Looking for advice on a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for advice on a new board

Hopefully this reaches the right people .

I am 19 years old living in the northeast (US) and I am looking to buy the Burton Blunt 2013 model. I am 6'2" 200lbs (188cm and 90kg). I wear a size 12 boot and i have pretty large feet.

I have only been snowboarding about 7 times and so far I have either rented or borrowed equipment from friends. I feel that it is time to buy my own board and start making riding a more frequent thing. I feel very comfortable on a board and I think part of this is because I have been longboarding forever. I have done double blacks as well as terrain parks and I am willing to try anything. I know my limits though so I am just looking for a decent board that allows me to cruise, carve huge slopes, and hit the terrain park every now and then.

Alright this is where I need advice.

Is the Burton Blunt a good board for a beginner that feels more like a pseudo-advanced rider? (not trying to toot my own horn )

I believe my ideal board size would be 157-160. I do like more control so I am thinking the 158 would be the best fit. yes?

Do I need a wide board if my bare foot measures to 28.5 cm?

I know nothing about riding angles. Last time I rented I experienced some discomfort because one foot was at a different angle I believe. Any suggestions on riding angles, or is it a personal preference?

The board shape? I read that the V-rocker on the Blunt is a good shape for beginners because it is very forgiving. I have used a flat and cambered before and I enjoyed riding both.

I guess ultimately I am asking for help finding a solid board for a very adventurous beginner who will be using this board a lot.

Also any tips on bindings and boots much appreciated! I was told it might be best to start off finding boots then bindings then boards, but this Burton Blunt is a great deal at a local shop and I kinda want to jump on it.
moranchula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi moranchula,

Stoked that you are getting your SHRED on!

28.5 is the cm size that will be printed on size 10.5 snowboard boots. The notation of "Wide" has no specific standard in snowboarding but size 28.5 cm does not require (or want) a wider than average board.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm similar in size to you at 6'3",205 and I ride a 164, for whatever that's worth. I don't know much about the blunt, but with size 12 boots you will want to pay attention to width. It becomes less of an issue on longer decks since those typically get wider as they get longer, so honestly a 160-164 might be a better range for you.
SuCoSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks all above^^ I have decided to hold off until next season and see if I can make due with renting and borrowing until I can get my personal preferences down. Still just as excited though
moranchula is offline   Reply With Quote