Looking for new board (possibly ride) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for new board (possibly ride)

Hey guys and gals long time lurker first time poster. Just getting back into snowboarding after a three year hiatus. Long story short I'm 5'11" still riding on my first morrow ( it's a 146 and falls like mid chest). Looking for a new board here but I've been out for too long to know what's good. Looking at rides right now and haven't heard anything negative from anyone on one. Looking at either the highlife UL or manic. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Thanks in advance.

Also if it helps I do mostly groomed trail riding. About 20% park which is mostly boxes for me.

Edit: also I'm 205lbs 22 yom who's actually dropped 20 extra lbs.

Last edited by Duzzyman; 01-23-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Duzzyman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
 
Riley212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Seattle
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not the highlife, it is a stiff freeride board, not much fun in the park. The manic would be much better for that. Best would probably be the Machete or Antic/Wildlife.

Dude, suckin at somethin' is just the first step to bein' sorta good at somethin'
Riley212 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Fire on Ice...and Powder!
 
GreyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: We the North
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
205 lbs and riding a 146?
Wow!
You must be able to throw that thing around easily.
I'd suggest a longer board.

Any reason you're focused on Ride snowboards?
GreyDragon is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
205 lbs and riding a 146?
Wow!
You must be able to throw that thing around easily.
I'd suggest a longer board.

Any reason you're focused on Ride snowboards?
Ha that's why I'm in the market. Honestly nothing in particular. One friend riding on one says he likes it. Their slime wall sidewall thing really interested me but that's about it. I'm open to just about any suggestions
Duzzyman is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also current morrow was flat. It's the only thing I've ever known. What do I need to be looking for?
Duzzyman is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Yeah I wouldn't limit yourself to one brand, there's just WAY too much good stuff on the market right now. For your height and weight, even as an intermediate boarder you should be on something in the ~160 area!

Can you get out to a demo day where you are? Burton has the largest demo schedule, but even if you're not looking at them you could at least try some of the different camber profiles available now, as well as try something better suited to your height/weight.
poutanen is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yeah I wouldn't limit yourself to one brand, there's just WAY too much good stuff on the market right now. For your height and weight, even as an intermediate boarder you should be on something in the ~160 area!

Can you get out to a demo day where you are? Burton has the largest demo schedule, but even if you're not looking at them you could at least try some of the different camber profiles available now, as well as try something better suited to your height/weight.
Nothing like that around here in south central michigan. I was thinking 156-158 range.
Duzzyman is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzzyman View Post
Nothing like that around here in south central michigan. I was thinking 156-158 range.
Not sure how far of a drive it is for you to Blue Mountain, ON (maybe 5-6 hours?!?) but they have demo days there. Boyne Highlands in northern Michigan had a demo day in Dec.

Make sure you look at the weight ranges of the boards you're looking at buying, and try to get yourself in the middle of their weight range instead of at either end.

At 205 lb you'll be at the top end of several boards in the 156 length.

For example, the Burton Custom 156 is designed for a rider in the 135-175 lb range (so ideally 155 lb or so). They suggest you should be on a 163 at your weight!

I'm 175-180 lb or so and prefer a 159-163 board length myself. This is why I say you gotta demo. How comfortable were you/how much did you ride the 146?
poutanen is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Not sure how far of a drive it is for you to Blue Mountain, ON (maybe 5-6 hours?!?) but they have demo days there. Boyne Highlands in northern Michigan had a demo day in Dec.

Make sure you look at the weight ranges of the boards you're looking at buying, and try to get yourself in the middle of their weight range instead of at either end.

At 205 lb you'll be at the top end of several boards in the 156 length.

For example, the Burton Custom 156 is designed for a rider in the 135-175 lb range (so ideally 155 lb or so). They suggest you should be on a 163 at your weight!

I'm 175-180 lb or so and prefer a 159-163 board length myself. This is why I say you gotta demo. How comfortable were you/how much did you ride the 146?
Honestly completely at home on it. I'm only buying a new one because I've had this one for hell 8 years and know it's too short by industry standard but I have no problem riding it. Actually spent two days at Boyne highlands in dec on it and a couple here on mt Brighton.
Duzzyman is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I was on a 153 for years and LOVED IT. Then I bought a 159 and a whole new world was opened up to me! Can you borrow a friends, or buy something used that's around 160 cm? If you're at least a decent intermediate boarder you're probably being held back pretty bad by your board length.

156 feels short to me now!
poutanen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome