2014 Capita NAS 159 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default 2014 Capita NAS 159

First Impression, not a full blown review.
175lbs
Now Selects
Nike Kaiju

NAS: It's your classic directional twin. Just a touch of setback. Medium flex, maybe a little stiffer than that torsionally.
This actually is a "BadAss" looking board in person as the Capita tag says.

I ride cambered boards (East coast) and usually evaluate them on 4 basic properties:

1.) Ollies: It's a crap shoot with cambered boards as to how they will pop. However Capita brought whatever new tech they have to bear on this board and it is surprisingly easy to access the pop in this deck. I normally ride a Signal OG which is a super poppy cambered board but takes a little muscle to access, the NAS is easier to crack ollies with.

2.) Jumps: This board feels wider than it is. I ride a lot of 24.9/25.0 waist width boards and this thing feels locked in running into jumps. A lot of that has to do with the long multi radius sidecut on this thing. If you like a board that tracks real straight at speed this is it. If you like making little last minute adjustments this is not it. Off the lip it has a lot of pop, and you don't have to work for it. In the air it's a real stable board, but I think that's because it feels a tad heavy. Fine for floating 3s.

3.) Pipe: This board feels real stable in the pipe with that "wide feeling" that is has for a narrow waisted board. The drawback is that this sidecut that keeps it so good at charging straight makes it a little less nimble on the wall. But it holds a great edge and has a fast base that makes climbing easy.

4.) Shredding: This board has a long effective edge like some "old school" boards and combined with whatever they are doing with the sidecut multiradius it likes to track straight. This is great for hitting big booters but the converse is that it's not that fun a board for carving turns. It is not agile for a 24.9 waist board and that's mostly the sidecut. There are a lot of other boards I would enjoy just ripping turns on.

Because of the sidecut and effective edge on this board it wouldn't be my first choice for free riding. But for charging jumps, getting air, and blasting out of the pipe it's a really a fun modern design of a classic directional twin. If Capita were to make this board with a tighter simple radial sidecut it would rule.

Last edited by tonicusa; 01-24-2014 at 11:20 PM.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

UPDATE:

I've been riding this board for a while now and it's really growing on me. I found out why it seems so "grippy or tracky" it's because it comes from the factory 0/0 side and base bevel. I'm used to the -1/-1 you find on most boards today. But once you adjust to that (or change it) the board is a lot of fun.

It would feel more carvy with the easier "roll to edge" you get from -1/-1 but I haven't bothered to change it yet. That extra grippy feel is great in the icy pipe this winter. The only thing that I'm not crazy about is the longer nose they put on this thing, it doesn't help much in fresh and who would ride this nowadays in pow? So in the pipe and park that extra long nose feels a little cumbersome but the board is light and you can get past this.

So far I haven't been able to take this board off, it's just too fun. I have been riding it with Salomon Quantums and NOW Selects. Both bindings are a good fit for this deck.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the review, I've had my eye on this board to replace my Sierra Crew, re skinned Burton Custom. Basically I want something a bit stiffer for steeper sections and bombing groomers. I have a Stairmaster that I ride when messing around with my son or doing some small to mid sized jumps and really like the build quality and how the Capita boards ride.

Your reference to this not being a great carving board was a bit concerning but sounds like you may have changed your stance on that a bit. So, do you think this would be a good fit? I was looking at the Burton Custom X but the price point on this board is much more attractive. Any other boards you might suggest?

I started snowboarding in the late 80s, took a bit of a break....about 17 years, and have been riding pretty regularly, a couple trips a year including whistler, mammoth, and Tahoe, ever since. I grew up on stiff standard camber decks so this one being somewhat of a throw back is very appealing to me.

Anyway, thanks again for the review...good to see someone really enjoying a board I've had my eye on.
bcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I too am curious if this would fit a pure groomer/carving board. I don't care how it is on rails or in the pipe.
Bertieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hi guys. Yes I did change my stance on this board as far as a good carving board. I hadn't realized that it came from the factory 0/0 dead flat with no bevel. I'm used to -1/-1 as most Burton and Rome free ride boards are etc.

I went ahead and put a -1/-1 base and side edge bevel on this thing and it rails, while still being a lot of fun and light. Often the groomer/free ride boards that are 100% camber can get a little boring or "old timerish". This thing is light, super poppy and fun while still railing an edge. I would highly recommend it for ripping groomers and charging around the resort. It's not so great in fresh pow, but most folks own a rockered board for those rare days.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
Hi guys. Yes I did change my stance on this board as far as a good carving board. I hadn't realized that it came from the factory 0/0 dead flat with no bevel. I'm used to -1/-1 as most Burton and Rome free ride boards are etc.

I went ahead and put a -1/-1 base and side edge bevel on this thing and it rails, while still being a lot of fun and light. Often the groomer/free ride boards that are 100% camber can get a little boring or "old timerish". This thing is light, super poppy and fun while still railing an edge. I would highly recommend it for ripping groomers and charging around the resort. It's not so great in fresh pow, but most folks own a rockered board for those rare days.
If a board came with 0/0 "bevel edge", wouldn't that be less ideal for good carving? I'm new to the bevel term.

Regardless, that's the info I was looking for. I would only be using the board for packed charging packed groomers. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A board that comes 0/0 from the factory bites into the hardpack really quick. It's nice once you get used to it. But a board that has a -1/-1 bevel to both base and side edge "rolls" into the carve a little smoother. So to some people -1/-1 may feel like it carves easier or you just may prefer that feel and rhythm.

The NAS is such a great board I would get it and ride it first you may love the 0/0. If not the nice thing is you don't have to stay 90 degrees with matching angles on the bevels. With a 0/0 factory board you might want to put a boardercross edge on it like .5 base and 1 degree side. Or even just .5/.5
Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
A board that comes 0/0 from the factory bites into the hardpack really quick. It's nice once you get used to it. But a board that has a -1/-1 bevel to both base and side edge "rolls" into the carve a little smoother. So to some people -1/-1 may feel like it carves easier or you just may prefer that feel and rhythm.

The NAS is such a great board I would get it and ride it first you may love the 0/0. If not the nice thing is you don't have to stay 90 degrees with matching angles on the bevels. With a 0/0 factory board you might want to put a boardercross edge on it like .5 base and 1 degree side. Or even just .5/.5
Awesome information. Thanks for the knowledge!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just picked up a NAS 159 online for 40% off. Thanks for the review/help tonicusa. No idea how it rides but I recieved it the other day and I'm loving the basic all black look.

Looking for some ideas on bindings...kind of narrowed it down to the Rome Targas or the Union Factory. Everyone seems to love the factory and I want to try canted footbeds so it's my first choice; however, I have old Rome 390's that I absolutely love and figured the Targa was just a slightly stiffer version with the canted footbeds...concerned they may be to stiff.
bcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Actually the 390s would be perfect.