Looking for an All Mountain, Smash Everything board? Look here! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Looking for an All Mountain, Smash Everything board? Look here!

Hey guys,

So after spending my weekend going to places and searching up online to get a new setup for 2014-2015 season(waiting for discounts to come by Feb/March), I decided to post my research results. Although I may be a bit biased towards some brands, I did include most popular brands as much as possible.

So here it goes.

All Mountain-On the softer side(typically a little bit more unstable, better at jib and butter)
-Bataleon Whatever/Evil Twin
-Capita Ultrafear
-Salomon Villain
-K2 Happy Hour
-Arbor Westmark/Blacklist
-NS evo
-Signal Freedom Machine
-Yes The Greats

All Mountain-On the harder side(typically a little bit more stable, better at bigger jumps and carving)
-Capita Indoor Survival FK/Defenders of Awesome/Outsiders
-K2 Raygun
-Salomon Time Machine
-Rome Mod Rocker
-Yes the Basics
-Salomon Assasins
-NS Proto
-Arbor Coda
-Signal OG
-Bataleon Goliath

I do have a list of park-oridneted boards and more free-ride oriented boards in separate categories(such as Yes Jackpot for park or Capita Totally Fk'n Awesome for freeride), but did not list them as this is for all-mountain.

These are basically best of class, recognized, acknowledged and well reviewed boards. A lot of them are award winners and they will do EVERYTHING, but every board is better than others at something. Some might be better at being stable, but lack pop or softness to jib.

To use this table.
1.Find where you go most in the mountain. Groomers or Park? In the park, rails/boxes/butter or jumps? Why are you changing your board? Do you need more stability and speed? Or do you need a softer board to jib around more?
2.Groomers(cruising)+Jumps=stiffer, other park+butter=softer.
3.Research each board of their camber/rocker profiles. What technology? For what reason? Which one fits you? Each technology has its strengths(more pop, less edge, less pop, more edge, etc. etc.). Even though tech has evolved so much that every board is fairly good at maintaining advantages of camber or rocker, each board inevitably sucks at one than the other depending on technology.
4.Design? Size? Price? Availability? Check and check.
5.Buy.

I tried to help you by categorizing VERY similarly-flexed boards into two categories.

I bet you, even though I haven't owned every one of them, that you will be satisfied with any one of these if you've chosen them carefully for your purpose. I've spent more than 35 hours(ofc, I wasn't spending time 100% on researching..reseraching within a 35-hour period very frequently when possible) just researching every board online for any complaints or defects. I've been to multiple shops in Vancouver to try flexing them, looking at technology and hearing from my buddies. Every board is what every company has best to offer, and has the latest yet approved technology incorporated into it. They're all very reasonably priced.

*I have not included Mervin snowboards or Burton ones. I don't like them and I'm not spending time on stuff that I do not like. Feel free to do your own research.

*Forum/Ride/Lobster/Rome/Flow/Endeavor etc.-I did not look in to these brands at all, or only at top models. Other brands were plentiful for me to research and my head is about to get cracked from knowledge, and I gave up and I don't like these brand names anyways(no offense).

If this helped you, bump it!

Last edited by tlatmdeh; 01-27-2014 at 04:07 AM.
tlatmdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

and your point is...in your humble opinion...

Well ok then
Old 01-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
and your point is...in your humble opinion...

Well ok then

Yep. This post is very biased as I have taken out/have not included many brands.

However I was not biased towards any brands and have only included widely-acknowledged snowboards, and tried to include brands that I did not know of or did not have interest in before. (arbor, ride, rome, etc.)

There, of course, can be boards that are recognizable but missing. You can suggest that, but don't expect it to be edited in the post as I'm trying to be as objective as possible and what may be heavenly to you may be not for others.

These boards are highly likely to give satisfaction, but not 100% guaranteed. What fits 90% of people can't fit you. But if a person looking for a new board looks through the steps of chosing a board out of these, well-recognized and reviewed and certified boards, I'm more than sure that they will be satisfied.

If they're not, I'm not sure what they might be looking for
Old 01-27-2014, 04:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

you have to figure out which profile you like first.

I myself don't like camber boards or flat profile boards for mt riding.
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24WERD View Post
you have to figure out which profile you like first.

I myself don't like camber boards or flat profile boards for mt riding.
Exactly. Which is why, after categorizing them in to freestyle-oriented or freeride-oriented all mountain boards, I have suggested that people look for what tech they like.

Camber? Rocker? What benefits of camber do you want, and how much of it? Are you willing to lose camber boards' pop for easy turn initiations and catch-free rocker turns? The other way around??

Even camrockers have different ratios that may significantly affect how the board rides. How much camber or how much rocker?

The money is a sizeable investment but i'd hate to throw out or leave a board at home for a new one, or be dissatisifed on top of the mountain when days on the mountain are extremely few(esp. for me)
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

I'm a retard...and still don't get your point...except that you have done some admittedly biased, limited research and based on that which also seems to be your view of the valid popular ? sources....thus recommending that most folks will be satisfied. Which these folks are the presumably the uninformed, beginners or just lazy and willing to take your word that they will be satisfied.

So are you also selling property in the everglades?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm a retard...and still don't get your point...except that you have done some admittedly biased, limited research and based on that which also seems to be your view of the valid popular ? sources....thus recommending that most folks will be satisfied. Which these folks are the presumably the uninformed, beginners or just lazy and willing to take your word that they will be satisfied.

So are you also selling property in the everglades?

