New board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board

Hi guys, I am new here and looking for advice on a new stick. I have been snowboarding for many years on and off, but I have 0 days the last 3 years due to living in the Netherlands. I am 5'10'' and weigh 168 pounds and I would say I am an advanced rider who enjoys pow, tree lines, natural features and when that's not possible I just want to have fun around the mountain; almost no park, no hard charging.

My last board was a Flow Strike, which is really banged up so I am looking to replace it. I will keep my old bindings and boots which are Raiden Blackhawks and Northwave Legends respectively. I was initially eyeying the K2 Raygun which should be similar flex wise to my old board and plus is a rocker which is something I want to try, but I am having second thoughts now and thinking that maybe I should be looking at something a bit more advanced (I found some good deals for Capita DOA or Ride Machete for example). Thing is that the best case scenario for me is two trips of 5-6 days max per year, so I am not sure if it is worth it and I should just stick with a Raygun.

What would you do? Any other suggestions for boards that would suit me?
jimbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The raygun will be a fun snowboard, and good for coming back from a break but might be a little boring or soft once you get back in the swing of things.

the doa and machete are true twin and more on the freestyle side of things. you loose some pow float that you would get from a directional board.

look at the salomon time machine, flow drifter, or ride wild life if you want to step up from the raygun without stepping up too much in price. They are all different camber profiles and the ride is the stiffest out of the three. The salomon will ride most similar to the strike.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

One of the reasons I was considering the Raygun is that I read that even though it is a cheap board meant for advanced riders, it can be enjoyed by riders of all levels.

Another question is the size of the new board. My old one was 158, and even though I thought it was going to be long, it never felt so. I always thought that my next board would be a tad shorter, but I am not sure if this will heavily affect pow riding, considering the rocker shape of the new one and that I am bit heavier now.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

that pretty much sums up the raygun

you could get anything from 154-158 and be alright. only slight differences in deep pow with shorter boards.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi guys, I am ready to buy one and I have found a good deal for Nitro Uberspoon. I read great reviews about it and sounds like a great all round board. My only complaint would be the camber, even though it is a new profile, different than traditional camber boards.

It's not that I hate camber, but I want to try rocker so bad after reading about it all these years. Any thoughts?