Beveling base on full camber board for park - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beveling base on full camber board for park

So I got a cheap camber park board from a friend and was wondering if i should bevel my base. I detuned the edges but that was about it. I plain on doing rails and medium jumps with 30 being biggest. Also anything I should expect from camber in park? I have ridden it on the groomers and such but never in park.

Thanks
ryguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Every park board used to be camber and many of the best ones still are. Expect a ton of pop and precision. You could throw a 2 degree base and side bevel on it at the local shop and then you don't need to dull your edges.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why would you suggest a side bevel? I though it made the board gripper and wouldn't you want dull edges in the park because my park boards always have dulled edges. And can't wait to ride the board
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Dull edges have nothing to do with the "degree of angle" on your side edge. Most park boards by Rome and other companies come with a 2 degree side bevel and usually the same on the base bevel. This way the edges are lifted so to speak and it's harder to catch them.

If you are a pretty good rider you don't necessarily need to dull your edges to ride rails, especially if you have a park friendly angle on them. Of course you can always dull the shit out of whatever edge angle you have and then it will be less catchy but also less fun to ride the rest of the park with.

Most guys do a little of both, a -2 degree or more bevel and then just let the edges get dull as the season goes on. If you are saying you have a cambered board and you think the edges are 0/0 or -1/-1 it's a perfect time to rip them back to -2/-2 and then dull them slightly with a gummy stone. That's what most cambered jibby park boards are. Although a lot of the Burton stuff is -1/-1 and you can always get by with that and dull them a bit. But if you are talking about "setting" the board up for yourself and you want it uber rail friendly put the -2 or -3 bevel on it at the shop.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I was just wondering because I ride a flat board in park and i just dulled the edges and did a 1 degree base bevel
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What's the cambered board he gave you?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

A burton protest 142
Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So classic Burton twin. It comes -1/-1. Meaning there is a -1 base bevel and side edge bevel on it already. So just leave it the way it is and go ride it. It won't feel catchy anywhere. Unless you have never ridden a cambered board in your life, but in that case you just need to get used to it and learn, and it will be much easier if the edges aren't all dulled out. If you mainly ride rails it will dull itself pretty quickly.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Awesome again thanks I have ridden camber before so Hopefully I like it