Need help selecting a new board. Someone stole my old one! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ronnie B Goode

Cool Need help selecting a new board. Someone stole my old one!

Hey guys,

So I need a little help. I have a Breckenridge trip planned in late February so recently I took my board out to the mountain for a little warm up. It's the first and only board I've owned, a 2008 165 Nitro Target Fuser Wide with 2008 Burton P1 bindings. Works pretty well for me although I find turning the toe edge to be a little tough sometimes. Well, whatever back to my story. So I'm in the lodge with some friends warming up, there for no more than 15 minutes, we head back out for one last run and when I go to get my board, it's gone! I was shocked. I looked everywhere, but the thing up and vanished. When I finally admitted to myself that it had been stolen I reported it to security and headed back to the lodge to drink my sorrows away. What happened to etiquette on the mountain?? So two things came from this experience 1.) I learned that I need to get a lock so I don't make the same bonehead mistake in the future, and 2.) I need to shop all over again for a board and bindings! When I first did all the research I was a beginner, now I'd consider myself intermediate. I'm hoping that some of you pros out there can steer me in the right direction in replacing my stuff. I've done a bunch of research but I'm still a little confused. I've tried to include as much info as possible and any suggestions you can add would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Personal Info:

Weight: 175 lbs
Boot size: 11
Riding style: Downhill Carving, speedseeker, switch, an occasional jump or two, very little terrain park.
Budget: Trying to keep board & bindings under $650
Location of riding: Mostly Northeast (New York Area), occasional trips to Vermont and once a year to Colorado.
Experience: Intermediate, 3 Years Riding
Stance: Duck

Boards I've looked at:

Nitro Revolt Midwide Snowboard 162 - Men's

Burton Custom Snowboard 162 - Men's

Nitro Target Recoil Snowboard 162 - Men's
(Simliar to my old board but I think I might have advanced beyond it)

Ride Control Snowboard 162 - Men's

These are generally the boards I've looked at but I've had the guys at my local shop throw a bunch of other names at me as well, "Ride Yukon", "Lib Tech Banana", etc. Do you think these boards might be too advanced or too freestyle for what I'll be doing? Are there any other good boards I'm overlooking?

Also, I used Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator to calculate my board size, that's a pretty cool little program, thanks Frosty!

Bindings I've looked at:

Burton Cartel Snowboard Bindings Matte Black - Mens (Is there a difference between 2008 or 2009?)

Burton P1 Snowboard Bindings Black/Clear - Mens
(Burton lists response time with these things. The P1 get a 5 the Cartels get a 7, If I'm just riding the mountain and not doing tricks do I want more response time or less?)

I read up on Ride bindings as well but I'm used to the Burton's already. Love the toecap they have. I'm really leaning towards the Cartel's, are there any other brands you've riden that might be comparable or better?

If I left out any other important info just let me know, Thanks for helping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
iregicide

I've heard that the cartels are nice but I have never used them so I wouldn't know. But I would recommend just shelling out some cash for a K2 Darkstar. I used my friends and it's absolutely sick. It's the board I am getting in the summer (it's cheaper). It's a great all around board
Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

K2 Zero + K2 Auto Ever

$$$

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Banana is definitely too freestyle. Idunno about the Yukon though.

Try and take a look at Bataleon board, TBT raises the contact points so you have less drag since less board touches the snow. Loot at the Bataleon Jam (setback 1.5cm)and the Bataleon Riot (True Twin).

Check out this review of the Riot: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...iot-159-a.html

but snap I really want a pair of K2 Auto Evers
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe a Never Summer Titan if you can find someone selling them locally? If your serious about the sport it would last you quite a few years of hard riding(3 year warranty) and allow you to progress. Or a Lib Tech TRS?

I have a pair of 09 Cartels and love them, way better than my previous 07 missions in terms of comfort. But you had P1's so you already know how comfy their higher end bindings are.

And you probably want more responsiveness as you are more of a speed carving/downhill bombing kinda guy it sounds like. You probably wont notice a HUGE difference between them and your P1's though.

Last edited by arsenic0; 01-28-2009 at 01:10 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ronnie B Goode

K2 Zero and Auto ever are sweet but might be a little out of my price range. Definitely want to look into The Lib Tech TRS, that technology looks really cool. Where can I buy a Bataleon board locally?? Can't find them anywhere. As for the bindings, I keep reading that the Cartel's are more for freestyle being as stiff and aggressive forward stance as they are. Do I sacrifice the comfort of the P1's for performance from the Cartels? What about the Co2's?

Last edited by Ronnie B Goode; 01-28-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you want some quality stiff bindings, but still want some cash left over for the board, look into Bent Metal.

Agressive forward lean is anti-freestyle.

If the Zero's price scares you off, look at a K2 Zeppelin, or a Capita Black Death Inc. (the latter (08 model) recently popped up on WhiskeyMilita for $225 if I remember correctly)

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 01-28-2009 at 04:51 AM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
chaser

whatever board you choose, spray paint the top sheet flat black and put a bunch of stickers on it. Will make it less attractive to thieves!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ronnie B Goode

Haha. I'm gonna buy the ugliest board on the market! Even thieves will be like "Damn, I need to steal a board and give it to that poor bastard!"

Seriously though, all this info has helped a lot. I've been back to the board shop and they say that if I'm staying in the Burton line, the Triad might be a nice compromise between the P1's I had and the Cartels. Very comfortable yet a little more aggressive than the P1's.

As for the board, I've heard a lot of good things about the K2 Zeppelin, might be up my alley. Are they built pretty well? They said as an intermediate I might not even notice or be able to take advantage of the technology in the Lib Tech line. I'm going to another place today to see if they have a Bataleon Riot I can look at.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ronnie B Goode

Alright fellas, just got back from the board shop. I looked at the K2 Zeppelin. That's really nice board! The dude there thinks that it would be good for my riding style and if I fit it with Burton Triads or even C02's I might be all set. Do you guys agree? I could probably pull the trigger over the weekend.