Recommendations for Cold wax - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caffeine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alberta (Canada)
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommendations for Cold wax

Hey guys


I am curious to know what you guys use for really cold temperatures like -30 degrees Celsius. I have used Dakine cold wax but my board is still real slow in minus 25 and under. Is there a wax that will give me some decent glide in cold weather like this (I was thinking Swix LH4 rated down to minus -32 or Beaver cold wax) or will a board be slow no matter what in conditions like these?

Cheers.
Caffeine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
There are a few days a year where it's pretty much impossible to glide across the top because it's so cold. Any good cold temp wax can help, but nothing can help the fact that the snow is bloody cold! Just like nothing can overcome the bad suction you get with spring boarding.

One thing that might help is a good base structure. Have you had a base grind lately?
poutanen is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Caffeine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alberta (Canada)
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
There are a few days a year where it's pretty much impossible to glide across the top because it's so cold. Any good cold temp wax can help, but nothing can help the fact that the snow is bloody cold! Just like nothing can overcome the bad suction you get with spring boarding.

One thing that might help is a good base structure. Have you had a base grind lately?
No I have never had a base grind.....isn't that something you get when your base is really dinged up?
Caffeine is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
No I have never had a base grind.....isn't that something you get when your base is really dinged up?
Yes and no, if the structure is gone, or there wasn't a good structure to begin with, a base grind can really help with glide in spring slush. Not sure if it has any effect on really cold snow.

Here's a site with some comments about it. Not sure how accurate they are.

Ski Base Structure Theory

Last edited by poutanen; 01-30-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo
poutanen is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Yes and no, if the structure is gone, or there wasn't a good structure to begin with, a base grind can really help with glide in spring slush. Not sure if it has any effect on really cold snow.
A base grind and structure is really going to help break the suction effect in spring conditions. There may well be some advantage in very cold conditions, but my understanding is that there isn't or that the advantage wouldn't be noticeable.

Your best bet is cold temperature wax, but there is a temperature point where the advantages should be described as "beats doing nothing"
Bones is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
A base grind and structure is really going to help break the suction effect in spring conditions. There may well be some advantage in very cold conditions, but my understanding is that there isn't or that the advantage wouldn't be noticeable.

Your best bet is cold temperature wax, but there is a temperature point where the advantages should be described as "beats doing nothing"
same thing happened to me. was like riding velcro. Try Zardoz not wax?

2015/16 -17- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06 - 181K
KIRKRIDER is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The following is from tognar

Waxing tips for ski and snowboard


COLD SNOW = SLOWER GLIDE
Cold slow is usually dry snow...in fact, somewhere around -20*F (-30*C), snow feels more like beach sand and bases are really slow...whether correctly waxed or not. Warmer temperatures usually create more moisture in the snowpack, which provides greater lubricity and helps the base slide...up to a point, since too much water creates suction that again slows your glide. Ideal glide usually occurs at temperatures just below freezing (28 to 30*F, or -2 to -1*C...depending on the moisture content). Tests conducted by the Ski Research Group at Eagle River Nordic in Wisconsin (using nordic skis gliding downhill through a speed trap on a 12* slope) produced the following results:
Snow Temp Glide Speed % Difference
28*F 18mph --
20*F 17mph 5% slower
10*F 15mph 11% slower
-4*F 12mph 33% slower
-10*F 8mph 56% slower

There is also a chart listing temperature ranges by some of the major wax companies. Obviously, not all wax companies and the info is a bit dated, but there are very few waxes that go below -30F
Bones is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
 
24WERD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I usually just use hertel FC739 and buy the cold snap mix 50/50 wax and go.

Of course I have not been in under 10f yet and I would be glad to see actual powder this year.
24WERD is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
Hey guys


I am curious to know what you guys use for really cold temperatures like -30 degrees Celsius. I have used Dakine cold wax but my board is still real slow in minus 25 and under. Is there a wax that will give me some decent glide in cold weather like this (I was thinking Swix LH4 rated down to minus -32 or Beaver cold wax) or will a board be slow no matter what in conditions like these?

Cheers.
You mean CH4? or LF4 (low fluoro).... they will be good to about -32C

if that's what is available locally and/or what you have on hand... then use it.
tanscrazydaisy is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the Maplus Green wax during typical Jan-Feb Alberta weather.
https://tools4boards.com/store/produ...tegory_id-null

I got them from the shop in Calgary.
hpin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome