Advice on new board? Go Pro? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on new board? Go Pro?

Hey guys,
I currently am shredding a Ride Crush.
It just isn't up to standards.
I am looking for a new board for the 2014/15 season.
5'8 1'45 lbs, I feel like going a bit lighter
I usually ride park hitting kickers or natural hits. I am
looking at the NS Proto HD.
Any suggestions?

Also, any thoughts on buying a Go Pro, $450 for a cam I might not use all that much is kinda steep. Is it worth it?

Last edited by CameronFong; 01-28-2014 at 01:02 AM.
CameronFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-proto-vs.html that thread is a good list of Proto alternatives.

just get the cheapest go pro for 200 bucks if you really want one. i have one but rarely use it; almost only on pow days or on my motorcycle.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's hard to go wrong with a NS board.

As for the camera, I have a Contour Roam video camera that I got a year ago from Amazon for $100. Out of the box it only does 720p at 30fps. But you can put the Roam 2 firmware on it to make it do 60fps at 720p. Still only 30fps if you go up to 1080p, but videos shot at 720p/60fps look great. It's waterproof up to 3 meters without the need for a case. And it isn't box shaped. I've always thought the box shape of a gopro looks silly. Looks way better mounted to my helmet than a gopro would.
SuCoSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are quite a few gopro alternatives for less money. JVC, Contour, Sony, Drift...etc. Actually, the newest Sony is about the price you're talking and shoots superior quality video compared to the best gopro. There are lots of comparisons on youtube to check out.

I use my Nikon aw110 tough camera for video and it is about as good as a gopro, you just have to be creative for mounting (adapters to use gopro mounts). Gopro has some crazy marketing going on, so most people automatically think that's the only option for action cams.
vajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just picked up a New Drift Ghost-S. Dumped all my Go Pro cameras/mounts etc. To be honest, after playing around with it in the house, just on the basis of form, function, battery life and quality, I'll never purchase another GoPro product again. They are a marketing machine but their cameras shape, firmware, battery life etc. are awful. And this is coming from someone that's been with them since the first model, long before it went mainstream.

I'm sure there's some GoPro fanboys out their that would argue to the ends of the earth with me but I assure you there are better products out there from companies without the advertising resources.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote