Arbor A-Frame for me? Intermediate midwest/west board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
robzr

Default Arbor A-Frame for me? Intermediate midwest/west board

I'm 190 lbs, 6', I guess "intermediate" skill in that I go a few times a year to midwest hills and/or out west (colorado).. The extent of my skills, I have no problem riding most summit county blacks, and I can ride fakie on colorado blues, I like doing some light tree stuff but nothing too crazy or fast, and I like taking little jumps (bumps) to get a foot or two of air.

I have a Vail/Beaver Creek trip coming up in a few weeks. I've been riding my first board, a Salomon Prospect LTD 157cm freestyle that I learned on.. I'd like to step up to something a bit faster and stiffer so it doesn't feel so squirrely on ice and bumpy areas. I don't really do any park stuff so I don't need a freestyle type board.

I was looking at the Arbor boards and I'm curious if you guys think an A-Frame 162 is too much board for me... or any other recommendations, the Element 161 sounds nice too. I'd be curious if anyone else has made a similar switch and how different you think riding will feel?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You should be fine with either board. Both are fantastic boards, and Arbors are very nice.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
robzr

Well I pulled the trigger on the A-Frame 162... I was a little hesitant because the Arbor tech recommended a 158 for me, but that sounded a bit on the short side. A few of the online reviews I read said this board likes to go fast and can bite ya if you don't, so I'll just have to abide

I got it for $419 shipped from gorgeperformance.com, shipping was quick, and you can't beat that price! (new, 2009 model). They also have Elements for $349 shipped.

Rob
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
fossilX

99% sure i am going to get this board when it goes on sale for next season, please give us some detailed feedback after you get a chance to ride it.

btw what bindings/boots did you combo with it?

thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
robzr

Will do, we were hoping to make it to a little hill this weekend but it got warm... next weekend we're going to hopefully make it out to Devils Head or Granite Peak, we'll see. I have a pair of pretty basic Salomon boots and a set of Flow Amp 5 bindings, nothing too fancy there, but they seem to do the job for me. The boots are size 10 and it looks like they'll fit without drag on the A-Frame, since it's about exactly the same width around the bindings as my Prospect was. I did have to move them forward a hole to stop heel drag with that setup.

I can't wait to get out and ride, hopefully next weekend that will happen. This board is really nice looking, man it's going to be painful the first few times it gets run over or bashed on the lift

Rob
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
fossilX

on snowboarding.colonies.com there is a thread on refurbishing your A FRAME considering it dings and scratches easily, i guess you can fix it and make it like new and take all the blemishes out ..
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Great choice. I'm willing to be you'll be very happy with your decision.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
robzr

Thanks for the tip fossilX, I think I found the thread you're talking about (some instructions Arbor had but pulled from their site?).

I just ordered some new bindings and boots now, couldn't resist with that 40% off sierrasnowboard sale, so I got some Flow M11 freeride bindings (the amp 5s are more freestyle) and some Malamute boots, nice and stiff, so I can get more out of this A-Frame. Can't freakin wait to ride, if the weathers too warm for Wisconsin next weekend we're going on a road trip to da U P!

Rob
Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
fossilX

let me know about the UP my buddy was talkin about maybe goin up there, and also keep us posted on the a frame