gen. maintenance tips - Page 33 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #321 (permalink)

After a lot of neglect on my snowboard (2005'ish Gnu Altered Genetics) I cleaned and waxed my snowboard in preparation for this season. The base was very dry, but now it looks quite good. I scraped it for a long time.

The only thing I noticed is that on the both sides of the base, there are scuffs running parallel to the edges. The scuffs are not very deep. But they are slightly visible after waxing, as the wax has settled into some of these light scuff marks. And you can subtly feel it by running your hand over the area... it just feels a bit rough. Is this normal? Is there any way to polish these scuffs out? Should I re-wax this area?

I was using a acrylic One Ball Jay scraper... is it possible the scraper damaged these areas a little bit? I did spend extra time there as I waxed more heavily on these high contact areas. The scraper has all rounded corners except one is a 90 degree corner. I used this edge to scrape the sides to be more accurate. I hope that corner didn't somehow scuff the board up. I obviously was holding the scraper flat and not gouging it with the corner, but I'm not sure.
danimaltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #322 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are the scuffs white in color and near the edges?

If so, sounds like the wax didn't seep into the base enough. Try re-waxing and applying the iron to your board for more time to let it warm up more.
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #323 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
Are the scuffs white in color and near the edges?

If so, sounds like the wax didn't seep into the base enough. Try re-waxing and applying the iron to your board for more time to let it warm up more.
Yes they are. Kind of a cloudy white, and you can see faint white lines running along the edge. It actually does look similar to how the entire base looked prior to waxing... but maybe slightly more pronounced now. It would make sense if it didn't soak it up properly... the base was very dry to begin with. I'll try rewaxing the edges.

Thanks
danimaltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #324 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Does anybody have advice for when it get's really warm out and all that dirt and oil shit gets on the bottom of your board turning it all black. Just wondering if anyone knows how to prevent this or anything else.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #325 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
Does anybody have advice for when it get's really warm out and all that dirt and oil shit gets on the bottom of your board turning it all black. Just wondering if anyone knows how to prevent this or anything else.
theres no way to prevent it but to get it off use a cheap wax, iron it in, but instead of letting it cool before scraping just scrape it as soon as youre done while its still hot and it will pull up a good amount of dirt and grime. you might have to do a pass or 2 to get all the dirt off.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #326 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Alright thanks, I usually just wash it all off with a sponge. Which do you think is better for my board the hot wax thing?
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #327 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
Alright thanks, I usually just wash it all off with a sponge. Which do you think is better for my board the hot wax thing?
washing it with a sponge could do more harm then good to your base depending on what you use to clean it. if you go that route the best thing to use is some kind of citrus based cleaner but i think hot waxing is better cause it wont dry your base out.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #328 (permalink)
glm

What do you guys do with all the wax shaving after you're done scraping? I always muck up my basement by making it really slippery
glm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #329 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Shopvac. If you don't have one a dustpan works well.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #330 (permalink)

I will admit I did not read the whole thread so I hope this is has not been answered yet.

When companies mention the temperature on waxes, is that the air temp or snow temp? If it is snow temp, how do you tell what that would be?

Where to buy scotch brite pads in Canada?

For base repair, do I just need to buy some ptex, drip it in the gouge, and then scrape off the excess?
-relk- is offline   Reply With Quote