camber is going to be hard now that i've ridden 2 rocker boards for the past 3 years or so...

my favorite thing to ride will always be powder runs in the trees, that is where i have the most fun so i definitely want a board that can do that. but when there's no powder and i'm riding groomers or doing a park day, it'd be nice to have something that can do that well. at this point i guess i'm looking for the same thing everyone is looking for, a board that is good everywhere (duh) and from the reviews i've read, i think i've sort of narrowed it down to these but i'm open to suggestions (hence this post)

burton flying v custom
never summer proto hd
capita defenders of awesome
k2 turbodream

from what i've read, all of these are pretty good but if any of you have ridden these boards specifically and have some suggestions based on what i like to ride, it would be much appreciated!

also i'm 6'0" and 175 so size recommendations would be awesome too. thanks!

Riley212 01-22-2014 03:23 PM

Probably a 157-159 size.

Your TRS is gonna feel pretty similar to the Proto and the Custom FV. The flex and camber profiles are very similar, the proto might be more stable at speed but i havent ridden the new one.

The DOA is very stable but not very damp, you dont get bucked by the big bumps but you feel every little one, it helps to have cushy bindings and boots. Lots of pop, kinda heavy. true twin, best for spins and riding switch. I tried this board for freestyle and bought a salomon villain instead.

The Turbo dream is really fun and smooth on jumps and in pow but there isn't a lot of pop. flatbase-ing at speed on groomers can be sketchy because the tips just kinda float around. This isnt really a problem for me because it is damp and stable on edge and I'm usually carving down groomers, not going straight. I own this board

Based on my experience with the villain; I would point you to the Salomon Assassin. it is a funky flat topped camber with raised tips, has full sized tips for powder, is a medium flex, is true twin, lots of pop. I wish i tried this board before i bought my villain.

I have the Turbo dream for days with fresh snow and a salomon villain (slightly softer assassin) for days without.

Nivek 01-22-2014 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You'd probably do well on the Turbo. But then I still think there are better options. Look at the Rossi Angus, Yes Basic, Burton Process Camber, Nitro Rook, or a Flow Blackout.

If you were in my shop I'd probably have grabbed the YES Basic first.

pojama_people 01-23-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley212 (Post 1460401)
Probably a 157-159 size.

Your TRS is gonna feel pretty similar to the Proto and the Custom FV. The flex and camber profiles are very similar, the proto might be more stable at speed but i havent ridden the new one.

The DOA is very stable but not very damp, you dont get bucked by the big bumps but you feel every little one, it helps to have cushy bindings and boots. Lots of pop, kinda heavy. true twin, best for spins and riding switch. I tried this board for freestyle and bought a salomon villain instead.

The Turbo dream is really fun and smooth on jumps and in pow but there isn't a lot of pop. flatbase-ing at speed on groomers can be sketchy because the tips just kinda float around. This isnt really a problem for me because it is damp and stable on edge and I'm usually carving down groomers, not going straight. I own this board

Based on my experience with the villain; I would point you to the Salomon Assassin. it is a funky flat topped camber with raised tips, has full sized tips for powder, is a medium flex, is true twin, lots of pop. I wish i tried this board before i bought my villain.

I have the Turbo dream for days with fresh snow and a salomon villain (slightly softer assassin) for days without.

cool, thanks man. i'm definitely seeing some good things about the assassin. although the good ride reviewed it and said it wants to "auto-butter" at higher speeds and they didn't like it...whatever that means. maybe i'll see if i can demo it

pojama_people 01-23-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 1460473)
You'd probably do well on the Turbo. But then I still think there are better options. Look at the Rossi Angus, Yes Basic, Burton Process Camber, Nitro Rook, or a Flow Blackout.

If you were in my shop I'd probably have grabbed the YES Basic first.

basic does look good, wish i could find somewhere to demo it. i'm kind of hesitant to drop $400 or more on a board without a demo ride first

pojama_people 01-23-2014 01:07 PM

bindings

while we're at it (and since i've already described what kind of stuff i like to ride), you guys got any advice on bindings or boots? i have wide feet so i need a boot that won't cramp my toes

Nivek 01-23-2014 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pojama_people (Post 1463329)
although the good ride reviewed it and said it wants to "auto-butter" at higher speeds and they didn't like it...whatever that means.

I read that as, "we rode the Assassin, blah blah, we can't snowboard". The Assassin is a slightly stiffer Villain. A bunch of the team riders were riding the Villain everywhere so Salomon, as they were discontinuing the Grip, built them the Assassin. Its a super sick deck. Soft tips and just stiff enough between the feet to be stable but remain super playful.

Definitely not a bad option. I still lean towards the Basic just cause I think you're more a person that will benefit from a board the rides better forwards in deeper snow and forwards at higher speeds than from a deck that rides identical forwards and backwards: directional twin vs true twin.

blackbeard 01-23-2014 01:42 PM

Boots are very personal. My recommendation is to try on as many as possible. There are general rules of thumb that will help you determine what brand might fit better for your foot (Salomon wide and 32 boots tend to run wider), but I found that not to be the case for all boots for a brand.

For example, I settled on a pair of Ride Hi-Phys, even though my foot is a bit wide in the front and Rides have a reputation for being narrow.

I don't have much binding advice since I've only owned 1 pair: K2 Company. It is very well made and really supportive when going through choppy stuff. Very happy with it.

Riley212 01-23-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pojama_people (Post 1463369)
while we're at it (and since i've already described what kind of stuff i like to ride), you guys got any advice on bindings or boots? i have wide feet so i need a boot that won't cramp my toes

the only newer bindings ive owned are Union SL, Burton Cartel, Salomon Hologram, and K2 IPO. The Union and burtons are stiff ad responsive, very reliable, the holograms are the softest and more comfy than the cartel and SL. The K2 are somewhere between the holograms and the cartels but they are the most comfortable bindings I've ever used, they have a stiff responsive base but a pretty soft highback and heel strap.

Boots are hard to suggest other than brands, I have wide forefoot and narrow heels, Ride and K2 boots have fit me best, currently rocking a few sason old Ride RFL, solid boot. I have heard that burton and 32 make boots that fit wide feet well generally. You really need to go to a store and try on all the medium stiff boots they have.

pojama_people 01-23-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley212 (Post 1463521)
the only newer bindings ive owned are Union SL, Burton Cartel, Salomon Hologram, and K2 IPO. The Union and burtons are stiff ad responsive, very reliable, the holograms are the softest and more comfy than the cartel and SL. The K2 are somewhere between the holograms and the cartels but they are the most comfortable bindings I've ever used, they have a stiff responsive base but a pretty soft highback and heel strap.

Boots are hard to suggest other than brands, I have wide forefoot and narrow heels, Ride and K2 boots have fit me best, currently rocking a few sason old Ride RFL, solid boot. I have heard that burton and 32 make boots that fit wide feet well generally. You really need to go to a store and try on all the medium stiff boots they have.

i was sort of leaning towards the cartels, think they'd be too stiff for me? also the burton genesis have gotten really good reviews, anyone rocking those?