4 helmets - first time boarding - advice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
ChadwickVM

Question 4 helmets - first time boarding - advice?

Hi everyone,

So this is going to be my first time snowboarding and, as such, I figured it'd be a good idea to nab a helmet. I need it cheap but functional and comfortable. Here are the four I've narrowed it down to. Let me know what you think. If you have any experience with a model or prefer one type over another please let me know. The last two are the same but one has earphones. Not sure if I'll use them, but I throw them both in anyway.

RED Skycap - Best Prices On RED Skycap Snowboard Helmet Black

Giro Encore 2 - Giro Encore 2 Helmet from Backcountry.com

Protec Classic Audio - Save on Protec Classic Audio Snowboard Helmet Matte Grey - Mens Snowboards Helmets Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Protec Classic - Save on Protec Classic Snowboard Helmet Matte Black - Mens Snowboards Helmets Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Thanks a bunch

EDIT: Also, I'm going to be getting goggles with these (which is another thread all together) so if any of these don't play nice w/ them, feel free to throw that in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wear a RED and love it. I think that they are the lightest and you will forget about it being on your head.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
powderjet81

I have a Giro G10 which i fits me really well. I find that smith helmets are very similar as well.

But u will be much better off trying some on. Everyones head is different so having others recommend you helmets is going to be of limited use to you. try goggles on at the same time to make sure that they fit well with your helmet. Otherwise you may end up being a world-class gaper.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
ChadwickVM

Awesome! Thanks for the advice guys. Well, it looks like I may give going to the store a second run before I make my purchase. I got goggles and I'm going to bring them with and get a good feel for some more helmets. My one obstacle will be finding a store around here that sells them. The ski shop here doesn't carry more than a couple and dick's has only youth sizes left. Other than that, I can't find a single store around here for it. May have to get it on the way to the place I'm boarding at. I'm definitely going to keep the RED and Giro in mind as I keep hearing great things about both brands. I also got to try on an Encore 2 but the giant set of goggles that dicks had seemed to push the helmet off my head so I'm going to try again with the goggles I bought.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

I think you should try them, on before you buy.