Advice on Arbor Cadence - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
climbergrrl

Default Advice on Arbor Cadence

Ok, so I've done my research. But outside of demoing all the boards I have considered (which I'd love to do), I'm stuck.

I'm considering the Arbor Cadence. I've heard all good things, and most of the stores have recommended it as well. My hesitation is that I'm not a small woman, and nothing I've read online, and none of the salespeople seem to be able to fully answer my question - can I still ride a women's board??

I'm 5'8", 180 lbs, size 8.5 men's boots, ride goofy, and am intermediate to advanced - about 6 years riding. I want a freeriding or all-mountain board that's not too directional, since I like to ride fakie and fool around in the park a little, but mainly like to cruise and do most of my serious riding in BC on the mountains and powder, but live in Ontario where I have to be able to ride groomers. I currently ride a 157, and was considering going a little shorter to help with the tricks, but am worried that I'll need that length in a women's board for it to be stiff enough.

Can anyone comment on whether the Cadence would be a good choice, or alternatively suggest a similar men's board that might be more appropriate?

Thanks.

Last edited by climbergrrl; 01-27-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like you should be riding a men's board, something in the mid-150's.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
climbergrrl

Thanks for the reply.
So if you think I should be riding a men's board, can you tell me why? If I'm looking at a 156 women's vs. a 156 men's, is it the stiffness and flex? Do you think I need a stiffer board than the Cadence? And if so, can you suggest any comparable boards?

I'm having difficulty because while I agree that maybe I should be riding a men's board, none of the buyer's guides or comparisons will let me compare men's to women's boards side by side.

Can anyone else offer any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Womens boards generally tend to have more flex and a smaller waist width since they are designed for smaller riders. Since you're "not a small woman" (your words not mine), you will be better off with a men's board. A 155 directional twin should be right up your ally, it'll give you the stabilty you need and still let you ride switch in the park without a worry.
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Men's boards will be a little stiffer as well as wider than a women's board in the same size. If you switch to a men's board, you could ride a shorter board than a women's 156/7, allowing you to do tricks, but maintain the ride you're used to now. As Triple8 stated, something in a 152 to 155 men's would be stiff enough for you to ride all mountain, soft enough for you to press and short enough for you to jib.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Damn...darkninja beat me to it. Damn these ninjas
Old 01-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R View Post
Damn...darkninja beat me to it. Damn these ninjas
Haha now i'm behind you .

And i'm kinda surprised that no sales person could explain the simple difference to the OP. Pretty sad if you ask me.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
climbergrrl

Wow - thanks you guys, you're great with all the info.

It's not that they couldn't explain - I get that women's boards are generally skinnier, lighter, and with more flex, it's that they like to focus on the fact that I'm a woman, and therefore recommend longer, stiffer women's boards instead of telling me about a comparable men's board.

So what about the Arbor Element or Burton Custom?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're probably right in that they see you're a woman and try and size you for that fact. However, based on what you want to do with your board, I'd switch to a shorter men's board.

Between the two boards you've listed, I'd take the Element. I'm just not a fan of Burton's proprietary binding tech. Just a note though, both boards are directional and you mentioned you like to ride fakie, you might want to consdier something else.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Maybe the sales people thought you may get offended if they told you to get a men's board? Not sure but seems like the only reason i can think of that would keep them from recommending one to you.

As for the boards both are good. In my opinion burton's are over-rated. Plus the element has some serious style to it . So my vote goes to the arbor element.