I guess you are one. Everybody's views are biased, does that mean no one should post reviews, or comment on somebody needing help to buy something?Your logic is the purely dumb. Did I get paid to get this researched? I did research for other people who's in the same situation as I am. There are over 20 REALLY popular snowboard brands and EACH one has DIFFERENT technology that performs DIFFERENTLY, at DIFFERENT prices and DIFFERENT designes and DIFFERENT purposes. See how many different's there are? That adds up. If you call somebody lazy for not reasearching 1000+ models of snowboards, you must be working 24/7.

My point is, I've done some reasearch for you, here's some things to consider, and if you consider these things, you will most likely buy what satisfies you at a higher chance, then just posting to a forum "What snowboard should i buy " Then buying a snowbard based on 1~2 forum members who is probably extremely biased.

My view of popular is most sold/most debated snowboard. Does it mean they're the best? No, which is why I researched reviews. I went to Angrysnowboard's blog to dig up 2011-2014 reviews, digged up multiple forums, disregarding stupid posts and taking in info that seems unbiased and comparable. Looked at comments of reviews, asked snowboard shops, asked friends. What better resource is there??? You and I know that not much gained from spec sheet. A similar looking snowboard at the same size with same technology may feel a lot different.

Your point about helping beginners or "lazy snowboarders". I intend to do both, and more.

It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or not. If you're a beginner, I've thrown at you the most popular, well-recognized and debated snowboards that do not have major defects, but only marginal performance differences and fundamental structure differences that will help you decide.

If you're an advanced snowboarder, like me, but do not have any idea of newer snowboards, and do not know of new tech, here you go. I have thrown at you the most considerable and possibly best options on the market for reasonable price. They might fit you, might not. I haven't said, specifically, which board is good.

I have just thrown at you, some of the best options that I found, and many many other reviewers and uses found, to be viable in many aspects.

If you still don't understand, I have no idea how to explain this to you. I hope you understand that not many people have complilated this kind of list of popular, well designed and well priced snowboards

This shows the trend for this year, the trend of the price, the tech., the brand, etc. at one sight. Not many people buy snowboards every year. A good snowboard will last you at least 2 years or even 4~5 depending on how rough your ride. And a lot of people do not have time to research every brand and model at different price points. Especially when snowboards are objects that can be especially challenging to chose due to its nature of complexity.

i know for a fact that a lot of people don't want to waste 400~500 on somthing they don't like. More than that, I know that a lot of people don't want to chose a snowboard that they will hate up in the mountain on a good day. I also know that a lot of people are desperate for someone to organize this kind of thing so that they have a full table of good and well-reviewed models at adequate price and performance that they can chose from, instead of picking out specific models from each brand for their tech and design, looking at their differences, comparing prices, reading reviews for each one of them, asking this vs that questions for 1000 snowboards.

Time is precious. Which is why I'm going to sleep now. Hope you understand this. Otherwise, this might help(http://www.aboutourkids.org/families...signs_symptoms)

Last edited by tlatmdeh; 01-27-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

So at a budget conscious price point...your list is the bestest of compromise for "all mtn soft" vs "all mtn stiffer" for the mostest...it just seems rather vauge and generalized....and dare say imho "not that useful"

fwiw...being an old grumpy pantz...nevermind...appologies...my bad.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
So at a budget conscious price point...your list is the bestest of compromise for "all mtn soft" vs "all mtn stiffer" for the mostest...it just seems rather vauge and generalized....and dare say imho "not that useful"

fwiw...being an old grumpy pantz...nevermind...appologies...my bad.
How more specific can I get.. I've broken down a category of "all mountain" into "soft vs stiff" so that people who prefer park more go for softer boards while people who prefer cruising and hitting natural objects go for stiffer boards. Do you want me to specify each board and basically consolidate a mega-huge thread filled with reviews, comments and specs of every single board?

I think I've done enough work and gave you options. You literally have 5~6 boards that you have to research to see which one fits your personal taste that I cannot determine over the internet. Instead of 1000 boards that you have to research for, you now only have to spend an hour or two researching 5~6 boards for their specs, technology, reviews and prices(availability). I'm not your personal tailor that can tell you everything. Telling you specific models is enough, I think. You should go say that some of the stickies are not specific enough and that they are too generalized.....Go to "Rocker, Camber..and everything in between" thread and tell the author that it's too generalized, that he has to offer every single board for every single tech with specific reviews and research of 4000 + words.

Might not be useful for you, but looking at 5+thread on this forum alone that asks "which board should I get for all mtn? I ride park more" or "stiff or softer board for ______? rocker or camber?" "what's the best board for $500?" "what brand is good?" "I need something that can do everything well, recommend me some," "ugh.. I don't knwo what I should get for a new board. I like ___-brand. Which one?" "I need a snowboard below $500 but still can do everything and has good pop, which one?"

All answers to these questions can be obtained by this thread+1 hour of researching the boards' technologies(and what those tech.s are good at) and reviews.

Last edited by tlatmdeh; 01-27-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

first, you are ignorant for not including all those other brands. they are the big ones for a reason, they make high quality boards that lots of people like to ride.

second, there have been many posts like this before, they die and fade into the back pages of the boards forum where forum noobs never venture. most people don't know how to do a site search or are to lazy. every fall there is an influx of "which board for me" then arguments over which board is better then arguments between fanboys over who's brand is better.

you are wasting your time posting highly opinionated generalizations like this, within two days tops of this post there will be a "which board for me post"