Snowboard Shapes and options...??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard Shapes and options...???

After riding for 6-7 years now. I think I know what kind of board shape suits me the "BEST".

I am male...5'5" and 160lbs. Size 7 boots/feet/shoes. Fairly Stocky build for my height. I have broad shoulders and hips for my height and therefore my stance width is a little wide compared to someone taller/skinnier with smaller shoulders/hips. My stance width is right around 21.5-23.00" and use 12,-12 angles.

I am looking for a snowboard that is:

1. Moderately thin/narrow in the width/middle. I have small feet and I think narrower width snowboards suit me better for turning and response.

2. Wide tips. I like tips that are a little wider than standard for stability when doing butters and presses. I like to ride PARK and do jumps and butters mostly.

3. Moderately Soft in the flex. I ride mostly PARK and groomed trails. Probably 3-4 out of a 10 is my ideal stiffness.

4. Most importantly...because I am a little heavy/stocky and have a standard to moderately wide stance...I need a board with a "longer effective edge" or "running length" than I am used to for stability, speed and progression. I like short 148-150 boards but they seem to "buckle/shake/unstable" under my feet sometimes under heavy load/pressure/jumps/toeside/heelside turns. I think I should step up to 151-153 or a short board but with a "longer effective edge" for my style of riding and stability.

Standard camber ALL THE WAY!!! I tried rocker boards and I don't like them. They feel "dead" and not "springy". I need that "springy" feel under my feet/butt/waist.

Anyone have suggestions for a snowboard with this kind of shape/profile? Any name brands are fine except BURTON.

I was thinking of switching over to a WOMEN'S higher end park board. Do you think a women's board might be the right option since they are a little thinner in the waist...???

I want it to be pretty close to what I have outlined above. I think if I could find this snowboard for my next bread&butter board...I would be HAPPY!!!

Thanks.

Last edited by Taylor_Gang; 01-25-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Taylor_Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

sounds like you need a YES TDF..150 N
YES. SNOWBOARDS 罈 TDF

Length: 150 cm, 154 cm, 157 cm
Camber: standard
Shape: twin
Flex: soft
Effective Edge: [150cm] 1100 mm, [154cm] 1140 mm, [157cm] 1160 mm
Waist Width: [150cm] 242 mm, [154cm] 245 mm, [157cm] 248 mm
Sidecut Radius: [150cm] 7.4 m, [154cm] 7.5 m, [157cm] 7.6 m
Stance Width: [150cm] 19.7 - 24.4 in, [154cm] 20 - 24.8 in, [157cm] 20.5 - 25.2 in
Stance Setback: centered
Core: poplar with beech Impact blocks
Base: sintered 2000
Recommended Use: freestyle, park
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
sounds like you need a YES TDF..150 N
YES. SNOWBOARDS 罈 TDF

Length: 150 cm, 154 cm, 157 cm
Camber: standard
Shape: twin
Flex: soft
Effective Edge: [150cm] 1100 mm, [154cm] 1140 mm, [157cm] 1160 mm
Waist Width: [150cm] 242 mm, [154cm] 245 mm, [157cm] 248 mm
Sidecut Radius: [150cm] 7.4 m, [154cm] 7.5 m, [157cm] 7.6 m
Stance Width: [150cm] 19.7 - 24.4 in, [154cm] 20 - 24.8 in, [157cm] 20.5 - 25.2 in
Stance Setback: centered
Core: poplar with beech Impact blocks
Base: sintered 2000
Recommended Use: freestyle, park
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Haha...I knew someone was going to post this board. I actually bought and rode the 1st generation version in 150...back in 2010/11. The one with the hand signs and white background with black writing. I only rode it about 3-4 times that season.

I actually liked it. I liked the shape, weight, speed and stability.

The only problem I had with it...was I felt it was "too stiff" at slower speeds for some park stuff that I was doing. I mainly used it on soft groomed snow and I think that is the reason why it felt stiff. Because of that...It kind of felt uncontrollable and like I was putting "too much energy/effort" into my turns/tricks. I think the "best reason" for this is...I believe this board was made specifically for "bigger/advanced park riding and moderate backcountry/off piste". I was mainly doing simple/small park stuff at the time and because of that...I sold it and was still looking for something softer but with the same shape/attributes.

I think I would of liked it if it was a little bit more soft. Also...I think I should of rode it longer to break it in. If I would of rode it longer...it might of gotten softer and I would of been ok with it than.

The softness factor I like is probably more close to..."a tad stiffer...not much" than a "2008 regular camber K2 WWW...the one with the colorful playing card kings/queens/spades/clovers". Anyone remember that board...?!?!? MAN I LOVED that board!!. That was the first snowboard I bought that boosted my confidence the most and progressed my riding to what it is now. The only problem was it was a little "too soft" and "Short" in running length. I rode the 148 and at the end of the season...the pop was gone and the board felt dead/flat. I should of bought the next size bigger of which would of been the 150/51.

Sorry peeps for being so ANAL. I know...its just snowboarding! On that same note...I LOVE SNOWBOARDING and so I feel like I have to be anal with my setup/gear.

Thanks.

