Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Looking for new board (possibly ride) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/122097-looking-new-board-possibly-ride.html)

Duzzyman 01-23-2014 01:45 PM

Looking for new board (possibly ride)

Hey guys and gals long time lurker first time poster. Just getting back into snowboarding after a three year hiatus. Long story short I'm 5'11" still riding on my first morrow ( it's a 146 and falls like mid chest). Looking for a new board here but I've been out for too long to know what's good. Looking at rides right now and haven't heard anything negative from anyone on one. Looking at either the highlife UL or manic. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Thanks in advance.

Also if it helps I do mostly groomed trail riding. About 20% park which is mostly boxes for me.

Edit: also I'm 205lbs 22 yom who's actually dropped 20 extra lbs.

Riley212 01-23-2014 01:56 PM

Not the highlife, it is a stiff freeride board, not much fun in the park. The manic would be much better for that. Best would probably be the Machete or Antic/Wildlife.

GreyDragon 01-23-2014 02:10 PM

205 lbs and riding a 146?
Wow!
You must be able to throw that thing around easily.
I'd suggest a longer board.

Any reason you're focused on Ride snowboards?

Duzzyman 01-23-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyDragon (Post 1463865)
205 lbs and riding a 146?
Wow!
You must be able to throw that thing around easily.
I'd suggest a longer board.

Any reason you're focused on Ride snowboards?

Ha that's why I'm in the market. Honestly nothing in particular. One friend riding on one says he likes it. Their slime wall sidewall thing really interested me but that's about it. I'm open to just about any suggestions

Duzzyman 01-23-2014 02:47 PM

Also current morrow was flat. It's the only thing I've ever known. What do I need to be looking for?

poutanen 01-23-2014 03:11 PM

Yeah I wouldn't limit yourself to one brand, there's just WAY too much good stuff on the market right now. For your height and weight, even as an intermediate boarder you should be on something in the ~160 area!

Can you get out to a demo day where you are? Burton has the largest demo schedule, but even if you're not looking at them you could at least try some of the different camber profiles available now, as well as try something better suited to your height/weight.

Duzzyman 01-23-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 1464113)
Yeah I wouldn't limit yourself to one brand, there's just WAY too much good stuff on the market right now. For your height and weight, even as an intermediate boarder you should be on something in the ~160 area!

Can you get out to a demo day where you are? Burton has the largest demo schedule, but even if you're not looking at them you could at least try some of the different camber profiles available now, as well as try something better suited to your height/weight.

Nothing like that around here in south central michigan. I was thinking 156-158 range.

poutanen 01-23-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duzzyman (Post 1464169)
Nothing like that around here in south central michigan. I was thinking 156-158 range.

Not sure how far of a drive it is for you to Blue Mountain, ON (maybe 5-6 hours?!?) but they have demo days there. Boyne Highlands in northern Michigan had a demo day in Dec.

Make sure you look at the weight ranges of the boards you're looking at buying, and try to get yourself in the middle of their weight range instead of at either end.

At 205 lb you'll be at the top end of several boards in the 156 length.

For example, the Burton Custom 156 is designed for a rider in the 135-175 lb range (so ideally 155 lb or so). They suggest you should be on a 163 at your weight!

I'm 175-180 lb or so and prefer a 159-163 board length myself. This is why I say you gotta demo. How comfortable were you/how much did you ride the 146?

Duzzyman 01-23-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 1464265)
Not sure how far of a drive it is for you to Blue Mountain, ON (maybe 5-6 hours?!?) but they have demo days there. Boyne Highlands in northern Michigan had a demo day in Dec.

Make sure you look at the weight ranges of the boards you're looking at buying, and try to get yourself in the middle of their weight range instead of at either end.

At 205 lb you'll be at the top end of several boards in the 156 length.

For example, the Burton Custom 156 is designed for a rider in the 135-175 lb range (so ideally 155 lb or so). They suggest you should be on a 163 at your weight!

I'm 175-180 lb or so and prefer a 159-163 board length myself. This is why I say you gotta demo. How comfortable were you/how much did you ride the 146?

Honestly completely at home on it. I'm only buying a new one because I've had this one for hell 8 years and know it's too short by industry standard but I have no problem riding it. Actually spent two days at Boyne highlands in dec on it and a couple here on mt Brighton.

poutanen 01-23-2014 05:04 PM

I was on a 153 for years and LOVED IT. Then I bought a 159 and a whole new world was opened up to me! Can you borrow a friends, or buy something used that's around 160 cm? If you're at least a decent intermediate boarder you're probably being held back pretty bad by your board length.

156 feels short to me now! :blink: