gen. maintenance tips - Page 23 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #221 (permalink)

CAPiTA Outdoor Living Snowboard 2008 : Snowboards | evo outlet

thats my board 158 any tips for maitence specifally for this?
DJ FroZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #222 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ FroZone View Post
CAPiTA Outdoor Living Snowboard 2008 : Snowboards | evo outlet

thats my board 158 any tips for maitence specifally for this?
umm, same as any other board?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #223 (permalink)

I'm starting to try something to clean the base of my snowboard. The beauty of living in Southern Cali is that even during the winter daytime highs still get around 70's or even 80's so I leave my board outside with the base facing up for 15 mins. The sun warms up the wax and I can scrap it all off. I've found that it works even better than hot-scrapping. I don't even have to use base cleaner, (I could if I the base still looks a little dirty) and I wipe if down with paper towel and it's good for a new wax.

For those who finds the color of the wax is staining the base of their board could try this, since this should remove most of the wax but I guess it only works if it gets warm enough during the day.
skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #224 (permalink)
fcrb

I'm going to be waxing my own board and for a few friends and had a question about some of the equipment that will be needed to wax a board. I bought a basic swix iron, and now I need to buy a brush, scrapper, and wax.

1. I've watched some videos of guys scrapping boards and some use metal scrappers. Are these putty knifes? Any recommendations?
2. How many applications can I get from 3/4 pound block from hertel or how long would the 2.5kg toko last?
3. Any recommendation on where to buy a cheap nylon brush? Hardware store (home depot/lowes) carry tapico(?), but no nylon.

Read that the 2.5kg toko was ~$32/50 on tognar, but they've raised it to $75. Has there been a price increase in the past 9 months?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #225 (permalink)

1) Yes I believe it's a putty knife, but I would recommend using a plastic scraper and see how you like it before using the putty knife.

2) If you're looking for a cheap brush I find them at dollartree store: Dollar Tree, Inc.: Search Results on brush

try to find the stiffest brush would work best.

3) I myself use around 26 grams or an ounce of wax for each snowboard but I've read it can be cut down to 12 grams for each wax. So for me a pound of wax would last me around 16 wax jobs.

Hope this helps
skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #226 (permalink)
dv8

I've got a bit of a noob question.

My board has a sintered base with a black and white design, and while waxing and scraping last night, I noticed that the shavings had the color of the design underneath. So, either the wax took on the color of the base (wax color is pink), or I've scraped through the wax and into the base.

Is it possible, with a fiberglass scraper, to scrape off too much wax and start taking out the base?

Also, how hard/durable is the base? I've got some shallow gouges in the base, but when I scratch at them with just my fingernail, it looks like I can sort of "even out" the edges of the gouges, if that makes sense. So I'm not sure if those small gouges are just in the wax, or into the base.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #227 (permalink)
fcrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
1) Yes I believe it's a putty knife, but I would recommend using a plastic scraper and see how you like it before using the putty knife.

2) If you're looking for a cheap brush I find them at dollartree store: Dollar Tree, Inc.: Search Results on brush

try to find the stiffest brush would work best.

3) I myself use around 26 grams or an ounce of wax for each snowboard but I've read it can be cut down to 12 grams for each wax. So for me a pound of wax would last me around 16 wax jobs.

Hope this helps
I ended up buying a putty knife because the hardware store I went to said they had some scraps of acrylic laying around I could buy cheap, but when I went there they didn't have any and had a $14 sheet of 18x24. So I waxed my board and maybe it was too dim in my garage, but I couldn't see any dust when I was brushing off old wax and during structuring/buffing. Other than that my board looks great, going to test it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help and info guys!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #228 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
use water and see how well it runs off
I am guessing the better it runs off the better the condition of the wax job?
Frozen208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #229 (permalink)
chicagoblue

I did a quick search and I didn't see this anywhere.

Here's a guide with more information than most people will ever need about waxing, tuning and repairing. (From Tognar)

Ski Snowboard tuning repair waxing
Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #230 (permalink)

hey guys i have been riding my whole life nd my uncle owns a shop so he tells me everything u need to know about keeping ur board .. if anyones wants advice or has questions just message me