Help me pick new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me pick new board

Ok guys I need some ideas on for a new board. So many choices out there and I want to see what would be best for me.

34 year old male 6' 220 pounds all riding is freeriding and powder if I am lucky. Living in Ohio I get out quite a bit here on hardpack, and ice. I do take trips out west and love to ride bowls and powder if I get a chance. No park or jumps really for me. I would say I am advanced intermediate if that is a class. Can handle all blacks out west and some bowls on good snow days.

Current set up- Ride Insano boots-size 10 love how stiff they are, K2 formula bindings Large, and Rossi Angus midwide 158. Been a good set up so far, but I like to charge hard and the board sometimes gets a little sketchy at speed or in tracked out snow. Thinking I might need bigger like 161 to 164 but not sure.

I have been looking at the offerings from GNU and Lib Tech due to magnetraction and the ice we get here in Ohio. But I am open to any and all ideas. Just want to see what you guys think would be the best for me. Thanks.
IAFFbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

La Nina MC 162-164 for a pow board that is still fun in hard pack.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Given the fact that you will do most of your riding in your own backyard, I would suggest you give a look at a Lib Tech Lando 160. This board is a real hard charger, much stiffer than your Angus, but you have the weight ( and I suspect the strength ) to do it justice. It has MT, a nice setback that will serve you well when you do see some pow, but will more than handle all of the other conditions you have listed. It is a CRC profile, which is way different than your Angus and you may or may not like it, so:

Do yourself a favour and demo if you can before you buy.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Given the fact that you will do most of your riding in your own backyard, I would suggest you give a look at a Lib Tech Lando 160. This board is a real hard charger, much stiffer than your Angus, but you have the weight ( and I suspect the strength ) to do it justice. It has MT, a nice setback that will serve you well when you do see some pow, but will more than handle all of the other conditions you have listed. It is a CRC profile, which is way different than your Angus and you may or may not like it, so:

Do yourself a favour and demo if you can before you buy.

Good luck on your hunt.
i was gonna say this too, didn't know if it would be big enough
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Have a few questions Oldman, with the Lando being CRC and a different profile how will it react like flatbasing and just cruising. Will it be more prone to catch an edge. I have not had a change to demo many boards and rarely do at my local hill. Also do you think 160 will be a big enough to get a good effective edge, just wondering. I was thinking some of the chatter I get out of my board now results from it not being long enough. I will also look at the La Nina as well. Too many damn choices which is a good thing I guess.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

You are going to find this board a little "looser" or "squirrel y" than what you are used to.

I suggested this board for you given you size, but I don't know if where you ride you are going to have the vertical to do this board justice. It might be great for you on your trips, but for your day to day riding, it might be overkill if you know what I mean. It is a very stiff board, designed for really hard charging on big mountain terrain.

The chatter you are experiencing is not due to the size of your board, but the flex of the board vs. your weight. You are in need of maybe a slightly longer board, but more importantly a stiffer board to handle your weight. If you like your Angus, stick with Rossi and look at the One Magtek or maybe the Krypto. Both are much stiffer than your Angus and something in the 160 to 164 range should serve you well.

As you mentioned there are so many options out there. But for you, no matter which brand you go with, make sure it is a decently stiff board to handle your weight.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Oldman for the tips and explanations on board stiffness. The Lando has definitely peaked my interest. Just to muddy the waters for fun. I had thought originally that I should get the Lib Travis Rice Pro model 161 pointed but that has not been recommended. Would that board not be a good fit for what I am looking to do? Just wondering how the Rice would stack up against the Lando. I am not to concerned about how the Lando will ride on my local hill. I feel I would be able to easily muscle it around the huge vertical hill we have here in Ohio, joking of course.