Lib tech darker series c3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib tech darker series c3

Has anybody demoed or own the darker series? How does it ride compared to a stiff cambered board like the custom x
theransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Haven't demod it this year yet.

But if I had a buddy that was coming from a custom x I would tell them to get a darker series now that it is a camber dominant board this year

Camber. Stiff. Set back directional twin. Sounds like a perfect match for a custom x rider.
ek9max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just picked mine up last weekend after doing tons of reserach and looking for the board. I picked mine up in the 158wide, went out and won a local Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge event in 26-35 year old mens category and qualified myself for finals that way. I've ridden a wide variety of boards over many years, competed in USASA, been to USASA Nationals, and done a bunch of other events along with coached an OISA team for a while

First off, this board is far meaner than the CustomX. It compares more to the Burton T7 if anything, a board I've competed in boardercross on. It has an ultra fast base, very stiff ride, aggressive camber and sidecut with full magnetraction. CustomX is in the same vicinity as this board, sure... but still a tame board compared to this.

This board is a hard pack killer. It's camber dominant, but has the dual camber profile to it which I really enjoy and I feel provides the best edge pressure distribution of any board I've ridden. It is FAST. I picked the board up, did multiple deep soaks with graphite wax, and hauled serious ass all day. Excellent quality! The board is stiff. For anyone coming off of a freestyle oriented board, this board will feel vague and grabby. It powers through everything though and doesn't have much torsional flex, which comes across as feedback. This board is stable at high speeds. A lot of the other Libtech profiles go a bit too strong on the reverse camber portion in he middle, and this results in less pressure on the full edge length. Not the case with this board. Your pressure is very evenly distributed across the entire edge length. The boards edge hold is unparalleled by any board I've ridden in the lib line or any other brand. This however is a mixed blessing. It will stick wherever you put it, including stick you your face if you aren't completely on your game. Combine that with how fast it is, and you can see how this board is quick to bite newer riders.

For freestyle I wouldn't bother with it on rails or boxes or the like. Not enough flex to press much. Excellent for big jumps. Carry in huge speed with strong pop and send it for days. Load the camber up spinning backside and reap the rewards. Land and bite down with your edge and ride away fast and smooth. I haven't taken this in the pipe but I'd bet dollars to donuts it slays pipe. It won't noodle out when you come off the wall hauling balls, it will hold more than you can probably put into it.

Overall, glad I purchased it for my one season on the iceacoast and the occasional speed oriented event (boarderX, banked slalom, slalom). Definitely a board that is part of a quiver though.

If I needed one do it all board from the libtech line, I'd look more at the Libtech Hotknife or TRS. Hotknife for east coast or jump and pipe riders, TRS for places likely to get pow dumps or kids looking to rock rails.

Last edited by shredjesse; 01-29-2014 at 02:43 PM.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Shredjesse, terrific review. Much appreciated.
I've been looking at this board since they changed it to C3 this year, and it sounds exactly as I expected, if not even more aggressive, which sounds great.

One question: did you try riding it switch at all? If yes, a noticeable difference from one side to the other or easy to ride switch?
It's hard to tell with directional twins how they will ride switch I find.

Thanks.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes I've ridden it switch. I'm at almost pegged out on stance width, and also .5" back per the factory setback, not my own settings. I had no issues with switch.

Be warned though: I actually find directional twins BETTER when ridden switch because you're a bit forward of center, and you'll get an early bite into the sidecut which makes it turn quicker. Until you're able to haul into 40'+ tables switch, you'll appreciate that quick turning as it's more responsive at lower speeds. If you're carrying large amounts of speed switch this board will be a bit more chattery and tend to push (due to being forward of center)... but honestly if a rider is even asking that question they probably aren't that kind of rider.

I wouldn't recommend riding this board switch to a newer or even intermediate to riding switch rider though mainly due to the stiff board delivering a somewhat vague feeling. You really don't get tons of feel for what's beneath your feet at lower speeds. It doesn't provide much feel at all until your devouring whatever terrain you're approaching.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Sweet.
Gotta see about demoing this board - or getting it on a year end clearance sale.

Thanks again.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah... it's definitely not the cheapest board. Still, when compared to the Custom X, it's MSRP is $30 more and it's a vastly superior snowboard.

I wish they posted the Molecular weight of the base material of this board, or anyboard anymore for that matter. I'd bet dollars to donuts it's a Sintered 9600 series base while the custom X is a 7600 series.

I hate how companies are hiding behind marketing Jargon these days :/
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So.... how would you say this compares to a Rome Artifact?

tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
Yeah... it's definitely not the cheapest board. Still, when compared to the Custom X, it's MSRP is $30 more and it's a vastly superior snowboard.

I wish they posted the Molecular weight of the base material of this board, or anyboard anymore for that matter. I'd bet dollars to donuts it's a Sintered 9600 series base while the custom X is a 7600 series.

I hate how companies are hiding behind marketing Jargon these days :/
nice review..Sounds like exactly what I want.
BFBF is offline   Reply With Quote