Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Snowboard lenght? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/124641-snowboard-lenght.html)

JustinHD 02-03-2014 12:15 PM

Snowboard lenght?

Hello

I'm a beginner snowboarding enthusiast and I'm looking to purchase a board to get used to and refine my snowboarding skills. I've been riding rentals till now but by doing so its a bit harder to learn because everytime you get a different board...different lenght etc.

I'm 6.2", 210 pounds and for boots I use 10-10.5.

I've researched a bit on the net and via friends who practice this sport for quite some time but I am still unsure what board size I need or whats best for my body ratio.

I'm looking for standard snowboarding on marked slopes, no tricks or rocks/trees, at least not now.

So, what board size do you guys think I need?

During my rental "trials" i've ridden 155-164 but due to the lack of experience I didn't notice any difference.

Thanks.

poutanen 02-03-2014 12:39 PM

For your weight/ability I would target something right around the 160-162 mark. Keep in mind that many boards are built differently, and the main factor affecting length is weight.

So when you're shopping for a board, look at the suggested weight range for a particular board, and try to get the size that you're closest to the middle of.

The style you'd be looking for should be "all-mountain" which basically means it's a middle of the road board, instead of a park or off-piste oriented board.

JustinHD 02-03-2014 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Only one problem with researching the recommended weight for a board.
I'm looking to buy a refurbished board (or a second hand one) and most of the time these boards are kinda old in terms of models so finding the exact board is close to impossible.

I'm looking to buy a second hand one because most likely once I'm very good at this sport I will look into investing into some brand new equipment. Right now I'm looking for something cheap that will last me a few seasons. I found some candidates but I'm unsure about the size...hence this topic.

Cheers.

poutanen 02-03-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinHD (Post 1497241)
I'm looking to buy a second hand one because most likely once I'm very good at this sport I will look into investing into some brand new equipment. Right now I'm looking for something cheap that will last me a few seasons. I found some candidates but I'm unsure about the size...hence this topic.

Just a piece of advice, don't buy something that you're unsure of the age. Chances are it's a 10 year old POS that isn't worth $40...

My guideline is this:
- Brand new board in season, I'd like to pay 40-50% off at the end of the year.
- Brand new last season, no way I'm paying more than 50% of MSRP
- Used last season or possibly two seasons old I'm paying 25-30% of MSRP. More than that is a rip off...
- Used more than two seasons old? I'll take it off your hands for almost nothing, only if it's a board that I'm really interested in

I got a 2012 Burton Custom last year for $145. It was used with some wear showing, but otherwise in perfect shape. I bought a brand new (old stock) Prior recently for $170 (MSRP $700), and earlier this year got a 2011 Nitro Slash in nearly perfect condition for $100.

Don't spend too much on shit! :D

And yeah, aim for 160-162 or so. Couple CM isn't going to kill you in either direction.

JustinHD 02-03-2014 02:16 PM

Yeah I know, I'm not looking to pay a fortune, thats why I'm going for something used.

In general, I don't care if the board is 2-3 years old as long as it looks good. Taking that into consideration, I'm willing to pay a decent price for it.

During my rental rides, I used boards that were a few years old and they still performed good, at least in my newbie opinion.

Right now I'm looking to get off cheap but with a decent brand.

Thanks for the info.

JustinHD 02-03-2014 02:29 PM

Quick questions :

Would 164 would too big?
Would 159 be too small?

24WERD 02-03-2014 03:26 PM

Go for a board that is considered more on the stiff side and it'll feel like a med flex to you.

I'm in the same weight class as you.

Try getting the gnu danny kass monster 155 on ebay for under $200.

that'll be good for everyday cruising around the resort.

Later on you could get a big mt, powder board like a 160.

poutanen 02-03-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinHD (Post 1497681)
Quick questions :

Would 164 would too big?
Would 159 be too small?

Maybe I missed it earlier, but what hill(s) you going to spend most of your time at?