New to Snowboarding and need help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
squeezinef

Default New to Snowboarding and need help

I have been a skier in the past and just recently decided to give snowboarding a try. I've been once using rental equipment. Sport Chalet gave me a Ride 151 board and size 9 boots. The boots were too tight on the mountain so I rented size 10 which made my day much much more bearable. I actually enjoyed boarding more than skiing. Obviously I am a beginner, but want to get better. I'm not really interested in just going down the mountain and maybe hitting the smaller jumps they have set up on the way down. My problem is that I'm going cross-eyed researching what size board I should get. I have read so many articles and advice threads that contradict each other.

I have Solamon boots (size 10) and Flow bindings. I'm not looking to spend lots of money for my first board. In fact, I am wanting to spend the least amount possible. I will probably get a new board in a few seasons when my skill level improves. With that said, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am short and on the heavier side. Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

Height - 5"4"
Weight - 230lbs
Skill - Beginner
Boot size - 10

I'm not sure if I've left any information out that is needed to pick a board. If any additional information is needed, please let me know.

Chris

Last edited by squeezinef; 01-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Damn 230 haha jk anyways def going to go with a freeride board and beacuse u say low budget just hit up ebay i guess and because ur 5'4" look for 150 maybe lower hope that helps dude and best of luck.
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
squeezinef

yeah, I don't look like 230, but that's what it says. LOL! The 151 felt fine, but reading online, lots of articles say to compensate for weight. I was thinking of maybe 154. The budget isn't a problem, I just didn't want to spend a lot on a learning board when I know I will want to upgrade in a few seasons. Thanks for your input though. I've been going back and forth so everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

yeah no problem just tryin to help a future fellow boarder out lol. yeah but i bought my learning board on ebay for 50 bucks it was shit but it got me goin gave it to my cuz last year and it's still holdin up i was surprised lol. yeah but I guess the 154 would work exactly what bout u looking at now?
sgauto08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

weight is a bigger factor than height and at your weight I would opt for a larger board than 154 but I'm sure you could still use a 154. I'm 170 and ride a 156 for my freeride board. Boards all have a weight range to them. If you fall into this weight range for that size then the board will act like it is advertised and be as stiff or soft as they say. If you are under that given weight range for that board size it will feel stiffer and vise versa if you are over their recommended weight range for that size. Go to different companies websites that you are looking into and check out what they recommend for a weight range on the board you are looking at. For example, the snowboard I have is a K2 Zero. The 153 is for less than 160 lbs, the 156 is 130-210, the 159 is 130-210 and the 162 is 150+ http://www.k2snowboarding.com/files/...oard_specs.pdf there is a link to the page that has k2's board specs. Second page has all the weight recommendations. Most companies will have you on a 160 or bigger I would assume.
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

yeeap weight counts. Height not so much.... That's why companies put out weight charts rather than height charts. For 230 lbs I'd say 160+, or maybe 158-9 if you're in the park all the time (but you're a beginner, so I'd think not).
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgauto08 View Post
Damn 230 haha jk anyways def going to go with a freeride board and beacuse u say low budget just hit up ebay i guess and because ur 5'4" look for 150 maybe lower hope that helps dude and best of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezinef View Post
yeah, I don't look like 230, but that's what it says. LOL! The 151 felt fine, but reading online, lots of articles say to compensate for weight. I was thinking of maybe 154. The budget isn't a problem, I just didn't want to spend a lot on a learning board when I know I will want to upgrade in a few seasons. Thanks for your input though. I've been going back and forth so everyone's advice is greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgauto08 View Post
yeah no problem just tryin to help a future fellow boarder out lol. yeah but i bought my learning board on ebay for 50 bucks it was shit but it got me goin gave it to my cuz last year and it's still holdin up i was surprised lol. yeah but I guess the 154 would work exactly what bout u looking at now?

yeah i think any 154 board whether freeride or all mountain will act like a noodle with your weight. no offense but the boards are weigh ranged now that old trick of a board up to your chin level shit isnt that big of a factor anymore. so unless you want something really squirelly that has the potential to snap under your feet off a mogul i would stay away from such a short board. exmaple my bf is 5'8 180 and rides a rome atrifact i think its a 158 or 160 that he still says is pretty noodly for him. maybe its rider preference but def 154 for your weight i think you will be dissapointed.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

09 Omatic Boron 160 - $209.30

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
squeezinef

Yeah, I heard that I should use a 160 but that seems really long. Maybe I'll put off buying a deck until next season? LOL. Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gustov

if you want a shorter board you could get one that's on the stiffer side that you're at the very top of the weight range for.