Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Another "first board" thread (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/123689-another-first-board-thread.html)

KayZ 01-29-2014 05:55 PM

Another "first board" thread

Spent the real dough on boots like people have advised me to do, they fit like a glove. Got a 12 size Ride anthem (5 stiff).

On to the board question: basically my uses will be piste & terrain/park, about 60/40 of the time respectively.

I am currently using a friends borrowed Park Pickle GNU and GOD I LOVE THIS BOARD. Compared to every rental i've had this is like heaving. Crisp initiation on all turns, carving feels as stable as i could imagine it, and as opposed to my rentals I've never even come close to catching an edge - feel the phenomenon approaching at high speeds when i flat foot and can get on an edge just at the right time to fix. Pop feels great and even with my sloppy landings on my practices off of terrain park hops I manage to land and not get blown the hell away.

I believe it is a 2009 Park Pickle GNU, 156 cm.

I am ~195 lbs 6'4, my set up is usually either 15 -15 or 20 -20. I want to make sure whatever board I get doesnt generate toe drag (the boot is size 12).

Any input will be much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Riley212 01-29-2014 07:18 PM

why not get a pickle if you liked it?

KayZ 01-29-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley212 (Post 1485481)
why not get a pickle if you liked it?

I really dont have the $500 to blow on one.. they dont nearly come down in price where i could afford it. :dizzy:

Bparmz 01-29-2014 11:27 PM

Well how much are you looking to spend? And will it be for just the board, or board and bindings..?

KayZ 01-29-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bparmz (Post 1485969)
Well how much are you looking to spend? And will it be for just the board, or board and bindings..?

I've done a little reading on what it was that made my love the pickle so much, I assume now that its the fact it had MagnaTraction and was a rocker camber...

So i'm looking at something with BTX or MTX, rocker with magna...

Hoping to buy a last years model and keep it around $200 (just for the board), currently see this

On Sale GNU Carbon Credit BTX Wide Snowboard Blem up to 40% off

and thats an option, although I had hopes for a pricetag slightly futher south. :dunno:

Riley212 01-30-2014 07:04 AM

the carbon credit is a solid board, it rides a lot like the pickle. but that 153 is a bit short for you.

this might be closer to your price range Ride Agenda Wide Snowboard 2013 | evo outlet

JPOW 01-30-2014 08:00 AM

If you like the Pickle so much, look for a good deal for last years model..

And you need to post your budget for us to help..

For a park board, with your height and weight (and boot size), I'd look at a 157Wide, (I have a Forum Youngblood Doubledog 155W park board, and I'm 6" and 185 lbs and it fits perfect).
You can find a lot of good park boards from last years model (or even previous year) for around $300..
Lib Tech Skate Banana
GNU Park Pickle
Forum Youngblood Doubledog
Never Summer Evo (around $400)
Capita Horrorscope
Arbor Westmark
Capita DOA

I've ridden just about all of those (Have owned the Youngblood and Horrorscope), and they're all great.
Good luck Bro Montana

Bamfboardman 01-30-2014 08:31 AM

Rossi Templar

Rossignol Templar Magtek Snowboard 2013 | evo outlet

KayZ 01-30-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamfboardman (Post 1486465)

Something similar to this is what I've hoped to see. I don't know much about rossi but the reviews seem legit. Will this ride similar to a pickle?

I wanted to keep it around $200 for the board and get a magne-traction as I ride icy NY exclusively. All GNU boards seem to start out around 350+ on sale and prohibitive for my shallow pockets :dizzy:

bsrkoacar 01-31-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayZ (Post 1485929)
I really dont have the $500 to blow on one.. they dont nearly come down in price where i could afford it. :dizzy:

Look into last years 2013 Never Summer Legacy boards. They where $500+ boards last year when they came out and i picked mine up for $270 (brand new) at the beginning of the season. I'm 6'3'' 220lbs and love it. By far the fastest board I've been on, holds a sick edge too.