Last edited by Taylor_Gang; 01-25-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

salomon villain 153, just short of medium flex closer to medium than soft. mostly camber, long effective edge, deceptivly narrow because the waist sidecut is a straight line and not an arc so it is wide in the middle but at the inserts it narrower. My Size 9.5's hang off a good bit. Fatty tips for butter/pressing.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Snowboard Shapes and options...???

/\ same deck I'm riding (that and an Evo 153) .. Awesome board, super fun .. But it's a hybrid camber , not a true camber .

Taylor Gang, I'd still consider the TDF. I don't know much about it but it has probably evolved some over time since you last rode it and may be softer than before . Just speculation, but worth a shot .

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
salomon villain 153, just short of medium flex closer to medium than soft. mostly camber, long effective edge, deceptivly narrow because the waist sidecut is a straight line and not an arc so it is wide in the middle but at the inserts it narrower. My Size 9.5's hang off a good bit. Fatty tips for butter/pressing.
Haha...I looked up this board a while back when it first came out. I liked the specs on paper and its actually very HIGH on my list right now as a all around bread&butter board. I like the graphics and the tech they put in it.

The only other board option thats competing with it is the "2014 CAPITA DOA in 150/52". The only thing that scares me with the DOA is...I think it might be a little too stiff for me...just like the YES TDF was.

On that same note...I believe the villain would suit me pretty good because a lot of guys my size, weight and riding style...ride snowboards that are close to what the villain has as far as shape/flex/size goes. Also...I ride So. Cali resorts Bear and Mt High and most people around here...ride pretty soft forgiving boards with fat blunted tips and standard widths just like the villain and such. I have NEVER rode a Salomon before and I'm a little hesitant but if all else fails...It just might be the ONE! I'm also down for the hybrid camber. It might just be what I am looking for.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I picked the villain after handling the DOA because it was softer. I wrote a review in the board reviews section.

don't be afraid, salomon makes a solid board
Old 01-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
/\ same deck I'm riding (that and an Evo 153) .. Awesome board, super fun .. But it's a hybrid camber , not a true camber .

Taylor Gang, I'd still consider the TDF. I don't know much about it but it has probably evolved some over time since you last rode it and may be softer than before . Just speculation, but worth a shot .
I hear yah and its still in the back of my head. I liked everything about that board...I just wished it was a little bit softer. Also forgot to mention...When I had that board...I forgot to file down the edges. The edges were really sharp...and I think that also had to do with the board being uncontrollable in the soft snow and making the turns/jumps feel "stiff". I should of filed the edges down when I first got the board.

On that same note...I ride Bear and Mt High in Cali. The snow is always soft and I think boards like the YES TDF are a little overkill as far as the terrain I am riding for my weight, size and riding style. I actually bought the TDF board from a local Mt High Boardshop. The shop cashier/sales person kind of gave me this weird look when I told him I was going to buy the board. He had this look like..."dude...this board is probably way too stiff for the resorts around here and probably advanced for you" on his face when he was ringing me out. It was kind of weird and it threw me off and made me think twice about my purchase. I felt a little "guilty" driving home and a little like a "piece of meat". Like I just got played/jipped or something.

I really don't see guys around here my size and weight with boards like the TDF. They usually ride boards that are considerably softer and wider.

Now...If I was 5'10" and close to 175LBS and hitting the largest jumps Bear and Mt High has to offer...Than yes I would definitely give the TDF another run for its money. I just don't see it as a good fit as far as what everyone else is riding.

I don't know. I am in a BIG PICKLE here. I am gonna go into a shop and feel the new TDF and see if its a little softer than previous years. I might give it another try...who knows.

Thanks Eastside.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
I picked the villain after handling the DOA because it was softer. I wrote a review in the board reviews section.

don't be afraid, salomon makes a solid board
WOW...so the villain is softer than the DOA.

Do you think the DOA might be too much for me, my style and my resorts...??? Its probably more for "good snow conditions" (Pacific NW/Mammoth/UTAH/CO/TAHOE) and not so much soft man made So Cali stuff. I don't know...I will probably go and try to find one in a shop to feel out too.

Thanks Riley212. I will go and read your review also.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You are way overanalyzing buying a board. The fact that you think filing your edges down would make turns and jumps feel stiff is laughable and makes me think that it's rider skill, not the board's characteristics that are throwing you off.

The Villain is a really good board and Salomon makes solid products. It's not "core" enough for certain people, which I think is all bullshit anyway.
The DOA is an insanely sick board. It has won multiple awards, as has the BOF, which is the womens' version. It's a hybrid camber, but does not feel like a rockered board at all. I hate rockers, and I almost rode a 154 DOA as my main stick this year. I can go more into the DOA, so PM me if you want.

Shop kid was probably a kook. Don't let him make you feel a certain way. I worked in shops for years, and I would definitely see a trend of being "too cool" from a lot of fellow co-workers and shop employees from other stores. It's fucking lame and I'm not a fan of that at all. Especially now that I help out and work on the other side of the retailer spectrum, it's funny seeing these goofy ass kids who know jack shit about snowboarding try to talk themselves up. Bums me out when I hear about experiences like yours though.

tl:dr - any of those boards would be a great fit for you. You're overanalyzing a piece of wood that you use to slide down frozen water because some kook at a store gave you a weird look. Pick a DOA, Villain, or TDF and go have fun out on the hill.