Base grind/waxing questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Default Base grind/waxing questions

I was wondering a few things about this. I had a base grind done on my M3 two seasons ago because it had a few relatively deep gashes in it. It seemed to remove a lot of the squirlliness (sp?) when riding and the tech explained to me that a lot of boards aren't even all that flat on the bottom brand new from the factory. Are there any reasons to get a basegrind aside from deep scratches? Do boards really arrive in the package inconsitent (ie not flat)?

And waxing...I think it was TWS I read the article in but it was about the olympics and Shaun White etc. saying that the pros in the olympics waxed their boards a rediculous amount of times (like 30 each or more before the events started IIRC) because no matter how much you wax a board you can still get more wax into the base. So, if I wax the piss out of my board once daily up until the real season hits, could JI potentially have to hot wax it less during the full season and be able to get away with just rub on more often?

Are these just peoples opinions or more fact?

Hot waxing gets old, well atleast the scraping.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 10-11-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

i worked at a shop and and i know that when you wax enough it will just build up and can actually create inconsistancies. basically a wast of wax and if you hate scraping imagine what youre gonna have to scrape after 30 runs through the waxer. this is ofcorse with the wax at the shop and not some super high quality stuff- so maybe 30 runs of that does the trick? the base grinder and stone grinder do wonders for a board though.
X1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right
I was wondering a few things about this. I had a base grind done on my M3 two seasons ago because it had a few relatively deep gashes in it. It seemed to remove a lot of the squirlliness (sp?)
Yep most higher end boards, in fact ALOT of boards now come with sintered bases. This means they arent flat and have lots of very small grooves in the base, its to help wax absorption and make the board faster.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Ok I'll probably go back to doing what I used to and just hot wax it once a week, and slap a little race paste on the the mornings before I ride. My M3 has a sintered base so did I damage it by getting a base grind??
Old 10-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wait. What do you mean by "flat?" Do you mean the board is warped? Or that the base has grooves? If you mean the latter, that is a GOOD THING. I like to get base grinds once a year, to take off the old junk thats built up over the season. And yeah, base grinding takes off a bit of the base, but it's so little, it's not going to affect anything at all. Getting a base grind is like getting ride of extra baggage, once it's gone, it's like a fresh new start.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Keep in mind you'll only get so many base grinds out of a board. 3 maybe 4 good grinds and it's done. I've definitely worn out boards with the base grind before. As of late, I get so many core shots, nicks, and stuff riding off piste and backcountry that I quit worrying about it. Just cut that crap off, do a base weld and go. Lots of ptex.

As far as waxing goes. I tend to wax after every two or three outings on a board, or it temps radically change. I tend to really notice the lack of wax on the third full day of riding.

Get yourself real ptex and other tuning tools. Candle ptex sucks. I don't care what anybody says. It blows when compared to real ptex. You can get shop quality stuff at Tognar. I've been buying from them for 4 years or so now. Very trustworthy. I think I am going to invest in the ptex gun this season.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
snowboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowjoe
Yep most higher end boards, in fact ALOT of boards now come with sintered bases. This means they arent flat and have lots of very small grooves in the base, its to help wax absorption and make the board faster.
There are two types of p-tex used on skis and snowboards today...extruded and sintered.
Extruded p-tex is a low molecular weight polyethylene that is manufactured by heating it to 350 degrees F. and pressure feeding it through a die (or slot) to the desired shape and thickness. It is used as a base material for many recreational skis and snowboards.
Sintered p-tex is made by packing ultra high molecular weight polyethylene powder into a cake that is heated and compressed (sintered) to form a log or billet (see diagram below). A lathe or mill is then used to shave (scive) off a thin layer to the desired thickness.

The advantages of sintered over extruded p-tex are 20-25% higher abrasion and impact resistance, a very low coefficient of friction, and the ability to absorb over 3 times more wax. Accordingly, sintered p-tex is found on the bases of most racing and high performance skis and snowboards.

Last edited by snowboarder; 10-11-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
THE OFF PHISTE WHORE

there are so many bases these days
main 2 were already pointed out

now did you get it STONE GROUND or just BELT tuned?

being a tech for over 10 years, i can tell you guys something
i grind my board at least 5 times a year, but you have to know what your doing
I also stone my board twice a year, spring snow is wet so you need a different pattern
Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

That I really don't know. He did say he didn't remove much at all, just enough to get rid of a couple gouges and flatten the bottom of the board a little more.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Get yourself real ptex and other tuning tools. Candle ptex sucks. I don't care what anybody says. It blows when compared to real ptex. You can get shop quality stuff at Tognar. I've been buying from them for 4 years or so now. Very trustworthy. I think I am going to invest in the ptex gun this season.[/QUOTE]

hey are you talking about the ribbon p-tex? cause the only p-tex i know is the
candle one and i want to know about the real p-tex that you say is so much
better. is it the one that site you gave us offers for $1 each ribbon?