Powder board for bigger guys - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder board for bigger guys

So, I gained about 30 pounds since injuring my knee and having surgery year before last. I'm now just over 6' and around 230 lbs with size 12s. Looking for a powder board, but preferably something that can also handle some groomers ok. Budget is low for this one. So far, I'm looking at a K2 Gyrator, Ride Slackcountry ul, or maybe a Burton Juice Wagon (partly because I already have some est triads on my custom x and love those bindings). If I get a non-burton deck, my cartels will be going on it.

I found a 11/12 Gyrator 168 for well under $300, 11/12 Slackcountry ul 168 for a little over $300, and a Juice Wagon 170 for almost $400. Anybody close to my size ride any of these, or recommend another board in that price range? I should be a little closer to 200 lbs next season, so I want a board that will be nice at that weight also.

I know the Gyrator is going be Pow only, but for the price I might jump on it. Read some good reviews. Apparently, the slackcountry ul does not float the best, but still decent in deep powder. Is the juice wagon 170 going to float me, is it even worth it as a pow board?
vajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I always kinda chuckle at the huge boards people talk about. Unless your riding cambered decks ,under 20 degree slopes all day and really need the surface area to float, it's not needed. I'm 6' or 6'1" and 280 right now. I Ride 162w/163w. I typically stick to steeper terrain in powder and have no issues moving right along and floating through it. I ride hybrid boards mainly too, this helps with float. I hate the longer boards in bumped or gladed terrain. I'm right at 70 days this season so Far so I'm not inexperienced nor am I a 280lb slug.

The only bigger board I'm upgrading to will be for my split board. "Wild" snow just rides way different than waist/chest deep snow with a resort type of base.....
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not really that interested in opinions on length, just opinions on these boards or similar boards. I have gotten heavier and my boards have gotten longer and longer over last 20 years. I rode camber boards boards as short as 154 back in the day when I was 6', 165 lbs and riding park most of the time. Now, 168 on a straight camber deck, like my custom x is actually about perfect. The juice wagon 170 would be fine.The gyrator and slackcountry I found are only normal width at that price and the 168s have the right width for my feet. They might be a little long, but not real bad. I would rather have a 163 or 162 wide for those boards if I could find them at a good price.

I do have a 163 wide flat rocker board now and I would have liked more length on the days I've ridden it in powder, otherwise the size is fine. But it is not really made for powder anyway.

-Actually, you did get me thinking ahead for when I lose weight...they do have slackcountry in a 164 and waist width is just wide enough at 25.8. Kind of looking like my best option under $400.

Last edited by vajohn; 01-26-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just ordered a 12/13 K2 peace keeper 165 for only $260 shipped. Slightly narrow for size 12, but it is the same width as my custom x so it should be fine with the canted footbeds on my cartels.

Also considered getting last year's Jones Hovercraft for $200 shipped. But the biggest was a 160 and apparently the older ones had quality control issues. I saw they now make a 164 and changed factories for better build quality, only $450 list.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajohn View Post
Just ordered a 12/13 K2 peace keeper 165 for only $260 shipped. Slightly narrow for size 12, but it is the same width as my custom x so it should be fine with the canted footbeds on my cartels.

Also considered getting last year's Jones Hovercraft for $200 shipped. But the biggest was a 160 and apparently the older ones had quality control issues. I saw they now make a 164 and changed factories for better build quality, only $450 list.
New or second hand? That's a great deal on the Peace Keeper, if they have another one let me know...
cerebroside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
New or second hand? That's a great deal on the Peace Keeper, if they have another one let me know...
Brand new, first quality. Check Sierra Trading, but you need to sign up for email and they should send you a code. I think the code they sent me for 40 percent off and free ship is one time use. They have some other boards on sale also.

-Check your email

Last edited by vajohn; 01-28-2014 at 04:49 PM.