Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   First board - skill level? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/123881-first-board-skill-level.html)

snoopy7548 01-30-2014 12:56 PM

First board - skill level?
 
I'm looking to buy my first board in the next few days but I'm facing a dilemma. I'm a beginner (had 1 lesson and absolutely loved it) but I managed to pick it up fairly quickly; by the end of the 2 hours I was out there I was confident going fast and able to (somewhat sloppily) pull off s-turns... my toe turns just need a little work. I fell countless times but my confidence and motivation never dropped. I'll take a few trips down the blue runs the next time I go, which should be soon.

My goal as a snowboarder is to become an aggressive all-mountain rider with great carving abilities. I also want to work towards riding switch. I have very little to no interest in park.

I live on the east coast so I'll be riding mainly groomers and hard-pack. I'm 5'10", a little over 150lbs so I'm looking to get a 158cm board. I've got size 11 boots (DC Scout) and Rome 390 bindings.

I've been looking at camber/camber-dominant boards but there seems to be so few of them. I'm comfortable spending up to about $400, since I'd like to buy a board I can grow into. These are some of the boards I've been considering:

Lib Tech Hot Knife (possibly too advanced for me?)
Gnu Metal Guru (hybrid rocker... not too sure about this one)
Rome Reverb (true camber but expensive, no tech)
Capita NAS (too stiff?)

I've been reading reviews on TheGoodRide and it sounds like the Lib Tech board might be too much for me to handle. Can anyone with experience with it share their thoughts on using it as a beginner board? The 2013 model is on sale for $364 which is a good price IMO.

I'd also welcome any other board suggestions; I haven't necessarily narrowed it down to those specific four, so I'm open to just about anything. Some of the items on my checklist: true twin, camber, medium flex, sintered base, under $400 is nice, and edge tech would be a plus. Thanks!

djsaad1 01-30-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy7548 (Post 1487153)
I'm looking to buy my first board in the next few days but I'm facing a dilemma. I'm a beginner (had 1 lesson and absolutely loved it) but I managed to pick it up fairly quickly; by the end of the 2 hours I was out there I was confident going fast and able to (somewhat sloppily) pull off s-turns... my toe turns just need a little work. I fell countless times but my confidence and motivation never dropped. I'll take a few trips down the blue runs the next time I go, which should be soon.

My goal as a snowboarder is to become an aggressive all-mountain rider with great carving abilities. I also want to work towards riding switch. I have very little to no interest in park.

I live on the east coast so I'll be riding mainly groomers and hard-pack. I'm 5'10", a little over 150lbs so I'm looking to get a 158cm board. I've got size 11 boots (DC Scout) and Rome 390 bindings.

I've been looking at camber/camber-dominant boards but there seems to be so few of them. I'm comfortable spending up to about $400, since I'd like to buy a board I can grow into. These are some of the boards I've been considering:

Lib Tech Hot Knife (possibly too advanced for me?)
Gnu Metal Guru (hybrid rocker... not too sure about this one)
Rome Reverb (true camber but expensive, no tech)
Capita NAS (too stiff?)

I've been reading reviews on TheGoodRide and it sounds like the Lib Tech board might be too much for me to handle. Can anyone with experience with it share their thoughts on using it as a beginner board? The 2013 model is on sale for $364 which is a good price IMO.

I'd also welcome any other board suggestions; I haven't necessarily narrowed it down to those specific four, so I'm open to just about anything. Some of the items on my checklist: true twin, camber, medium flex, sintered base, under $400 is nice, and edge tech would be a plus. Thanks!

Do you know what board you were riding when you took the lesson?

Deacon 01-30-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy7548 (Post 1487153)
I've been reading reviews on TheGoodRide and it sounds like the Lib Tech board might be too much for me to handle. Can anyone with experience with it share their thoughts on using it as a beginner board? The 2013 model is on sale for $364 which is a good price IMO.

Don't do that.

snoopy7548 01-30-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsaad1 (Post 1487193)
Do you know what board you were riding when you took the lesson?

I used a Rossignol. I'm certain it was the TrickStick 158cm mid-wide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deacon (Post 1487209)
Don't do that.

Yikes. Any specific reason why not? My impression is that they're really aggressive riders so what they describe as "unforgiving" might be because they're really pushing the board.

MJP 01-30-2014 01:29 PM

Got a Banana Magic for sale in a 157.....PM me if interested.

djsaad1 01-30-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy7548 (Post 1487225)
I used a Rossignol. I'm certain it was the TrickStick 158cm mid-wide.

