Intermediate rider "what board should I buy thread" - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Intermediate rider "what board should I buy thread"

I've been riding 4 times so far and I am buying a board now. I believe I would like a freestyle board, stiff, camber, 160cm or so. I want the board to be stiff for charging down the moutain and preferably a directional twin shape.

I've been looking at discount sales on evo.com and the-house, i've found several boards, ride agenda, rossignol Templar magtek, ride machete gt. I'm looking for a board under 300 and preferably last years model. I've been riding a HEAD board that I borrow, i've found several of those for very cheap but I have heard they aren't good quality. Any recommendations?

Rider weight: 200
Height 6' 2"

Also, I just purchased some union flite bindings from rei.com for 95 bucks, L/XL, so I think i will need a wide board. Thanks in advance!
DOJOLOACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the machete gt is the stiffest out of those 3. its good for going fast, not so good for rails and stuff.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay thanks, I just got back from a store that sells the machete, and several ride boards in the mall. They recommended against me (a beginner) getting a stiff board and camber, and suggested a flat bottom or rocker. The reason why I wanted a intermediate board is because I am a quick learner and have years of experience in downhill skateboarding and other various board sports, plus i want something to grow into.

I have read on here that rocker on a freestyle board can act as training wheels for a beginner rider, I don't necessarily want that.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would just get the GT if thats what you want, otherwise as you progress you will be like "this board feels like its holding me back," even though its not, because you didn't get the one you thought would be "too advanced" when it wasn't really.

The GT has rocker and a tiny bit of camber and is stiff tip to tail and torsionally but you are a big dude and should be able to handle that just fine.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Ride Machete GT is 380 for last years model, and the Ride Agenda is only 180 for last years model. Would I still be happy with the agenda? It's really confusing because I have heard camber is good for freestyle, yet the agenda has rocker. Then there is the buckwild for 340, i have heard it is similar to the machete gt in other threads on here.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The ride boards are mostly flat with a little bit of rocker in the tips. haveing rocker isn't a bad thing, as there are a zillion different types of rocker and each companies rocker profiles are different. I ride rocker boards that i can still go really fast on with no issues.

The agenda is a board that many would suggest for a new rider. You would probably be happy on it for several seasons

If you are gonna get last years a board off of evo.com i would get the K2 Happy Hour in the 161 size. That is the best all around board they still have in stock.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alright, I think the happy hour is out because I will be needing a wide board with my 11.5-12 boot size and L/XL bindings. At what speeds does "chatter" typically start to occur. I know I won't be hitting insane 50mph+ speeds for a long time so maybe the stiffness doesn't matter as much for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

i ride the machete gt 154 with cartels... it's real stiff and charges anything, real fast on groomers and takes some leg strength to power... i'm 5'7" 155

mostly ride deep powder and steep stuff with it, my friends like going real fast and riding through trees so keeping up is key

i also have a rome pusher that i ride but it is rockered and doesn't go as fast, i noticed this when i was pushing it as hard as i could and still couldn't keep up

the happy hour looks like a great board, i was looking into it before i got the gt
json is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJOLOACH View Post
I've been riding 4 times so far and I am buying a board now. I believe I would like a freestyle board, stiff, camber, 160cm or so. I want the board to be stiff for charging down the moutain and preferably a directional twin shape.

I've been looking at discount sales on evo.com and the-house, i've found several boards, ride agenda, rossignol Templar magtek, ride machete gt. I'm looking for a board under 300 and preferably last years model. I've been riding a HEAD board that I borrow, i've found several of those for very cheap but I have heard they aren't good quality. Any recommendations?

Rider weight: 200
Height 6' 2"

Also, I just purchased some union flite bindings from rei.com for 95 bucks, L/XL, so I think i will need a wide board. Thanks in advance!
An important factor besides skill level, size and weight...is where the hell do you ride and what are the conditions? Where I ride, 4 times out hardly qualifies as a beginner....4 seasons perhaps as an intermediate/advanced if you are riding 30+ days a year. Yes, I concur to buy up if you want to progress and it sounds like you might be a quick learner and aggressive....GOOD for you. Perhaps better money spent would be to take a private lesson from a recommended instructor and at the end of the lesson ask him/her about recommendations for a board to advance your progression....if they are any good and have been riding/instructing for a while they will have some reasonable suggestions considering your level...where you want to progress to and relative to the conditions at your local hill.

edit: At size 12...reg or mid wide...but you got to read the numbers on width and width at inserts and angle of bindings. Directional freestlye...what ever....length...about 156-158-160...depending on board profile, stiffiness and conditions Cambered vs rockered...depends on if you like to pop, flex vs torsional stiffness, edge control, railing turns and stability at speed....thus only being out 4 times...I truly doubt you know what those are and what it really feels like...thus the reason for the above private lesson. The issue is not how cheap the board is....beginner silliness...the issue is finding a board that will help/allow you to progress....again however only being out 4 times...most any intermediate board will work...because the issue to progress is more time/experience on the hill....its not the equipment as long as they work. However if you buy an advanced/expert level board ....it will beat your ass until you give up or are determined to learn to ride it and then master the beast.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 02-02-2014 at 01:39 PM.
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks again everyone, just ordered the ride agenda 161 wide, and a quiksilver jacket on clearance to go along with it. I decided to go with the cheaper board, more so because I am a beginner than anything else. Next up is boots, which I will probably just buy from a local store at the mall. Can't wait to get on the slope!