Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Yes asym (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/123681-yes-asym.html)

tonicusa 01-29-2014 04:58 PM

Yes asym

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this board in today. YES does such a great job with their boards. They always look awesome in person. This board up close has a lot of fine details that are just straight up pimp.

And it's the YES boys. Because even the Basic I have from the Nidecker factory is one of the nicest looking boards I've owned.

Gonna go see if I can break this thing in the pipe tomorrow:)

Triple8Sol 01-29-2014 09:48 PM

We always seem to have similar tastes in gear. Let us know what you think! I was close to pulling the trigger on one this season, but got a Space Case instead. Maybe next year...

tonicusa 01-29-2014 10:06 PM

Lol! You can't teach good taste.

I'll post some impressions this week. Im a little worried though because I've been riding some great cambered boards this season. But early on when we had some snow my YES Big City was a blast. So hopefully this ASYM will have more snap now that its being made at GST.

How is that Space Case riding? Any good on hard pack?

scotty100 01-30-2014 02:01 AM

The asym is basically another in the greats series renamed I think maybe with a slight tweak to the shape. Although I think I heard they are going back to another greats board for 2014/15. I still ride my great beauties twin from 2012. Love that board.

Triple8Sol 01-30-2014 04:08 PM

Yeah next year it's back to being called the Greats and features graphics of snowboarding legends. Kind of weird they went to such a plain topsheets this season. Maybe to highlight the change to the asym shape (and not just the previous asym sidecuts)?

JPOW 01-30-2014 04:18 PM

I was torn between a YES board and the Forum (that I ended up getting) for this year. Damn, looks nice! Let us know how it goes!

tonicusa 01-30-2014 04:19 PM

Hate to say it guys but I was really disappointed with the way this thing rode. Perhaps 156 is too short for me but with the clipped tips it feels even shorter. Stiff and chunky and not as agile as I would like. It felt a little like riding triple base the way you would roll it up onto an edge. And at that level of stiffness I would much rather ride one of my cambered boards that have more pop and spring in the pipe and jump line. Its torsionally stiff which I don't need and then laterally it's nothing great so it's a weird combination. Not a board I want to ride in the jump line and half pipe. Does it carve well on piste? Yeah but there are a bunch of boards that carve better in my opinion. It could be this board is meant more for powder, but I don't ride a twin in powder. I want a twin to rip hardpack, pipe and jumps. This thing was nothing exciting or fun.

cav0011 01-30-2014 04:29 PM

That's unfortunate.

slowandlow 01-30-2014 04:40 PM

I was really hoping for a positive review on the Asym. I've been riding their Basic the past 2 seasons and really love it. Was going to replace it w/ the Asym next season but I guess I'll keep looking.

tonicusa 01-30-2014 05:00 PM

I'm riding a 2014 Capita NAS right now, and at 159 it's still lighter, poppier, and more fun to freeride than the ASYM. I own a YES Basic and YES Big City too. But I think the camrock excels in powder and when the flex is playful. It feels like they tried to stiffen the ASYM up from the old Greats and now it's sort of in "no mans land" in my opinion. I thought the camrock combined with this new stiffer profile might feel more stable or catch free in the pipe and on jumps but it was just sort of awkward and unnecessary, and I found myself feeling a lot better on the Capita. Still the ASYM is a nice board but there isn't an application I would reach for it for.