Help to get the perfect board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help to get the perfect board

Hello all

After lurking for a time it is time for me to ask the question that lead me to this great site.

I am having a hard time deciding on what snowboard to buy.

A little background:
I am 42 years old and have been snowboarding for about 15 years.
I am 191 cm tall and about 90 kg, pretty fit, size 12 snowboard boots.
I have always been riding alone or with my wife and kids (all skiing) so I have very little understanding of snowboard lingo....so pop, pow, groomer etc is not all clear to me. Also, not a native english speaker.
I will spend 70 % of my time on prepared slopes, 25% off piste (wish it was reversed) and 5% doing fun stuff like small jumps. I will not ever do half pipes or the like as i work as a surgeon so I value my hands. I like going fast-ish but I really just like to feel the flow, I love doing powder snow. The main reason i changed from skiing. But, as I go with my family most of the time, the time spend off piste is not as much as I would like.

After so many years as a rental slave I think the time has come to get my own board. I simply want a board i can rely on, that I know how will behave.

After looking at a load of webpages i hope to have narrowed it down to a few boards but i need a little help with the final decision.

Due to the vast amount of companies I have focused on Burton boards.
Well, I know it is mainstream and all but feel free to suggest if there is an amazing board I need to take into consideration .
Prize is not an issue!
I am unsure if I will to be looking at a "Wide" board. Likely I will?

The nominees are (all Burton):

Custom X:
as I understand, a "pro" board, unforgiving and difficult to ride. I have the impresion that a lot of focus and perhaps less fun. However i like the technical aspect but I am afraid I might be too old/unskilled/hardcore to really benefit.
Camber, directional.

Custom:
The mainstream one, the solid choice?
Camber, directional.

Sherlock:
Twin board, the least expensive.
Camber/rocker/camber.
My first choice before I started reading about the others.

Custom flying V
Main difference, as I see it, from the Custom is the Camber/rocker/camber type but I fail to really see the difference between the two.....Well, this likely sounds dumb, but thats why i am asking here and it is Twin directions.

Any help would much appreciated, I need my own board now!
Thanks for reading
rawlpluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it would be helpful to know how confident/comfortable you are on cambered boards. What kind of boards have you been riding of the last few years?

If you're sticking with Burton, have you looked at the Landlord? More stable between the feet than the flying V's but with more float than the cambered Custom decks.

The X might be a bit overkill especially if you're riding with kids. The Custom flying V is a ton of fun but didnt hold up for me as well I like at speed, especially in really hard conditions.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Custom/CustomV or Landlord. Comes down to profile preference.
nsrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Where are you riding?

When, on piste, do you carve (tail follows same track as nose, without skidding at all. Looks like this)?

What don't you like about your current rig?

Also:

pop - the force with which a snowboard rebounds from being flexed. comes from the camber

pow - powder snow

groomer - a trail that is regularly raked (groomed) by the snowcat

Last edited by baldylox; 01-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.
baldylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldylox View Post
Where are you riding?

When, on piste, do you carve (tail follows same track as nose, without skidding at all. Looks like this)?

What don't you like about your current rig?
Thanks for the reply, both.

Sadly to say, I really have not been paying attention to the boards I have been riding the first 10-12 years of snowboarding. I simply asked for a board, stated my experience and rode the stuff they passed me.....well...

So, I have no knowledge if my previous boards have been cambered or not.
I do carve, i can ride like the guy in the video, most of the time.

I ride in Europe, I will go to the US and do a heliski tour before i turn 50 but it is a long and expensive trip, most likely attended without the family for max exposure .

I do not have a current rig, this willl be the first board I own myself.
Kinda liked not to care about wrecking the rental bords but I need to have my own gear now.

EDIT
In regards to previous boards, found some photos. Had a rental burton Cruzer 164W 3-4 years ago, found it very (too) easy to ride.

Last edited by rawlpluks; 01-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you like the "floating" aspect of carving in powder, it may be worth looking into a more hybrid/flying-v oriented board than a full camber model.

The rocker/reverse-camber will definitely enhance that floating feeling, but at the potential risk of losing some overall control, depending on the type of snow you ride. I've found that Burton's flying-v models offer a lighter, more playful feel than the stiffer camber counterparts, which tend to feature greater edge hold for hard-packed or icy conditions.

If you ride in ideal conditions most of the time, I think going flying-V is a good route, since you'll benefit from the rocker with minimal exposure to its drawbacks. However, if you spend a lot of time on hard-packed snow or ice, then definitely stick with a full camber board.

And if you're getting your first real setup, don't forget a helmet! It's an easily overlooked component of a first-time purchase, but it's one of the most important.

Cheers! Let us know what you decide.
2014 Burton Hails
2014 Smith I/OXs with Photochromic Lens
2012 Smith Vantage Helmet
Rhyft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I am the same weight.

You should be on a regular cambered snowboard. Med-Stiffer flex and damp. Probably something around 164cm. Of the boards you mentioned, I'd pick the Custom X.

You may also want to look into an all-mountain alpine board with hard boots. They are much easier to find/demo in Europe. I just made that move. It is a lot of fun. Carves are much more powerful.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyft View Post
If you like the "floating" aspect of carving in powder, it may be worth looking into a more hybrid/flying-v oriented board than a full camber model.

The rocker/reverse-camber will definitely enhance that floating feeling, but at the potential risk of losing some overall control, depending on the type of snow you ride. I've found that Burton's flying-v models offer a lighter, more playful feel than the stiffer camber counterparts, which tend to feature greater edge hold for hard-packed or icy conditions.

If you ride in ideal conditions most of the time, I think going flying-V is a good route, since you'll benefit from the rocker with minimal exposure to its drawbacks. However, if you spend a lot of time on hard-packed snow or ice, then definitely stick with a full camber board.

And if you're getting your first real setup, don't forget a helmet! .
Thanks for the advice. I do already have both helmet and a back-shield (?).
As i mentioned, I sadly do not get to ride as much in powder as I would like. Seem 70% of the time (or more) is spent on the "groomers (?), the normal prepared areas where people ride. And, this part is, in my experience, often a little frozen (Davos, Skt Anton, Val Disere etc)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I am the same weight.

You should be on a regular cambered snowboard. Med-Stiffer flex and damp. Probably something around 164cm. Of the boards you mentioned, I'd pick the Custom X.

You may also want to look into an all-mountain alpine board with hard boots. They are much easier to find/demo in Europe. I just made that move. It is a lot of fun. Carves are much more powerful.
Boots-wise my wife just gave me the Burton Imperial (11 1/2) boots for christmas. I am yet to use em, likely next week.
The Custom X looks amazing, but I am having doubts as to if it would be too advanced for me. A little intimidated perhaps as the last sales person I spoke to also seemed almost in awe of it
Old 01-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A non burton board that i can solidly recommend:
K2 turbo dream 164W, really smooth on hard pack and trails, great float in powder. Easy turn initiation. Not a ton of pop but just really easy on jumps. Carves very well for a revers camber/flat board.

Last edited by Riley212; 01-28-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I am the same weight.

My only gripe with this advice is that it seems like quite a large jump from rentals. But if you truly are a strong carver with great technique there would be nothing wrong with it.

Also, in my opinion, cambered boards just arnt nearly as fun or easy to ride in powder. I know you dont ride a lot of it, but its nice to have a board that comfortable in multiple terrain types.

I'm probably being a bit biased because its the only Burton board I'd like to try, and top 5 of any board on the market that id like to try, but the Landlord could work well, especially if you want to take it on a heli trip.

Heres a quick rundown on the landlord. 2014 Burton Landlord Snowboard Review - The-House.com - YouTube
nsrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote