Freeride snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freeride snowboard

Hi. I am lookin for freeride snowboard but I have no idea about brand and size. All time I ride on camber boards so I am 182cm tall and my weight 95kg and boots 11.5 US. I think about Never Summer Raptor. Thanks
TonyMoscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm 5'8 185, 11.5 boot and just picked up the Raptor X 161cm.

Edit: That's 178cm and 84kg in your weird metric system.

Amazing board but i've only taken it out once so far

Last edited by emc19; 02-02-2014 at 03:02 PM.
emc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Probably in the 162-165 size. At those lengths you don't need a wide.

The raptor is a good board. If you like it; get it.

If you want to look at other boards; Salomon Mans board, Yes Pick Your Line, Ride Berzerker, are all solid choices. These have rocker but will feel more similar to riding a regular camber board than the raptor.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
Probably in the 162-165 size. At those lengths you don't need a wide.

The raptor is a good board. If you like it; get it.

If you want to look at other boards; Salomon Mans board, Yes Pick Your Line, Ride Berzerker, are all solid choices. These have rocker but will feel more similar to riding a regular camber board than the raptor.

I ride about 10 year (jumps rails some pow) but last years I have started freeriding. So last time in Austria i tried Custom X 160 and that was not cool. I have no idea about Freeride board. One man told me about NS Raptor and that's all. I have no idea about Raptor and i have no information about this board. So if you know realy good board for freeride(big mountain), some trees and pow it will be great. And what about size? 164-168??

Last edited by TonyMoscow; 02-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why did you not like the custom X?

Knowing what characteristics you didn't like will help narrow down what board you should pick.

The Raptor Is a good board, most people who ride one have liked it. but most people like whatever board they buy. It has rocker in the middle, and camber under your feet. Never Summer Raptor Snowboard | Backcountry.com

The Pick Your Line and Mans Board, are also very good freeride boards. the pick your line probably has the best float in powder but the others are not far behind, They both have camber between and under your feet and rockerd tips to lif the contact edges out of the snow, this creates a powerful yet slightly more forgiving ride than the custom x and floats in powder better as well. Salomon Snowboards Man's Board Snowboard | Backcountry.com
Yes. Pick Your Line Snowboard | Backcountry.com

The videos on the websites do a pretty good job of showing the difference in camber profiles and board shapes.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Knowing what characteristics you didn't like will help narrow down what board you should pick.

The Raptor Is a good board, most people who ride one have liked it. but most people like whatever board they buy. It has rocker in the middle, and camber under your feet. Never Summer Raptor Snowboard | Backcountry.com

The Pick Your Line and Mans Board, are also very good freeride boards. the pick your line probably has the best float in powder but the others are not far behind, They both have camber between and under your feet and rockerd tips to lif the contact edges out of the snow, this creates a powerful yet slightly more forgiving ride than the custom x and floats in powder better as well. Salomon Snowboards Man's Board Snowboard | Backcountry.com

The videos on the websites do a pretty good job of showing the difference in camber profiles and board shapes.
I had 07|08 Custom X 160 so I had a lot of problem in powder and trees. I setup set back stance and this little help me in pow but all time I must push on my back foot and I can t turn my Custom X in trees with this stance. So I seach board for trees pow fields. I thinks about boards like Custom Fly V, Arbor A frame and other boards but i need really advise from people who ride. I know that this is really hard to find board. A had my favorite boards Burton Un Inc and Easy livin after this boards a spend a lot of time for find board like Un inc and EL and find Rome Agent and this is very awsm board.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Most important will be to find out if you like rocker between the feet. The Raptor is a nice board, very good characteristic is its smoothe ride in crud and moguls, very forgiving. It carves very good and has decent float in pow. But it has not the stable flatvased ride like camber or RCR (rocker in tip and tail, camber between feet) board. I didn’t like the wiggly feeling of CRC boards, others love them. Personal preference...

Husband has a Raptor 164 at 85kg. Float was decent (far better than with his forner Custom X 162, but not as good as with the Flagship 164). So I'd say if you get a Raptor and want to use it for pow, don’t go beneath 164.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Most important will be to find out if you like rocker between the feet. The Raptor is a nice board, very good characteristic is its smoothe ride in crud and moguls, very forgiving. It carves very good and has decent float in pow. But it has not the stable flatvased ride like camber or RCR (rocker in tip and tail, camber between feet) board. I didnít like the wiggly feeling of CRC boards, others love them. Personal preference...

Husband has a Raptor 164 at 85kg. Float was decent (far better than with his forner Custom X 162, but not as good as with the Flagship 164). So I'd say if you get a Raptor and want to use it for pow, donít go beneath 164.
I tald that i don t like Rocker and other Rocker boards. I had some time ago Forum Chillidog and sold it. So all people tall me that Rocker and other Rocker boards will be better in Freeride(pow and trees) But I have no idea mb this is no wotking.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

What do u think about Ride Highlife UL or Ride Berzerker will be better. Nitro Pantera? K2 Ultradream ? I have no idea about size some people tall me that 168 super tall.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

The Highlife is a pretty aggressive board, great to charge, stable at speed, fun to carve, but it's pretty stiff = it won't be fun in moguls (imagine to ride a ironing board through bumps). Don't know the other two.

Give as much info as possible what you expect from the board, what you're going to use it for and the typw of rider you are.
Will you use it only for pow/trees? How deep pow? How do you ride? Fast n aggressive? Playfully? Cruising? Hit natural jumps? Ride switch? Will the board be your specific pow/tree board only or do you intend to use it on groomers/park/... as well? If also on groomers, what conditions? Mogul runs? Hardpack? Ice?
The more specific you describe what you expect from the board, and what you liked and disliked in boards you had so far, the better the recommendations on models and sizes you're going to get
Size is always a trade off between float/stability and agility. You're into riding deep pow in open terrain, straightline, high speed -> go bigger. Riding narrow terrain, quick turns, need for agility -> go smaller

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 02-03-2014 at 04:36 AM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote