Please help set my gear straight! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help set my gear straight!

Could really use a bit of help here, gents. I have the following setup and I'm looking for a bit of critique/correction if needed so I am better suited for an upcoming trip.

First off, I'm 6'4" weighing in at a athletic 235 lbs. I am an intermediate rider hitting the mountain once/twice a year with a upcoming trip planned for Vail. I don't see enough board time to become skilled for large jumps/half pipe/park work although I'd like to. Currently, I'd say I'm an all mountain rider.

The attached pics show the following:

Ride Fleetwood board (165 cm)
Burton Mission bindings
Burton Boxer boots (size 14)

Although I am aware setups vary greatly depending on the rider, perhaps I can attain a general direction from the following questions. (please see attached pics)

1. Given my weight/height, is this board the correct size? From what I've read 165 cm seems fairly accurate?

2. Is the board too narrow? I have Shrek feet and worry about toe/heel overhang. Would I be better served by a wider board?

3. I want to feel more comfortable riding switch for tricks and landings. But from what I can tell this board is directional, correct? That's never going to feel right, huh? Perhaps I need a twin board instead?

4. My footedness is goofy and I positioned for a slight duck to hopefully help with riding switch. Is full duck best for switch?

5. Any comments regarding my binding settings? Would you recommend making any changes? If any measurements are need I can get those.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by leland07; 01-26-2014 at 12:08 PM.
leland07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1. I would guess this to be pretty close to the ride size actually.

2. Before looking at photos I was going to say yes, probably too narrow. After looking at the photos your boots look very centered and I don't see any extreme over hang......EDIT: I just looked at the photos from the bottom of the board and a wide is probably a good idea after all. I have small feet so hard for me to judge this. Maybe ignore me on this and wait for the masters.

3. A true twin will always be best for switch just based on the fact that the radius and side cut will be equal going both ways.

4. This depends on you to be honest. For me I think my hips are fucked..... as I ride goofy as well, I ride a true twin and I ride 18/-12 and I am learning switch just fine. My natural stance off a board is not perfect duck so I don't force it to be on the board.

5. From the photos it looks pretty solid, but only you will know if it feels right while riding. I change up the odd thing here and there almost every time I go out just to see how it feels. I am slowly narrowing it down....lol
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

everything looks good. thats a directional twin, should no issue riding switch.

as far as width- put board on feet in livingroom, lean over toeside (hands on floor) until your toes touch the ground and lifts the edge off the carpet, if you think you carve that deep or more get a wide, if not you are fine.

maybe try a wider stance, i ride +15/-15 angles so i can ride switch easier, even on directional boards.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That board is probably too narrow. It will work for you but if you try to carve and get into your turns, most likely you will catch at some point. Not a huge deal. I noticed you have both bindings set all the way forward. Looks like you almost have more tail than nose. I read the set back on that board is only 1 inch. You might benefit from moving your back binding back a bit. You can still totally ride switch on that board, being directional isn't a deal breaker. However if you want a new board that's twin, get one. I don't think it needs to be 165. You would still have fun on a twin at 160. It just wouldn't be your pow deck.

Ps. Your base looks thirsty. Give her some wax.

Last edited by ridinbend; 01-26-2014 at 12:55 PM.
ridinbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I doubt you will catch either toe or heel with that ammount of overhang. Have you ever ridden that setup? Have your toes/heel ever caught snow?? MAYBE if you're targetting really deep carves, which given by you choice for duck and wanting to do some park and switch riding, i doubt you'll be dedicating yourself to that style.

6'4" is tall, and it seems like your stance is a bit narrow, so if you moved your bindings 1 step towards the tip/tail your boots will hang even less and your stance will be a bit wider and more stable forcing a bit of better posture which is really good for bumpy terrain, parks and jumps... try that first (moving front binding 1 step towards nose and rear binding 1 step towards tail) and see how the new stance width feels...

Directional twin makes very little difference for riding switch.

Last edited by F1EA; 01-26-2014 at 02:00 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the bindings don't look centered. I'm talking about bolt hole settings. Looks like they are set towards the tip rather than set back or centered in the side cut. It's hard to tell
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the bindings don't look centered. I'm talking about bolt hole settings. Looks like they are set towards the tip rather than set back or centered in the side cut. It's hard to tell
You're right! looks like that from the pic showing the insert holes.....

OP - google (or just measure) your board and see of your reference stance is centered or already setback a little. If it is centered and you want to keep it that way for riding switch, adjust your width by moving front and rear binding equally... if it's already setback and you want to center it, adjust by moving your front binding more towards the tip. You're going to have to get info about your board and apply simple geometry logic.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Echo echo echo
ridinbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

it'll get you down the hill, but imo the ideal with your specs would be a 161W-163W...as it is, if you can push your binding angles a few more degrees then you should, but it'll work
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
Echo echo echo
that's good!
Means he's not getting conflicting information