NS Proto-how loose? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto-how loose?

Really torn on committing to the Proto HDX.
I have read heaps of reviews of course, plenty available, which answers a lot of questions on the board. However one thing remains unclear to me. I know a lot of comments out there that it can get a little squirrelly/loose at high speed. I understand this situation is only on low edge levels and flatbasing vs on a solid high edge carve were it should be rock solid.
So heres my big question. I'll give a you a scenario, basically bombing it down a decently steep fall line on a very light toe edge pressure so you're pretty much following the fall line but not flatbasing, just pressure on a very slight edge.
How loose is it exactly?

I take it the board wanders a little but is it a case of just hold your line and don't panic about the little wandering (similar to a dirt bike under acceleration you just let it wander a little but you can keep the throttle open?) or are we talking that it catastrophic wandering onto a wrong edge and fling you, so you need to pull out and slow things down?

Also another scenario- hitting good size kickers, say 30ft (and not spinning) kicker faces are pretty firm, when you flat base up the face going at decent speed will the board move around to an unsettling, potentially fatal amount?, or can you rely on it to stay flatbased and pop off the jump with confidence?

Sorry they may seem like silly questions, as a little difficult to ask in writing to be honest. I assume it is more of a feeling that the board is moving around (like my motocross analogy) rather than it trying to spin on the rocker to a toe edge scorpion at full speed?

To give you a better idea of my situation to relate it too, I love freestyle and Proto is one of the few boards thats reviewed that constantly gets the word "fun" associated with it, and it sounds great. Issue is I also like going fast, 100km/h, 60mph, and if this board is going to kill me then I'd rather not.
Also contemplating the Ripsaw which I know would be awesome for ripping and jumps but its going to likely loose that fun factor in the park, rails and those afternoons spent messing about when things are chopped up.
Speaking of which the Proto being softer should be more mellow ride in the late afternoon, on tracked out, mounded runs rather than the stiffer Ripsaw?

I have been riding for about 18 years on Camber boards only, have no fear of edge catching or needing a catch free ride (well except on rails and boxes where it does come into my mind of course). Understand a lot of the technical aspects of the new tech but just wondering what are the actual real life affects of these squirrelly, loose rides that people talk about with Rocker and RC?

thanks,
NZRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Try to demo a rocker/camber board first. You may love it, you may hate it. It does take a little getting used to coming from camber. You have to learn to trust it.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Try to demo a rocker/camber board first. You may love it, you may hate it. It does take a little getting used to coming from camber. You have to learn to trust it.
Thats the problem I don't get chance to demo here in New Zealand since its summer, will be in Colorado next month and want to commit to a board for the start of the holiday. I am happy to take a bit of a plunge and learn a new feeling (but saying that, that's why I'm on here, to help make an informed decision)
You mention "learn to trust it" so I take it you're saying it is a solid platform it just moves around a bit and you don't actually need to correct it, just let it run?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pretty much. It's definitely a looser, more playful ride with the rocker between the feet, but when you lay into it the camber sections engage and the edge hold is very good. But again, not quite as good as regular camber. It's really personal preference. I like the rocker/camber profile, but I can understand why some still prefer camber. Different strokes for different folks. Spending some time on it is really the only way to find out if it's what you prefer.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lin is right.

I'll give you my take on it. I have 21 days on it so far and I love it. Its not as damp and smooth riding as the SL but its not super chattery either. The only time it chatters for me is when I'm bombing flat base. As soon as you go in an edge it engages the camber tip and tail and contact points and holds really well at high speeds (almost as good as the SL). When I flat base to a jump it drives very straight and true (especially compared to a skate banana). It has really good pop but might not be as good as your use too.

I hope that helped.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRide View Post
Thats the problem I don't get chance to demo here in New Zealand since its summer, will be in Colorado next month and want to commit to a board for the start of the holiday. I am happy to take a bit of a plunge and learn a new feeling (but saying that, that's why I'm on here, to help make an informed decision)
You mention "learn to trust it" so I take it you're saying it is a solid platform it just moves around a bit and you don't actually need to correct it, just let it run?
I reckon you could probably demo the proto in CO when you arrive there. Or at least ask to try before you buy in some local shops as long you commit to buying "a board" from them etc. Email NS customer services and ask which local dealers have their boards for demo. I'm sure they'll help you and with 18 years under your belt, I bet you'll be crushing it after a couple of days to get used to it...
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100 View Post
I reckon you could probably demo the proto in CO when you arrive there. Or at least ask to try before you buy in some local shops as long you commit to buying "a board" from them etc. Email NS customer services and ask which local dealers have their boards for demo. I'm sure they'll help you and with 18 years under your belt, I bet you'll be crushing it after a couple of days to get used to it...
Mountain Wave I think its called next to Mi Casa in Breck had a Proto HD demo/rental board. But I'm not sure which mountain you are going to.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident Snowman

I hit large jumps, straight airs, spins almost daily on the proto hd. Never thought it was too loose. I do several butter tricks, simple stuff like tail and nose presses, nose rolls, nose roll to 1s, 3s never felt at any time it was loose.

Maybe it is more of a control thing and I have gotten used to it and compensate. I have 100 days on my proto ct and probably 25 on the HD so far.

In my opinion the weakness of the proto is you get a lot of feedback, it is not very damp. For my riding style I prefer feedback and can handle the extra work my legs have to do to make up for it. For some they need a more damp board for riding through chop. Or the dampness helps them keep the legs "fresh".
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise so far guys. I brought an epic local pass on some advise on this forum to make it cheaper for the few weeks I am there. It covers Breck that you mention, and Vail, Keystone and A basin. We are staying in Frisco but just using the public transport so if the store is at one of the resorts it would probably be do-able. I was keen to have it all sorted before I arrived but this method does have its benefits, hmmmmm more stuff to think about, how to make all this work (I need to get a new board for the wife also).
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

CO is the home of NS. I'd be shocked if you couldn;t demo it while you're there...
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote