beginner/intermediate board recommendation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default beginner/intermediate board recommendation

I'm a longtime expert skier looking to get serious about boarding. I've spent about 30 hours on a board so far, found that I really enjoy it (aside from the bruised knees and butt) and want to buy a board that will not only be forgiving enough for a beginner but will allow me to progress through and perhaps beyond intermediate levels. I can't spend too much without pissing off my wife so my budget is limited to around $4 - 500. Oh, and I live in Korea so there is no such thing as powder or backcountry. Pretty much all groomed runs with ice and crud mixed in occasionally.

After spending a few days studying and browsing store websites, I am leaning towards purchasing the Burton Process Flying V 159 with Cartel EST Bindings. I wasn't thinking to go with Burton bindings as well but I've read a lot of good things about the EST system.

What do you guys think?
skoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i think that will be a really fun setup for you.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Definitely get the est bindings if you end up going with a Burton board.
vajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the quick replies guys.

Barring any serious negative feedback, I will probably pick up the board and EST bindings the day after tomorrow.

I mainly want to make sure that the Process Flying V fits my needs reasonably well as far as being a decent intermediate board that will do well on groomed runs.

I forgot to mention in my OP that I'm 6'2," and weigh about 182 lbs
Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

I still prefer camber for most groomers, especially hardpack groomers. The process flying v will be fine for you, but I would go for camber process or custom if that area tends to have a lot more hardpack and occasional icy spots than soft natural.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajohn View Post
I still prefer camber for most groomers, especially hardpack groomers. The process flying v will be fine for you, but I would go for camber process or custom if that area tends to have a lot more hardpack and occasional icy spots than soft natural.
Vajohn I think you are absolutely right. Unfortunately I can't find the regular Process for sale anywhere in Korea and the Custom is a bit too expensive for me
Old 02-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

The flying v should still be really nice if you can't get the camber version. Custom is definitely pretty expensive. I usually try to buy gear that is from a previous season, but I guess you don't have that luxury over there.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just went to the shop to take a look at the boards a few minutes ago. They actually had the regular Process (wasn't on the website) but the longest size was a 155. I told him I was also interested in the Flying V 159 but the guy told me that was too short - in fact he was really, really adamant about it. He said that for my height (I'm a little over 6'2" - 189 cm) and weight (about 82 kg) the shortest board I should use is a 162. I told him I was still a beginner and he said that didn't matter.

According to him, given my height, a correct stance would put my feet at less-than-ideal locations on a shorter board.

Any thoughts on this?

I may not have a choice at any rate as there are very, very, very few boards for sale over 160 cm (even 160 cm) in Korea.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoram View Post
I just went to the shop to take a look at the boards a few minutes ago. They actually had the regular Process (wasn't on the website) but the longest size was a 155. I told him I was also interested in the Flying V 159 but the guy told me that was too short - in fact he was really, really adamant about it. He said that for my height (I'm a little over 6'2" - 189 cm) and weight (about 82 kg) the shortest board I should use is a 162. I told him I was still a beginner and he said that didn't matter.

According to him, given my height, a correct stance would put my feet at less-than-ideal locations on a shorter board.

Any thoughts on this?

I may not have a choice at any rate as there are very, very, very few boards for sale over 160 cm (even 160 cm) in Korea.
Not correct at all.

With 82kg you can ride from about 157cm+ depending on the board, conditions and style of riding. check the manufacturer's weight range for each board you consider. Check the stance range each board has...

For example, at 6'2" and 82kg you could totally ride my 159cm board. Rated 67-90kg with stances from 19.75" to 24.5". Your stance would probably be something around 23" to 24"....

So... look at the weight chart for the board you're interested in. Shorter board for playful riding and maneuverability; middle for all mtn; longer for pow, fast, going big. If you're going to ride pure deep pow, then yea... look at 160cm+, but for simple stuff, between 157-160 would do ok, specially for a beginner.

Last edited by F1EA; 02-04-2014 at 11:05 PM.
F1EA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

You echo what most people on this site seem to say. I found it really odd how strongly this guy was telling me that I had to ride on a 162 at least ... and this is at one of the most reputable board shops in Seoul.

On a side note, I found a guy selling a used Jamie Lynn Phoenix Classic (2013) 157 cm at a price cheaper than the new Burtons. Decisions ...