gen. maintenance tips - Page 9 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #81 (permalink)
Veteran Member

When I went to grab stuff today...I just realized that scotch brite == the sponge things I use for dishes.

And a sheet of acrylic for $1 worked great, enough to make ~3 scrapers or something...even just by cutting with a knife (with 3 usable sides each! ...because of my inability to cut in straight lines)
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #82 (permalink)
captainowns

Citrus cleaner is good, but as it's an acid, and not a base, It would seem to me that it could potentially damage the base more so than kerosine.

While kerosine is similar to diesel, it evaporates very fast when spread out. I don't believe it leaves an oily residue. I could be incorrect, however I have been using kerosine on my base for the past 4-5 years (before I bought cleaner) with pretty good success.

The horse hair brush is a good recommendation as well. The videos are great for begginers, as words sometimes just aren't enough!

Also, where are you riding at on Hood? I'm riding meadows myself.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #83 (permalink)

Is the scotch bright used in place of the hard horse hair brush?
because i dont have that kind of brush.. only the scotch bright
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #84 (permalink)
Oh god...NO!

I get by nicely with just a Scotch-Brite pad! Just really buff that board so your pad glides across from tip to tail of your base with little to no resistance (by shooting your pad across the base like a shuffleboard). When the snow is wetter though (think spring-like temps) then you want to have a more "grooving" on your base. That prevents a "suction-cup" situation between your base and the snow. That is where a brush really shines through but I've even used a nylon hand broom that you can find just about anywhere. Remember, your not trying to gouge your base.
Slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughterhouse View Post
I get by nicely with just a Scotch-Brite pad! Just really buff that board so your pad glides across from tip to tail of your base with little to no resistance (by shooting your pad across the base like a shuffleboard). When the snow is wetter though (think spring-like temps) then you want to have a more "grooving" on your base. That prevents a "suction-cup" situation between your base and the snow. That is where a brush really shines through but I've even used a nylon hand broom that you can find just about anywhere. Remember, your not trying to gouge your base.
ok so there is few pads by scotch brite.. which 1 do u use? the easy erase? scouring pad? or scrubbing sponge? lol i have been using the scouring bad.. like a brillo pad but not as abrasive.. i use it to even out what i didn't get off in the scrape. it does leave scoure lines from tip to tail like u stated above
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #86 (permalink)
captainowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I am an instructor at Mt. Hood Meadows....we should take some turns some time. I work on Thursdays and Fridays...

Word. I ride Wednesdays, saturdays, and Sundays. Thursday and Fridays I've got class at PSU. You ride any of those days?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #87 (permalink)
danemeyer20

so what are the best tools for base and side edging? I have seen a bunch online but most seem to be pretty cheap
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #88 (permalink)
danemeyer20

OK, after some detailed reseach on all products i went with these tools. This gives me exactly what i need to create an 89 degree edge. A reminder that this angle is for my all mountain board and used for carving and griping ice later in the year, not the park(it can also be used for the park but i have a specific board that has much duller edges). I went with the same brand SWIX for everything and included EVERY tool needed for sharpening the edges. You dont have to buy anything else other than the items listed below. The file fits in both the side and base edger. SWIX is a high quality product used by professionals. The entire kit should cost $100 which is not bad at all if you constantly cut your edges and this way you can also help out family and friends.

Base Edger - SWIX 1 Degree file guide (picture shows .5 but i got a1 degree edger)

Side Edge - SWIX 2(88) Degree edge file guide with roller and clamp.

File - SWIX 2nd cut chrome 8" file

Diamond Stone - SWIX Fine diamond stone

Gummy Stone - figured i would throw it in here just because

Old 02-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #89 (permalink)
Augie09

link: multi tuner

What about this multi tuner? it can do base and side edge any where from 90 to 85 degrees in .5 degree increments? Anybody used it?

Thinking of buying it while it's on sale.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #90 (permalink)
danemeyer20

I personally dont really trust the multi-tuners. The files in them are not of very good quality. If they dont use them in any ski shop I wouldnt use it on my board. Thats my general rule. If you screw up the base edge you might as well buy a new board so i wont take that chance