Another Board for a Newbie - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Starrin

Default Another Board for a Newbie

Hello - I am sure this is a question that is constantly asked ... but I have to give it a whirl.

My daughter and I are loving snowboarding and I would categorize the both of us as beginner.

I am looking to purchase a couple of our first boards:

She is 8 years old (55 pounds / still growing / rides in the Northeast with me) - I was thinking of the K2 Luna - anything out of the ordinary with this? Would like to get her something that she could grow into, perhaps a board that goes up to her nose or a bit beyond.

For myself I am stumped

I am 185 pounds and 5 feet 10 inches - My boot size is a 10 - in my mid 30s - location of riding is the Northeast in Pennsylvania (but the hope is to occassionally travel to Vail/Aspen/Vermont etc...)

We just do the Mountain style of riding ... no park.

The price is not an obstacle.

THank You and I love this forum!

Last edited by Starrin; 01-27-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

A common misconception with buying boards is the height being between the chin and eyes. Weight is actually an improtant factor. I found this site to be helpful when i was choosing a board. ( Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator ) I would stay away from K2. I personally dont find their stuff to be made very well. Hope that helps any. When you're ready to buy, the-house and proboardshop.com are great sites and the staff is helpful if you have questions.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
RndmManiak

For you I would recommend the Arbor Formula, it's what I learned on, albeit it was a guys board and I'm a female. My friend (male) has the exact same board, is not a beginner and still loves it. It's a good board for learning. For your weight, if you just go the arbor site, they give weight ranges for the board, you want to TRY to be in the middle, but in the end it's better to end up with a smaller board that you can actually maneuver, that a big board that's hard for you to control. I'm same weight, 5'8" and started with a 152, but have ridden the 155 and had no problems. The 158 would probably be best for you, but that's just my opinion. It's also the only TRUE beginner board I could find at the time.

Burton has some good kids boards, check those out too. (Burton.com) But I have friends who ride K2 and have nothing negative to say.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
A common misconception with buying boards is the height being between the chin and eyes. Weight is actually an improtant factor. I found this site to be helpful when i was choosing a board. ( Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator ) I would stay away from K2. I personally dont find their stuff to be made very well. Hope that helps any. When you're ready to buy, the-house and proboardshop.com are great sites and the staff is helpful if you have questions.
k2 makes good stuff...as far as i know they have no history of board problems at all, and while no board is going to be perfect, they really just dont have issues too often..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
DennisK

K2 is an awesome company. Real brands to stay away from: Lamar, Morrow, LTD, Sims basically any brands you find at sports authority or big chains. Having that said I highly recommend the Rossignol Alias. Was my beginner board, great to learn, flexy enough for a beginner gave it to my friend and he loves the heck out of it.

The REAL issue is getting comfortable and fitting boots for both you and your daughter. Goto a local ski or snowboard shop and have them size you up.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

the alias is a good board - something in the high 150s would be fine

can be found for under $200 for 08 models

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Starrin

WOW --- and thank you for the great advice.

This might be a lame question - but when considering weight - do you all count your weight with all you ski gear on (jacket, goggles, pants, boots, etc....)?

Thank you again - this is a huge help
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
RndmManiak

Hm, never thought about that. Just shoot to be in the middle weight of the board and then you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
jmoes21

Default K2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
I actually started riding a K2 Anagram and am still riding one and it is a great board for a beginner or intermediate rider. Look on this site or other websites for reviews on them and you will find people are very pleased with the purchase. It won't break the bank (Even though money may not be an issue here).

The House is a great place to buy a board. I live in the Twin Cities and am about 10 miles from the actual store. Their employees are very knowledgeable so give them a call if you like to. Ask for Dave if you call because he has been riding for 20 plus years and knows everything there is to know about boards.

Cheers and have fun riding