Foggy Goggles - is there a cure? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
vivekvp

Question Foggy Goggles - is there a cure?

Hello,

Are there really such things an anti fog goggles that really work?

On a very cold day, I put on my Bula face mask - it rides high on my face and my goggles almost contact it.

Problem is, when I breath though the nose piece, somehow warm air gets into my goggles and causes fogging. Not just fogging, the condensation turns to ice. I cannot see while going down the hill. I have to take off my goggles and at speed, my eyes water, and I still cannot see. Or I get snow in my eyes which is worse.

Any help here?

Thanks,

V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well facemasks almost always cause fog becuase you are throwing hot air right under the goggles, i dont even think its possible for something not to fog like that. your gogs shouldnt be fogging without a mask though..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rhett056

Put toothpaste in the inside of your googles and make sure you get it all cover then simply wipe off! Wa La defogger
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The mask I wear (the combo clava that you can find in just about every ski shop) has holes for the mouth and a slit for the nose that helps alleviate this problem.

The only time I get condensation from my breath in my goggles is when I am panting very heavily and very quickly.

I have a pair of ~$60 smith goggles and I don't ever take them off after I start my runs for the day until I get lunch at the lodge. I don't have fogging problems with them at all.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
dre147

I always have this issue. Snowolf what is the band aid trick?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
MSchumacher

I bought an anti-fog spray at canadian tire and it did the trick. You can breath on them and they won't fog up at all. Try any automotive store
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Or just wear your bandana a little lower. I had the same thing happening to me where the condensation inside my goggles froze and the only way to make my goggles useful again was to go to the chalet and stick 'em under the hand-dryer until I could be sure there was no more moisture inside. It sucked, and it had everything to do with my bandana. That aside, if I had to choose between goggles and face-mask I'd choose goggles, so be prepared to make that same choice.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
mc99david

shaving cream works too, i use this on the viser of my motorcycle helmet, even when its super cold with all the vents taped shut, still no fog, you just put the shaving cream on, and wipe it right back off
Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gustov

i have never seen fog on my oakley crowbars and i wear a face mask. the anti fog stuff usually works, some much better than others.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
hm1sfidc

Default Goggle fan

Saw a new add while I was up as snowshoe, some dude was advertising a goggle fan that would fit 90% of the goggles on the market, supposidly it has 3 settings, on/off, and an auto setting that pops on and off depending on if it detects a certain level of humidity.
Should work well. I know its not the same I roll with a goggle fan in one of my paintball masks. I willlook it up man see if I can hook ya up.

Holla !

http://www.habervision.com/product/12013.aspx