Another Binding Thread: Rome or Raiden - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another Binding Thread: Rome or Raiden

Sorry for yet another binding thread but i need your help! i have chosen my board (option franchise) and now all i need is some bindings to complete the set up! Im looking for a decent all mountain binding thats comfortable also.

I have my eyes on the Raiden Phantoms and Eero's (effectively the same) or the Rome Targa's or 390's

im a bit of a noob to the whole equipment scene so any help would be great, i want something that going to be really responsive and that i can take anywhere on the mountain and wont kill my feet.

Thanks

any other binding reccomendations feel free to throw them in!
stani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Yud

I like my romes but i cbf adjusting them other than my stance angles
they are pretty cumfy
Old 01-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

the targas are going to be the most responsive (and the most expensive)
the eeros and the phantoms are going to be the same; the eeros have forged buckles if that makes a difference to you
the 390s and targas have a more universal toe strap (raiden straps can possibly slip off a boot with an extremely round toe profile, not a problem with k2 boots)
the 390s and targas will have more dampening in the forefoot
the 09 390s have a very cushy ankle strap

raiden medium fits 8-11 (very wide 11 may not fit width-wise), rome l/xl fits 8-14 (14 is really pushing it)

the raidens have 2 ankle strap mounting locations (as well as 2 toe strap positions)
the romes have 3 ankle strap mounting locations
the raidens have a micro-adjustable highback rotation system, along with 3 holes in the heelcup
the romes have 2 holes in the highback for rotation, along with 3 holes in the heelcup
the raidens have micro-adjustable heelcup with 3 baseline positions
the romes have 3 positions for the heelcup
the raidens' toeramps curve upwards
the romes' toeramps are flat

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 01-28-2009 at 07:36 AM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
the targas are going to be the most responsive (and the most expensive)
the eeros and the phantoms are going to be the same; the eeros have forged buckles if that makes a difference to you
the 390s and targas have a more universal toe strap (raiden straps can possibly slip off a boot with an extremely round toe profile, not a problem with k2 boots)
the 390s and targas will have more dampening in the forefoot
the 09 390s have a very cushy ankle strap

raiden medium fits 8-11 (very wide 11 may not fit width-wise), rome l/xl fits 8-14 (14 is really pushing it)

the raidens have 2 ankle strap mounting locations (as well as 2 toe strap positions)
the romes have 3 ankle strap mounting locations
the raidens have a micro-adjustable highback rotation system, along with 3 holes in the heelcup
the romes have 2 holes in the highback for rotation, along with 3 holes in the heelcup
the raidens have micro-adjustable heelcup with 3 baseline positions
the romes have 3 positions for the heelcup
the raidens' toeramps curve upwards
the romes' toeramps are flat

Great info!!

I currently ride Vans Encore 09 boots in a US size 10.5

what would you recommend i thought id decided on the raidens but i hear such good things about the romes!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i would recommend making sure the boots fit into the bindings

GOD IS DONUT
Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
tonysimoni

how do you now if your boots fit in the bindings?
Are there easier ways then taking your bindings to the shop?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

yeah i like the sound of the rome targas and everyone seems to give them great reviews, is it really important to try your boots in the bindings first as no shops round me stock the targas and was going to order online.

i ride a vans encore 09 boot if that helps!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll put it this way, I liked the Rome's, but I bought the Phantom's last season...

Rome's are super solid and dependable, I just happened to like the way the Raiden's felt when demoing both of them. The targa's were my #1 until I tried the Phantoms... I have last years Eero version of the Phantom which is just a different colorway.

I am riding Union Data's this year and I love them as well. I'd say the Phantom's and the Data's are pretty comparable. The biggest difference would be that the Phantoms are a little bit more stiff longitudinaly (lengthwise) and the Unions are more stiff laterally (side to side)

The Targas reminded me of the Ride SPi's I had before switching to the Raidens... I loved them, but as my weight increased and my knees got older they just became too stiff for me and not forgiving enough. I know the targas are adjustable and all, but even in their softest mode I found them to be a bit too stiff for my liking...
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
I'll put it this way, I liked the Rome's, but I bought the Phantom's last season...

Rome's are super solid and dependable, I just happened to like the way the Raiden's felt when demoing both of them. The targa's were my #1 until I tried the Phantoms... I have last years Eero version of the Phantom which is just a different colorway.

I am riding Union Data's this year and I love them as well. I'd say the Phantom's and the Data's are pretty comparable. The biggest difference would be that the Phantoms are a little bit more stiff longitudinaly (lengthwise) and the Unions are more stiff laterally (side to side)

The Targas reminded me of the Ride SPi's I had before switching to the Raidens... I loved them, but as my weight increased and my knees got older they just became too stiff for me and not forgiving enough. I know the targas are adjustable and all, but even in their softest mode I found them to be a bit too stiff for my liking...
thanks for the reply, im having trouble tracking down the targas in the uk anyway there all sold out so think im either going to get the phantoms or the eeros i was just a little worried the toe strap may slip off as the toe is very rounded on my vans encore boots!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yeah, the toe strap might be a problem, but there appears to be enough "flat" in the toe to keep the strap on. Of course, some silicon or such webbing on the straps would greatly help. Raiden toe straps are constructed as leather with plastic straps around the perimeter.

Quote:
Raiden doesn't use M/L or S/M or L/XL. Their Medium is a straight up Medium. Large will not fit on a 25cm width board without making major concessions.

Raiden Medium = 4.5 inch space in the forefoot/toe area (my old size 9 Head boots (wider than K2) just barely fit), 4.25 inch space where the highback attaches to the heelcup, 9.25 inches minimum from the edge of the toe ramp to the edge of the heel airbag (just past 9.75 inches maximum). The highback rises just over 10 inches from the heel airbag at the default highback and forward lean positioning.
Raiden's Large is quite a bit bigger than their Medium.

GOD IS DONUT