That's very different from something like the hot knife. Good boards that are under $400 that would be as easy to handle as the Trickstick would be somethig like the

GNU carbon credit
K2 raygun
Arbor coda

My concern would be learning on a full rocker or catch free type board and then wanting to switch to something with more camber or all camber. It might be quicker to learn on a full camber board like most everyone that has been snowboarding for 5+ years has done, and then decide if you want to go hybrid or not.

So on that note maybe a hot knife would be better for you since it has a lot more camber, but don't expect to be able to ride it like you did the rossiginal right away.

snoopy7548 01-30-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsaad1 (Post 1487257)
That's very different from something like the hot knife. Good boards that are under $400 that would be as easy to handle as the Trickstick would be somethig like the

GNU carbon credit
K2 raygun
Arbor coda

My concern would be learning on a full rocker or catch free type board and then wanting to switch to something with more camber or all camber. It might be quicker to learn on a full camber board like most everyone that has been snowboarding for 5+ years has done, and then decide if you want to go hybrid or not.

So on that note maybe a hot knife would be better for you since it has a lot more camber, but don't expect to be able to ride it like you did the rossiginal right away.

Yeah, I'm prepared to "start over" in the sense that going from a rocker to a camber would be a big change, but I think a camber would suit my future needs better. I've only invested 2 hours learning on the Rossignol, so it's not a huge deal for me to get my ass kicked again.

I have to admit I had my heart set on the Hot Knife because it meets all my requirements and it's not too expensive. I'm planning on going to a board shop tomorrow so I'll see what they recommend.

djsaad1 01-30-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy7548 (Post 1487305)
Yeah, I'm prepared to "start over" in the sense that going from a rocker to a camber would be a big change, but I think a camber would suit my future needs better. I've only invested 2 hours learning on the Rossignol, so it's not a huge deal for me to get my ass kicked again.

I have to admit I had my heart set on the Hot Knife because it meets all my requirements and it's not too expensive. I'm planning on going to a board shop tomorrow so I'll see what they recommend.

Where do you live or ride? There are some resorts that will let you demo a board for a couple days and if you buy a board from them they wont charge you for the demo.

There is a lot of that in Jackson Hole.

snoopy7548 01-30-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsaad1 (Post 1487329)
Where do you live or ride? There are some resorts that will let you demo a board for a couple days and if you buy a board from them they wont charge you for the demo.

There is a lot of that in Jackson Hole.

I live in MA, and I'll be doing just about all of my riding at Wachusett.

ksup3erb 01-30-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy7548 (Post 1487153)
I'm looking to buy my first board in the next few days but I'm facing a dilemma. I'm a beginner (had 1 lesson and absolutely loved it) but I managed to pick it up fairly quickly; by the end of the 2 hours I was out there I was confident going fast and able to (somewhat sloppily) pull off s-turns... my toe turns just need a little work. I fell countless times but my confidence and motivation never dropped. I'll take a few trips down the blue runs the next time I go, which should be soon.

My goal as a snowboarder is to become an aggressive all-mountain rider with great carving abilities. I also want to work towards riding switch. I have very little to no interest in park.

I live on the east coast so I'll be riding mainly groomers and hard-pack. I'm 5'10", a little over 150lbs so I'm looking to get a 158cm board. I've got size 11 boots (DC Scout) and Rome 390 bindings.

I've been looking at camber/camber-dominant boards but there seems to be so few of them. I'm comfortable spending up to about $400, since I'd like to buy a board I can grow into. These are some of the boards I've been considering:

Lib Tech Hot Knife (possibly too advanced for me?)
Gnu Metal Guru (hybrid rocker... not too sure about this one)
Rome Reverb (true camber but expensive, no tech)
Capita NAS (too stiff?)

I've been reading reviews on TheGoodRide and it sounds like the Lib Tech board might be too much for me to handle. Can anyone with experience with it share their thoughts on using it as a beginner board? The 2013 model is on sale for $364 which is a good price IMO.

I'd also welcome any other board suggestions; I haven't necessarily narrowed it down to those specific four, so I'm open to just about anything. Some of the items on my checklist: true twin, camber, medium flex, sintered base, under $400 is nice, and edge tech would be a plus. Thanks!

A Rossi board with Amptek. They make true twin and directional versions. Mid-flex, sintered, camber dominant.

Or the K2 Raygun. Flat camber and extruded.

Edit: Ride machete/machete GT as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2