gen. maintenance tips - Page 15 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #141 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Actually just running the iron over 1 or 2 times will only warm up the excess wax. Not enough heat will be applied to open up the p-tex.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #142 (permalink)
Tolem

I read that its a good idea to take some colder temp wax (I usually put all-temp on my board) and rub it / drip it along the edges before you iron the board to help protect them more from harsher snow.

Since I will be riding a lot of man made snow and its pretty cold around here, would that be a good idea to prevent edge burn?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #143 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

man made snow has sharp edges and will burn the base. I would suggest using a combination of of diff temp waxes on your base. If you are using graphite, rub it on fists, never drip on graphite!! rub on, then iron in.

I use a combo of grahpite,all temp, and cold...sometimes if it is wet, I use fluorocarbon all temp overlays for wet Pac NW conditions. If you need more info let me know.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #144 (permalink)

if i have a new board and ride about half normal runs and half freestyle, would I need to do anyhting else to my board besides hot wax. Would i have to do anything with the edges. I have heardof edges coming really sharp but they seam pretty smooth. Any help is apprecieated.
boarder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #145 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Not really, unless you know what you're doing... in which case you wouldn't be asking anyways.

If you want, you can take a ceramic stone or any other fine grit polishing stone and detune the contact points.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #146 (permalink)

Yea I really don't know what I am doing. I am just going to leave the edges as thee are. If for some reason that would affect my riding negatively can someon please put in some input..thanks
boarder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #147 (permalink)
pyro13g

Just depends how/what you're riding. YOu can tune the edges to catch less likely on rails, etc, but reduces turning ease/grip. You can optimize them for carving or ice. YOu can go middle of the road. Sharpening is almost a no brainer with a tool made for it, Sharpie marker, and a diamond stone to polish and de-bur. Probably want to detune tip and tail at a minimum.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #148 (permalink)
Dalau

Can I use the flat side of a computer RAM stick as a scraper? I ordered a tuning kit from tramdock, and it came without the scraper, so I'm salvaging whatever I can.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #149 (permalink)
alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalau View Post
Can I use the flat side of a computer RAM stick as a scraper? I ordered a tuning kit from tramdock, and it came without the scraper, so I'm salvaging whatever I can.
Usually you need a fair amount of force for scraping, so I think your old ram stick'd
break. I've had good luck with a plastic car windshield scraper though.
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #150 (permalink)
Dalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf View Post
Usually you need a fair amount of force for scraping, so I think your old ram stick'd
break. I've had good luck with a plastic car windshield scraper though.
heh. I tried it the other night, and was scraping for about 30 mins. One ram stick got dull, and I had to go to another.... and I also couldn't apply a lot of force, because the stick is so thin (both in terms of the thickness and the width) that it hurts the fingers in a way similar to when you learn how to play the guitar. I've got a real scraper coming in the mail tho, so this should be the last of my ram scrapers. =)

edit: I also put on too much wax, so that's another reason it took so long to scrape.